The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 09, 2006, 02:19pm
Official Forum Member

forward pass/backwards pass

Is the only determining factor in whether a pass is forwards or backwards the flight of the ball (ie. where the ball is released from and lands (or is touched)) or is it determined by where the passer is standing? (NCAA)

I am asking this in reference to the Texas/Oklahoma play last weekend and many who claim to "know the rules" have different interpretations.

Thanks.
Old Mon Oct 09, 2006, 02:31pm
Official Forum Member

Right out of the NCAA definitions:
A forward pass is determined by the point where the ball first strikes the ground, a player, an official or anything beyond the spot of the pass. All other passes are backward passes. When in question, it is a forward pass rather than a backward pass when thrown in or behind the neutral zone.

I saw the play and it appeared backward from the camera angle that showed the play.
Old Mon Oct 09, 2006, 02:47pm
Official Forum Member

I'm a Longhorn, but I thought it was pretty clear that the spot of Thompson's hand was behind the 12 yard line, while the spot where the ball hit Peterson in the hand was ahead of the 12. I think they got screwed... again. But at least this time the game was pretty much over.
Old Mon Oct 09, 2006, 03:07pm
Official Forum Member

My understanding of the "forward/backward" determination is that it should be based on the relative position of the ball as follows:

1. ball position at release
vs.
2. ball position at the point of 1st contact with anything (a player, the ground, or an official).

If 2 is behind 1 then we have a backward pass, everything else is a forward pass.
Old Mon Oct 09, 2006, 03:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyGardner
My understanding of the "forward/backward" determination is that it should be based on the relative position of the ball as follows:

1. ball position at release
vs.
2. ball position at the point of 1st contact with anything (a player, the ground, or an official).

If 2 is behind 1 then we have a backward pass, everything else is a forward pass.
Or if 2 is on the same line as 1 we still have a backwards pass.
Old Mon Oct 09, 2006, 04:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Actually, its "if 2 is ahead of one, we have a forward pass. Everything else is a backward pass."
Old Mon Oct 09, 2006, 06:06pm
Official Forum Member

Good grief Roy, this isn't high level mathematics.
Either the passed ball was in front of where it was tossed or not when it touches those things we said it can touch.

The only difficult task is being in the correct viewing position.
Old Mon Oct 09, 2006, 10:06pm
Official Forum Member

I don't technically disagree but when adding in the "when in doubt" clause I'll stick with my post as is. I know for a fact that there is not anyone on the 3 boards that I work with that is going to call a cross field pass that "appears" to be thrown from the 10 yd line, that "appears" to bounce on the 10 yd line, 20 yds across the field, a backward pass.
Old Mon Oct 09, 2006, 10:59pm
Official Forum Member

To add more confusion, I believe the Fed. rule relates to the initial direction of the throw. Thus, in a heavey wind, a pass that lands well behind the passer can be rightfully ruled a forward pass.