The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 22, 2002, 09:40pm
Official Forum Member

How does this happen? 100 HS V + college + adult
rec league? (Maybe I ain't working hard enough?)

FWIW, if a player wants to chew gum I ain't gonna be the
guy who tells him to spit it out. If you're athletic enough
to chew gum & walk you're welcome to stay in my game

I work a couple of differnt associations as a rule, am available around the clock and willing to travel. It isn't always easy to get them but you can do it.
Of course, you don't have much of a life outside of officiating either, but hey.....I am single and enjoy doing it. I have worked as many as 4 varsity games a day, 2 in the AM and 2 at night. It doesn't put that much strain on you if you are in shape, and running is easy for me.
My local association realistically expects a level 3 official (we rank from 1 down to 5) or above, to work at least 60 varsity contests each season. We have approximately 160 officials working.
You have to live or travel to where the games are at and it works out.

As for your choice on gum, more power to you. Like I have said, it is your choice unless you are like me and the associations that I have worked with.......don't allow it.
Multiple states have refused to allow the player to chew gum, and some of those states are included in those who say they won't do it.
When your assignor or assocation tells you to do the little things, that is just one way to step up to the higher level.
I have called state finals in 2 states and regionals in another 3.
Sometimes you have to do what the boss wants even though it sounds stupid.
Old Tue Oct 22, 2002, 10:00pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by scottk_61
Oz, like I have said, you call your game.
I routinely do over 100 HS Varsity games a season, not to mention the JV and middle school games that go along with each school year.
Hell, I don't allow college players to chew gum either.
Adult ball is another matter.
To those who are so adamnant in saying that it is wrong, then you have either never had a problem, are unaware, or are scared to take a stand against the game delaying issues of gum on the floor and needless risk to a player.

I didn't bring up the original subject, so I can't be the only one who has a question about it, now can I?

Just for the record, I dont' allow rubber bands either. That arguement is still going on also.
1) Rubber bands are not legal. Rubber bands are considered jewlery under NFHS, NCAA, and FIBA rules.

2) Yes, chewing gum while playing basketball is not a smart thing to do. My wife and I do not allow our sons to chew gum while playing any of the sports in which they participate. BUT, there is nothing in the Elastic Clauses of the rules per NFHS, NCAA, FIBA, or NBA/WNBA, that gives the Referee the authority to prohibit the chewing gum by the players. Furthermore there is nothing in any of the rules codes that prohibites the chewing of gum by the players PERIOD. If I were a player and you told me to take stop chewing my gum, I would be very tempted to tell you to tak a long walk off a short pier. In a note to Bard: NFHS R3-S7 does not cover chewing gum.

3) I do not know of any StateHSAA that bans players from chewing gum while playing basketball. I know that the OhioHSAA and MichiganHSAA does not, and I have checked with my friends in Connecticut, New Jersey, New York, Florida, and South Carolina, and these states do not either.

4) When it comes to a player chewing gum, do what Oprah says: "Don't go there girl."

4) I officiate between 350 and 400 basketball games every year at all levels from middle school to college, CYO, AAU, YBOA. And I am a bald old geezer.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Oct 22, 2002, 10:07pm
Official Forum Member

3) I do not know of any StateHSAA that bans players from chewing gum while playing basketball. I know that the OhioHSAA and MichiganHSAA does not, and I have checked with my friends in Connecticut, New Jersey, New York, Florida, and South Carolina, and these states do not either

I can tell you point blank that you are wrong about at least one of these states you just listed.
I just last week attended the mandatory rules clinic, and.....it is not allowed.

I am not going to debate this any further, if you want to allow it, go ahead. I am not and I am comfortable in the knowledge that what I am doing is by the direction of the state and my association.

I have never rung up a T on gum, but if a player tells me to take a hike over it, I just might do that....right over to the coach and inform him that player A1 is gone for a flagrant followed by the obligatory 2 shots and the ball to B.

Call your game, and I will call mine.
I must be doing something right, I have more requests for work than I could possibly fill.
Maybe Rut is right when he goes on and on about court presence and people management.
MAN!, now you have me agreeing with Rut, what would yaworski say about that?
Old Tue Oct 22, 2002, 10:21pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:

... I have worked as many as 4 varsity games a day, 2 in the AM and 2 at night. It doesn't put that much strain on you if you are in shape, and running is easy for me.

It's not a question of being in shape to work the games,
it's a matter of being available for 100 HS V games a
season. I work more leagues than I care to admit to, I've
never come close to working 100 *real* games a year, college
included. If I include camps, rec, etc then sure, but 100
*real* games?

BTW, congrats on your state finals, but if I'm the R during
a game we work together you ain't sending anyone off for
chewing gum. FWIW
Old Tue Oct 22, 2002, 10:23pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Quote:
...I am a bald old geezer.
Nothing wrong with that!
Old Tue Oct 22, 2002, 10:30pm
Do not give a damn!!

Thumbs down Do not reference me for this one.

Quote:

Call your game, and I will call mine.
I must be doing something right, I have more requests for work than I could possibly fill.
Maybe Rut is right when he goes on and on about court presence and people management.
MAN!, now you have me agreeing with Rut, what would yaworski say about that?
If having every player take out the gum in their mouth works for you and your assignment chairman has not problem with you doing that, then more power to you. I see no purpose and see no rule or ruling that backs this practice of yours up, but when in Rome you do what the Romans do I guess. But do not try to side with what I am saying to justify your position. I would never tell a coach to have his players take gum our of their mouths in the name of safety. I do not see what people skills have to do with doing that.

Peace
Old Tue Oct 22, 2002, 11:08pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Multiple states have refused to allow the player to chew gum, and some of those states are included in those who say they won't do it.
[/B]
Just for the record,Scott,could you tell us exactly which states actually ban gum? To be quite honest,I've never heard of this before.

[Edited by Jurassic Referee on Oct 23rd, 2002 at 03:07 AM]
Old Tue Oct 22, 2002, 11:13pm
Official Forum Member

I just last week attended the mandatory rules clinic, and.....it is not allowed.

You mean they actually talked about chewing gum at your rules clinic? That was actually a topic? Come on. This whole thread is just a big joke right? We've been had right? Tell us some states that instruct you to make players get rid of their gum.

And I'm with Dan if you really are serious. If you are my partner for the championship game and you start talking about making players get rid of their gum, I'm going to find a nice comfortable place under the bleachers to hide.

Z
Old Tue Oct 22, 2002, 11:14pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

Please tell me under what NFHS or NCAA rule that gives the officials the authority to tell players that they cannot chew gum while playing?

I think it's pretty straight forward from some officials, Mark. This falls under Safety Concerns, 3-7. While 3-7 specifies hair and fingernails, it clearly does not rule out gum.

Gum! Gum! I like gum. Do you like gum? Are you telling me that I cannot chew gum while playing basketball? Not! The next thing you are going to tell me is SAFETY ? Well what about low cut basketball shoes? Shouldn't that be a safety issue for sprain ankles ? Rule 2 section 3 ??? Duh?
Old Tue Oct 22, 2002, 11:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Oz, like I have said, you call your game.
I routinely do over 100 HS Varsity games a season, not to mention the JV and middle school games that go along with each school year.
Hell, I don't allow college players to chew gum either.
Adult ball is another matter.
To those who are so adamnant in saying that it is wrong, then you have either never had a problem, are unaware, or are scared to take a stand against the game delaying issues of gum on the floor and needless risk to a player.

I didn't bring up the original subject, so I can't be the only one who has a question about it, now can I?

Just for the record, I dont' allow rubber bands either. That arguement is still going on also.
So you are telling me that:

a)Chewing gum presents a risk to players other than the one chewing it?

b)If all of Team A is chewing gum, you will instruct them to remove it. If they refuse what are you going to do? Abandon the game?

As far as players deliberatly faking injuries, or intentionally dropping gum on the floor - I'm not scared, I'll T them up so fast they head will spin. But why go looking for problems? I play basketball, and have been chewing gum in every game that I have played in the last 15 years (several hundred games). I have NEVER accidentally swalloed my gum, nor have I ever dropped it on the floor.

Visit www.geocities.com/oz_referee
Old Wed Oct 23, 2002, 01:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rgaudreau
Okay, last week we talked about players wearing rubberbands during a game. I had a new one at a game last night.

Coach calls all the players to the bench with 2 minutes left in warm-up and gives them all bubble gum. I asked one of the girls if he always does that and she says that he does. It seems no one has ever made an issue about the safety of possible falling down and chocking on the chewing gum.

I allowed it last night because I couldn't think of any reason why it would be illegal but on second thought, I probably should have had them all spit it out.

I figure I could have done it under rule 2-3. Declare it a safety/health hazard and have them all spit it out...

Or I could simply have lied and said that this school does not allow bubble gum in the gym and as visitors to the school, they have to abide by the same rules...

Any thoughts!

R
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahaha
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahaa...
..........is this for real?
ha. youve got to be kidding me. whoooooooooooooooo.
thats a good one!
Old Wed Oct 23, 2002, 08:00am
Official Forum Member

Talking

I always wondered how refs were so good at tuning out fans and coaches. Now I know! You practice on each other during the offseason!

- Catherine Aird
Old Wed Oct 23, 2002, 08:06am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by theboys
I always wondered how refs were so good at tuning out fans and coaches. Now I know! You practice on each other during the offseason!
What?
Old Wed Oct 23, 2002, 08:13am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.

...I am a bald old geezer.
Nothing wrong with that!
Awww, Dan. You're not old!

Seriously, though, I agree with just about everything Dan said. I have never had, seen, or even heard of a problem with a player chewing gum, going back 20 years to when I was a HS player myself.

I would be shocked if any state HS association has passed a provision banning chewing gum from basketball competition. Like Dan, if I'm the R, we're not telling anybody to get rid of it.

Lastly, in my association, we're not allowed to work more than one HS Varsity contest in one day (unless there are unforseen, unavoidable circumstances). So the most HS V games I've ever worked in season is 34. Throw in 15 college games (including juco) and a Freshman game as a favor to the assignor, and I do a max of about 50 games a season.

chuck

[Edited by ChuckElias on Oct 23rd, 2002 at 09:51 AM]
Old Wed Oct 23, 2002, 09:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The old fake injury thing has been around forever, I always have concern for player safety, thus a substitution is going to be required.....if the player is down, the coach is coming out at my request.
you know what I mean?
Actually, no. Since the fed used the buy-in rule for blood and injuries, the coach can buy a TO and keep an injured player. Or, at least that is what our state wants us to do.