Thread: Chewing Gum
View Single Post
Old Tue Oct 22, 2002, 10:00pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by scottk_61
Oz, like I have said, you call your game.
I routinely do over 100 HS Varsity games a season, not to mention the JV and middle school games that go along with each school year.
Hell, I don't allow college players to chew gum either.
Adult ball is another matter.
To those who are so adamnant in saying that it is wrong, then you have either never had a problem, are unaware, or are scared to take a stand against the game delaying issues of gum on the floor and needless risk to a player.

I didn't bring up the original subject, so I can't be the only one who has a question about it, now can I?

Just for the record, I dont' allow rubber bands either. That arguement is still going on also.
1) Rubber bands are not legal. Rubber bands are considered jewlery under NFHS, NCAA, and FIBA rules.

2) Yes, chewing gum while playing basketball is not a smart thing to do. My wife and I do not allow our sons to chew gum while playing any of the sports in which they participate. BUT, there is nothing in the Elastic Clauses of the rules per NFHS, NCAA, FIBA, or NBA/WNBA, that gives the Referee the authority to prohibit the chewing gum by the players. Furthermore there is nothing in any of the rules codes that prohibites the chewing of gum by the players PERIOD. If I were a player and you told me to take stop chewing my gum, I would be very tempted to tell you to tak a long walk off a short pier. In a note to Bard: NFHS R3-S7 does not cover chewing gum.

3) I do not know of any StateHSAA that bans players from chewing gum while playing basketball. I know that the OhioHSAA and MichiganHSAA does not, and I have checked with my friends in Connecticut, New Jersey, New York, Florida, and South Carolina, and these states do not either.

4) When it comes to a player chewing gum, do what Oprah says: "Don't go there girl."

4) I officiate between 350 and 400 basketball games every year at all levels from middle school to college, CYO, AAU, YBOA. And I am a bald old geezer.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio