Thread: Chewing Gum
View Single Post
Old Tue Oct 22, 2002, 09:40pm
Official Forum Member

How does this happen? 100 HS V + college + adult
rec league? (Maybe I ain't working hard enough?)

FWIW, if a player wants to chew gum I ain't gonna be the
guy who tells him to spit it out. If you're athletic enough
to chew gum & walk you're welcome to stay in my game

I work a couple of differnt associations as a rule, am available around the clock and willing to travel. It isn't always easy to get them but you can do it.
Of course, you don't have much of a life outside of officiating either, but hey.....I am single and enjoy doing it. I have worked as many as 4 varsity games a day, 2 in the AM and 2 at night. It doesn't put that much strain on you if you are in shape, and running is easy for me.
My local association realistically expects a level 3 official (we rank from 1 down to 5) or above, to work at least 60 varsity contests each season. We have approximately 160 officials working.
You have to live or travel to where the games are at and it works out.

As for your choice on gum, more power to you. Like I have said, it is your choice unless you are like me and the associations that I have worked with.......don't allow it.
Multiple states have refused to allow the player to chew gum, and some of those states are included in those who say they won't do it.
When your assignor or assocation tells you to do the little things, that is just one way to step up to the higher level.
I have called state finals in 2 states and regionals in another 3.
Sometimes you have to do what the boss wants even though it sounds stupid.