Thread: Chewing Gum
View Single Post
Old Tue Oct 22, 2002, 11:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by scottk_61
Oz, like I have said, you call your game.
I routinely do over 100 HS Varsity games a season, not to mention the JV and middle school games that go along with each school year.
Hell, I don't allow college players to chew gum either.
Adult ball is another matter.
To those who are so adamnant in saying that it is wrong, then you have either never had a problem, are unaware, or are scared to take a stand against the game delaying issues of gum on the floor and needless risk to a player.

I didn't bring up the original subject, so I can't be the only one who has a question about it, now can I?

Just for the record, I dont' allow rubber bands either. That arguement is still going on also.
So you are telling me that:

a)Chewing gum presents a risk to players other than the one chewing it?

b)If all of Team A is chewing gum, you will instruct them to remove it. If they refuse what are you going to do? Abandon the game?

As far as players deliberatly faking injuries, or intentionally dropping gum on the floor - I'm not scared, I'll T them up so fast they head will spin. But why go looking for problems? I play basketball, and have been chewing gum in every game that I have played in the last 15 years (several hundred games). I have NEVER accidentally swalloed my gum, nor have I ever dropped it on the floor.

Visit www.geocities.com/oz_referee