The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Oct 19, 2002, 05:19pm
Official Forum Member

Okay, last week we talked about players wearing rubberbands during a game. I had a new one at a game last night.

Coach calls all the players to the bench with 2 minutes left in warm-up and gives them all bubble gum. I asked one of the girls if he always does that and she says that he does. It seems no one has ever made an issue about the safety of possible falling down and chocking on the chewing gum.

I allowed it last night because I couldn't think of any reason why it would be illegal but on second thought, I probably should have had them all spit it out.

I figure I could have done it under rule 2-3. Declare it a safety/health hazard and have them all spit it out...

Or I could simply have lied and said that this school does not allow bubble gum in the gym and as visitors to the school, they have to abide by the same rules...

Any thoughts!

R
Old Sat Oct 19, 2002, 05:29pm
Official Forum Member

Interesting question. So far in all of my games I've allowed gum, but never really thought about it. I'd say unless it interferes with the game let it go. If players can have mouth guards, why not gum? It's kind of like looking for jewelry that "isn't in sight", if you know what I mean. In other words, don’t go looking for trouble & if it ain’t broke don’t fix it.
Old Sat Oct 19, 2002, 06:11pm
Administrator

Don't even think about invoking the elastic clause with regard to players chewing gum. In my humble opinion, chewing gum while playing any sport execpt golf and bowling is dangerous. I will not let our sons chew gum while playing basketball, baseball, football, swimming, or gymnastics. BUT, if you try to keep players from chewing gum while playing basketball or any other sport, you are just going to bring a world of hurt on yourself.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sat Oct 19, 2002, 07:32pm
In Memoriam

Back in the old days...

...When chewing gum was still legal, our entire team was chewing, and it made a great difference for avoiding "cotton mouth".
I will not ban it. It's a good thing.
mick
Old Sun Oct 20, 2002, 08:27am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rpirtle Send a message via Yahoo to rpirtle
Talking

If I see it...it comes out. If not...I don't go looking for it. Same with ankle bracelets & tongue piercing...yuck!!
Old Sun Oct 20, 2002, 09:16pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by rpirtle
If I see it...it comes out. If not...I don't go looking for it. Same with ankle bracelets & tongue piercing...yuck!!

Please tell me under what NFHS or NCAA rule that gives the officials the authority to tell players that they cannot chew gum while playing?
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sun Oct 20, 2002, 09:21pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Quote:
Originally posted by rpirtle

Please tell me under what NFHS or NCAA rule that gives the officials the authority to tell players that they cannot chew gum while playing?
My wife tells me I can't chew gum & walk, but usually when
we're dancing. Not the same thing, eh?
Old Sun Oct 20, 2002, 10:04pm
Administrator

My wife tells me that I can't chew and ... I had better leave well enough alone.
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sun Oct 20, 2002, 10:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Don't even think about invoking the elastic clause with regard to players chewing gum. In my humble opinion, chewing gum while playing any sport execpt golf and bowling is dangerous. I will not let our sons chew gum while playing basketball, baseball, football, swimming, or gymnastics. BUT, if you try to keep players from chewing gum while playing basketball or any other sport, you are just going to bring a world of hurt on yourself.
I've never thought about using the elastic clause for anything.
Old Sun Oct 20, 2002, 11:10pm
Official Forum Member

I have been a member of different associations and states, where chewing gum was an automatic "no no"
Personally, I have them get rid of it if I see them chewing but I don't go looking for it.
I know Refs who chew gum while working......maybe that is why their whistle is way to silent when it is needed. Hmmm,,,
Old Mon Oct 21, 2002, 01:12am
Official Forum Member

Wink

Leave it alone.
Old Mon Oct 21, 2002, 08:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by scottk_61
I have been a member of different associations and states, where chewing gum was an automatic "no no"
Personally, I have them get rid of it if I see them chewing but I don't go looking for it.
I know Refs who chew gum while working......maybe that is why their whistle is way to silent when it is needed. Hmmm,,,
What!!!

Why would you ban chewing gum???

This is going wayyyy to far.
Old Mon Oct 21, 2002, 10:27am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Spaman_29
Gum Chewing

Oh my gosh I am totally blown away by this. Why on earth would you ever care if someone is chewing gum? Why would you look? If they are going to chew gum then so be it. How can this impose a safety hazard. Yea so they swallow it - PLEASE!
An official who goes looking or attempting to stop this type of situation is asking to light a match at a gasoline factory - it can only blow up in your face!
You are there to facilitate the game in a fair, equal, and intelligent manner. This is defiantly not intelligent!
Old Mon Oct 21, 2002, 10:36am
Official Forum Member

I see I`ve opened up quite the can of worms here.

My point, and I did have one, is that chewing gum could become a choking hazard.

There is a reason why countless phys ed teachers around the country don`t allow chewing gum in their gyms. Believe it or not, but it`s not to protect the floors. Custodians have become quite good at removing gum from hardwood.

As a coach, I wouldn`t give my players gum during a game. As an official, judging by the reactions this thread has garnered here, I won`t be looking for it in games that I`m officiating either.

Rene Gaudreau
Old Mon Oct 21, 2002, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

I cannot tell you how many times I have seen players "LOSE" thier gum on the court.
You now have trash on the floor that needs to be removed, thus a delay.
I have also seen some very questionable "choking incidents" that resulted in an officials timeout (ie injury) to deal with the problem, and lo and behold, the player is alright after all but now the players have had a breather.
Coaches will use anything to gain an advantage, and gum is one of them.
I don't allow it, if I see it you have to get rid of it.
If you have a problem with gum (that I didn't see) then leave the court, give me a sub and we will play ball.