The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 05, 2011, 07:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap View Post
Last night's ugly game featured no team foul counts on the scoreboard. Fewer and fewer gyms like that. I kinda miss the foul towers from yesteryear. Of course, there was no double bonus after 10 fouls in those days, so I guess the towers became obsolete.
Foul tower?
Old Wed Jan 05, 2011, 07:22pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Principle Of Verticality ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastshire View Post
Foul tower?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Jan 05, 2011, 07:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I always thought of that as more of an askew tower.
Old Wed Jan 05, 2011, 07:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
It's why I pay attention to the scoreboard every time we report a foul. There are many occasions where I have had the timer correct the foul count on the scoreboard. And I hate it when the timer posts the team foul on the scoreboard before we report the foul.
In those situations where the timer is posting the foul before reporting, either they're watching the game very closely or they're watching the officials very closely. After being a timer after so long (depending on experience & professionalism) a person can learn how to read who the foul was on based of off the action on the court.

I am getting to where I just start to hit either the H Player Foul or V Player Foul button as the official comes into the FRA. However I make sure that I am posting the correct player by looking closely at the reporting official & if still not sure verifying with the scorer who the foul was on.

Quote:
I also hate it when the public address announcer states, "Third foul on twenty-one. Team's fifth.", before I've finished reporting to the table.

I had an adult scoreboard operator last week in a boys varsity game. I reported a foul to the table knowing that we were probably going to reach the team's tenth foul. After reporting the foul, I asked the table, "Are we in the double bonus?". Operator replied, sarcastically, "Look at the scoreboard, the double bonus light is on." I shouldn't have, but I let it go.

A few minutes later, my partner reported a foul to the table, after which there was no further action from the table. After moving back to his trail position for the free throws, players from the team that fouled moved toward their bench area to meet with their coach. I ask my partner, "Did someone request a timeout?" He answers in the negative. We both move to the table area to figure out what's going on and discover that a player fouled out. "Why didn't you tell us?", I ask the table. Operator replies, "Look at the scoreboard, it's his fifth foul". So I read her the riot act, "You have to let us know when we're in the bonus, or the double bonus, or when someone fouls out".

After the game, in the locker room, my partner tells me that I was too hard on the operator. I told him that she made me look foolish, and then she made him look foolish, and I wasn't going to let it happen again, to us, or to any of our colleagues that show up that site. He replied that he didn't now about the first screwup, and that was my fault. I should have taken care of business when I was supposed to take care of business. Lesson learned. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.
BillyMac, in your situation, it sounds as if the table crew didn't fully understand their duties & responsibilities.

Did you discuss with your partner that the table crew was not doing their job properly & think about discussing it with the school's AD that the table needs to know their duties & responsibilities better?

Most times when I'm timer, I am the one notifying the officials of bonus, double bonus, or fifth foul cause of who is working as scorer. Technically the scorer is supposed to notify the officials, NOT the timer. Also the scorer is to take care of the AP NOT the timer, yet I am doing both.

At least the personnel doing Varsity scorer do things right concerning foul/bonus notifications & AP here.
Old Wed Jan 05, 2011, 07:43pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by chseagle View Post
In those situations where the timer is posting the foul before reporting, either they're watching the game very closely or they're watching the officials very closely. After being a timer after so long (depending on experience & professionalism) a person can learn how to read who the foul was on based of off the action on the court.

I am getting to where I just start to hit either the H Player Foul or V Player Foul button as the official comes into the FRA. However I make sure that I am posting the correct player by looking closely at the reporting official & if still not sure verifying with the scorer who the foul was on.

I prefer that you wait. I take a peak at the scoreboard before I report. If I see 6 I know my foul will make it 7. If you put 6 up there before I take my peak I'm going to think we should be shooting 1-and-1. It causes an unnecessary delay to get it straightened out. My personal advise is that you show some patience and wait before you post the data on scoreboard.

Quote:
A few minutes later, my partner reported a foul to the table, after which there was no further action from the table. After moving back to his trail position for the free throws, players from the team that fouled moved toward their bench area to meet with their coach. I ask my partner, "Did someone request a timeout?" He answers in the negative. We both move to the table area to figure out what's going on and discover that a player fouled out. "Why didn't you tell us?", I ask the table. Operator replies, "Look at the scoreboard, it's his fifth foul". So I read her the riot act, "You have to let us know when we're in the bonus, or the double bonus, or when someone fouls out".
To change the subject slightly, this is a pet peeve of mine. Was it necessary for both of you (2-man crew, correct?) to go to the table? One official should be staying back to observe the court and players. When the entire crew is at the table they tend to all/both focus on the table and lose sight of the players and court.

BTW, the operator earned your "riot act". Don't feel bad about that. But yes, you should have addressed her attitude the first time she stepped over the line.

Last edited by Raymond; Wed Jan 05, 2011 at 07:50pm.
Old Wed Jan 05, 2011, 08:00pm
Official Forum Member

BNR, what I mean is I hit the corresponding button to put up player number, not team foul. Depending on whether or not I put up the individual player fouls depends on the game.

When doing player fouls as well as team fouls, I always input the player foul info on the board before the team foul.

I don't input any foul info until I receive the info from the reporting official.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I prefer that you wait. I take a peak at the scoreboard before I report. If I see 6 I know my foul will make it 7. If you put 6 up there before I take my peak I'm going to think we should be shooting 1-and-1. It causes an unnecessary delay to get it straightened out. My personal advise is that you show some patience and wait before you post the data on scoreboard.

BTW, the operator earned your "riot act". Don't feel bad about that. But yes, you should have addressed her attitude the first time she stepped over the line.
Old Wed Jan 05, 2011, 08:04pm
Certified Non-Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
Seriously though, that is great stuff... I cherish the games when I have a competent table crew to assist us!
Well then you're going to love this.... The situation in my OP came about, I learned after the game, because the official scorer was reportedly texting on and off during the whole game. While keeping the official book. Apparently she was busy texting at the inconvenient time of the aforementioned seventh foul. I left this out of the OP because I did not actually witness this myself, but true or not it certainly raises a good point about attentiveness at the table.
Old Thu Jan 06, 2011, 12:50am
Official Forum Member

Probably why a lot of schools are using adults as official scorers.They know that the adult will pay attention for the whole game and use their phones only when appropriate-AT HALFTIME!