View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 05, 2011, 09:13am
Certified Non-Fanboy

Correctible/Not Correctible Question

Attending, not officiating, a GV game last night. A1 with ball is fouled (common foul) in the FC (non-shooting). Official scorer neglects to tell the reporting official (R in a 3-person crew in this case) that the foul committed on A1 was Team B's 7th foul of the half (it was, as it turns out). R, not knowing that A1 should be shooting the bonus, indicates the throw-in spot and U1 administers the throw-in. Ball comes in, A2 catches and shoots and is immediately fouled.

At this point, Coach A brings to the attention of the tableside trail official (just happened to be the R again, who had reported the previous foul) that she believes the foul which preceded the throw-in was in fact the 7th foul of the half and A1 should have been shooting 1 + 1. At this time, the other officials are setting up for the two free throws resulting from the foul on A2.

R listens to the coach, says "We'll take a look at it." He then allows the two free-throws to be administered. At the next dead ball following the free throws, R proceeds to the table where he confirms that A1 should have been shooting 1 + 1. He then tells the coach that he is sorry, the error is no longer correctible.

I think I have a pretty good handle on the correctible error rule, but my question in this instance comes down to the timing of when the R was made aware of the error. It is my understanding that when he actually went to the book(s) and compared notes, the error was no longer correctible. However, at the time he was made aware of the (potential) error, it was still within the correctible time frame.

So here's my question as a relative newbie: Could R make the correction due to the fact the potential error was brought to his attention during the time the error was still correctible? IMO, the reason it was no longer correctible was due to the fact he said "We'll take a look at it" and then allowed (inadvertently) the correctible time period to lapse. I'm not criticizing here, and this play had no bearing on the outcome of the game. I'm just wondering in case I find myself in a similar sitch down the road.

Thanks.