Correct
Old Wed Jan 05, 2011, 12:06pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
I guess they can do it that way, but the good coaches know:

10-5 ART. 1

The head coach shall remain seated on the team bench, except:

c. The head coach may stand and/or leave the coaching box to confer with personnel at the scorer's table to request a time-out as in 5-8-4.

5-8 ART. 4

Time-out occurs and the clock, if running, shall be stopped when an official:

Responds to the scorer's signal to grant a coach's request that a correctable error, as in 2-10, or a timing, scoring or alternating-possession mistake be prevented or rectified. The appeal to the official shall be presented at the scorer's table where a coach of each team may be present.

But whatever, IJS
You can roll your eyes all you want to, but the fact remains that the procedures you pasted from the rule book are designed for a time when the ball is live and in play. That is when the coach may rise and go to the table and at the next dead ball the timer will sound the horn.

In the OP, the ball was not live, the Coach spoke to the official, and the official did not take care of business. He should have held up the free throws, brought both coaches together and handled the CE situation. Trying to pass this off as the Coach not handling it right is quite pathetic.
Old Wed Jan 05, 2011, 12:24pm
Official Forum Member

True... not trying to blame the coach, but when the official said he'd take a look at it, I would've called a t/o before the FTs were shot.
Coach knew the CE rule but probably didnt know the time frames.

The blame goes to the table & officials, IMO the coach didnt handle it correctly either.

Bottom line is, we as officials have got to manage that clock & be cognizant of the score, time, fouls, etc.

Its not that hard to do:
1. whistle
2. sneak a peak
3. handle problems before the ball becomes live

No CEs.
Old Wed Jan 05, 2011, 12:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
True... not trying to blame the coach, but when the official said he'd take a look at it, I would've called a t/o before the FTs were shot.

The blame goes to the table & officials, IMO the coach didnt handle it correctly either.
Agreed.

I assign the blame as:

Table 30%
Officials 65%
Coach 5%
Old Wed Jan 05, 2011, 01:00pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:

Bottom line is, we as officials have got to manage that clock & be cognizant of the score, time, fouls, etc.

Its not that hard to do:
1. whistle
2. sneak a peak
3. handle problems before the ball becomes live

No CEs.
Agreed also...sounds like we are saying the exact same thing.
Old Wed Jan 05, 2011, 01:06pm
Official Forum Member

Yes sirrrrr!
Old Wed Jan 05, 2011, 02:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Kent View Post
In the case where a coach calls a timeout to correct a correctable error and then we as officials correct it we don't charge the coach a timeout. Is that correct or have I been watching too many NFL games with the challenge flag?
That is correct. Have a look at 5-11-3, Exception b.
Old Wed Jan 05, 2011, 04:42pm
Official Forum Member

This is exactly why in my games I will tell whoever reports the 6'th foul "Bonus on the next _______." When the 7'th foul is indicated I then put my two forefingers next to each other and spread them apart before recording the foul.In a particularly intense game I may say "One and One ________."This one is about 95% table and 5% officials!
Old Wed Jan 05, 2011, 04:48pm
Official Forum Member

No wonder those SoCal officials arrive so quickly

Seriously though, that is great stuff... I cherish the games when I have a competent table crew to assist us!
Old Wed Jan 05, 2011, 05:06pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCalScoreKeeper View Post
This is exactly why in my games I will tell whoever reports the 6'th foul "Bonus on the next _______." When the 7'th foul is indicated I then put my two forefingers next to each other and spread them apart before recording the foul.In a particularly intense game I may say "One and One ________."This one is about 95% table and 5% officials!

It's why I pay attention to the scoreboard every time we report a foul. There are many occasions where I have had the timer correct the foul count on the scoreboard. And I hate it when the timer posts the team foul on the scoreboard before we report the foul.
Old Wed Jan 05, 2011, 05:09pm
Esteemed Forum Member

I Hate When That Happens, Too ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I hate it when the timer posts the team foul on the scoreboard before we report the foul.
I also hate it when the public address announcer states, "Third foul on twenty-one. Team's fifth.", before I've finished reporting to the table.

I had an adult scoreboard operator last week in a boys varsity game. I reported a foul to the table knowing that we were probably going to reach the team's tenth foul. After reporting the foul, I asked the table, "Are we in the double bonus?". Operator replied, sarcastically, "Look at the scoreboard, the double bonus light is on." I shouldn't have, but I let it go.

A few minutes later, my partner reported a foul to the table, after which there was no further action from the table. After moving back to his trail position for the free throws, players from the team that fouled moved toward their bench area to meet with their coach. I ask my partner, "Did someone request a timeout?" He answers in the negative. We both move to the table area to figure out what's going on and discover that a player fouled out. "Why didn't you tell us?", I ask the table. Operator replies, "Look at the scoreboard, it's his fifth foul". So I read her the riot act, "You have to let us know when we're in the bonus, or the double bonus, or when someone fouls out".

After the game, in the locker room, my partner tells me that I was too hard on the operator. I told him that she made me look foolish, and then she made him look foolish, and I wasn't going to let it happen again, to us, or to any of our colleagues that show up that site. He replied that he didn't now about the first screwup, and that was my fault. I should have taken care of business when I was supposed to take care of business. Lesson learned. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Jan 05, 2011 at 05:28pm.
Old Wed Jan 05, 2011, 05:12pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I also hate it when the public address announcer states, "Third foul on twenty-one. Team's fifth.", before I've fiinished reporting to the table.
Stil preferred to, "Phantom foul call on twenty-one. It's Derek's third foul, team's fifth. What a crappy call."
Old Wed Jan 05, 2011, 05:14pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
It's why I pay attention to the scoreboard every time we report a foul. There are many occasions where I have had the timer correct the foul count on the scoreboard. And I hate it when the timer posts the team foul on the scoreboard before we report the foul.
Last night's ugly game featured no team foul counts on the scoreboard. Fewer and fewer gyms like that. I kinda miss the foul towers from yesteryear. Of course, there was no double bonus after 10 fouls in those days, so I guess the towers became obsolete.
Old Wed Jan 05, 2011, 05:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I also hate it when the public address announcer states, "Third foul on twenty-one. Team's fifth.", before I've fiinished reporting to the table.
I love it...that's how I remember who the foul was on!
Old Wed Jan 05, 2011, 05:30pm
Esteemed Forum Member

It's Not Always The Same ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Kent View Post
I love it, that's how I remember who the foul was on!
Assuming that the announcer has the foul on the same player as you.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Jan 05, 2011 at 05:56pm.