The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 02, 2010, 08:15am
Official Forum Member

EOG sitch

A5 has the ball for a throw-in, up 66-64 with 9 seconds remaining.
B1 bear hugs A1 prior to the throw-in ending. How do you handle that?
Old Tue Nov 02, 2010, 08:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
A5 has the ball for a throw-in, up 66-64 with 9 seconds remaining.
B1 bear hugs A1 prior to the throw-in ending. How do you handle that?
IP foul. 2 Shots and the ball for A. Also counts as the delay warning.

Oops -- my mistake. It's not a delay warning. I misread who was fouled.

Last edited by bob jenkins; Tue Nov 02, 2010 at 09:09am.
Old Tue Nov 02, 2010, 09:01am
Official Forum Member

INT foul.

Yeah, what Bob said.

Last edited by mbyron; Tue Nov 02, 2010 at 09:07am.
Old Tue Nov 02, 2010, 09:19am
Official Forum Member

This is what you guys would call at any level (HS, NCAA, Pro) regardless of time & score?

I did make the unpopular, but correct call last night & one of my dearest friends & mentors told me, I would have the shortest college career in history if I go out there imposing myself on a great game

I own all 3 books & the rule is quite clear as to what should be called in this situation. But my friend (DI official) says I could have handled it differently.

Perhaps he was trying to prepare me for what is a common occurance in the particular leagues I'll be working...
But I honestly thought we couldn't go wrong if we simply call the rules as written. In the words of Vinnie Barbarino, "Im so confused"

Last edited by tref; Tue Nov 02, 2010 at 09:24am.
Old Tue Nov 02, 2010, 09:36am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
This is what you guys would call at any level (HS, NCAA, Pro) regardless of time & score?

I did make the unpopular, but correct call last night & one of my dearest friends & mentors told me, I would have the shortest college career in history if I go out there imposing myself on a great game

I own all 3 books & the rule is quite clear as to what should be called in this situation. But my friend (DI official) says I could have handled it differently.

Perhaps he was trying to prepare me for what is a common occurance in the particular leagues I'll be working...
But I honestly thought we couldn't go wrong if we simply call the rules as written. In the words of Vinnie Barbarino, "Im so confused"
If you don't call an intentional in that sitiuation did your D1 friend explain what to tell your supervisor when A1's coach sends in the tape and wants an explanation as to why that is not a classic Intentional Foul?

How did your D1 friend say you should have "handled it differently"?

Last edited by Raymond; Tue Nov 02, 2010 at 10:04am.
Old Tue Nov 02, 2010, 09:40am
Official Forum Member

Ignore or call a common foul...

Because all the fouls prior to that 1 were intentional too, as they were trying to stop the clock.
Old Tue Nov 02, 2010, 09:44am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
In the pro game, I believe this is considered an Away-from-the-Play foul, essentially the same as the Intentional in HS/NCAA.

Quote:

I own all 3 books & the rule is quite clear as to what should be called in this situation.
Not only is it clear in the books, but it was part of the pre-season video from John Adams. Talk to your supervisor, but it's pretty clear that the higher-ups expect this to be an intentional foul.

If it were not quite so blatant as a bear-hug, you might be able to call a common foul. (Maybe he just held him as he was trying to break to the ball, or they got their arms all tangled up.) But with a bear hug when the throw-in hasn't even ended yet is too obvious to call a common foul, IMHO, whether it's HS or, yes, even NCAA.
Old Tue Nov 02, 2010, 09:47am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to CLH Send a message via Yahoo to CLH
Quote:
In the NBA this would be an away-from-the-play foul. 2 shots to any of the 5 offensive players in the game, ball on the side to Team A
Old Tue Nov 02, 2010, 09:54am
In Memoriam

Quote:

You need to talk to your league supervisor/evaluator/training officer, not your mentor. Get your direction from the person responsible for direction. It's that simple.
Old Tue Nov 02, 2010, 10:05am
Courageous When Prudent

Do any of these sage mentors (this thread and the elbow thread) not realize that coaches watch the preseason videos also?
Old Tue Nov 02, 2010, 10:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
You need to talk to your league supervisor/evaluator/training officer, not your mentor. Get your direction from the person responsible for direction. It's that simple.
Absoutely JR! For the record, this was a mens wreck game & my guy was working on the court next to me. I didn't ask his opinion on this play, he kinda brought it to me.
Old Tue Nov 02, 2010, 10:28am
Official Forum Member

Wreck ball? Your "D1" mentor is telling you this during wreck ball? Pffft. INT foul and I don't even think twice about it.
Old Tue Nov 02, 2010, 10:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggravy View Post
Wreck ball? Your "D1" mentor is telling you this during wreck ball? Pffft. INT foul and I don't even think twice about it.
We use this level of play to prepare for the season, calling the game as if it were a real game. He was simply asking if I plan to make this same call during the season & why I shouldn't.
Old Tue Nov 02, 2010, 11:11am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
In the pro game, I believe this is considered an Away-from-the-Play foul, essentially the same as the Intentional in HS/NCAA.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLH View Post
In the NBA this would be an away-from-the-play foul.
Yes!! I knew I had that one right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me
Talk to your supervisor, but it's pretty clear that the higher-ups expect this to be an intentional foul.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
Quote:
Absoutely JR!
Wait. "Absolutely, JR"? Where's my props???
Old Tue Nov 02, 2010, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

My bad, good lookin out Scrappy!

Looks like you went 2 for 2 there

Thanks 2 all for their input!