The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   EOG sitch (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/59610-eog-sitch.html)

tref Tue Nov 02, 2010 08:15am

EOG sitch

A5 has the ball for a throw-in, up 66-64 with 9 seconds remaining.
B1 bear hugs A1 prior to the throw-in ending. How do you handle that?

bob jenkins Tue Nov 02, 2010 08:57am

Quote:

Originally Posted by tref (Post 699264)
A5 has the ball for a throw-in, up 66-64 with 9 seconds remaining.
B1 bear hugs A1 prior to the throw-in ending. How do you handle that?

IP foul. 2 Shots and the ball for A. Also counts as the delay warning.

Oops -- my mistake. It's not a delay warning. I misread who was fouled.

mbyron Tue Nov 02, 2010 09:01am

INT foul.

Yeah, what Bob said. ;)

tref Tue Nov 02, 2010 09:19am

This is what you guys would call at any level (HS, NCAA, Pro) regardless of time & score?

I did make the unpopular, but correct call last night & one of my dearest friends & mentors told me, I would have the shortest college career in history if I go out there imposing myself on a great game :confused:

I own all 3 books & the rule is quite clear as to what should be called in this situation. But my friend (DI official) says I could have handled it differently.

Perhaps he was trying to prepare me for what is a common occurance in the particular leagues I'll be working...
But I honestly thought we couldn't go wrong if we simply call the rules as written. In the words of Vinnie Barbarino, "Im so confused" :(

Raymond Tue Nov 02, 2010 09:36am

Quote:

Originally Posted by tref (Post 699275)
This is what you guys would call at any level (HS, NCAA, Pro) regardless of time & score?

I did make the unpopular, but correct call last night & one of my dearest friends & mentors told me, I would have the shortest college career in history if I go out there imposing myself on a great game :confused:

I own all 3 books & the rule is quite clear as to what should be called in this situation. But my friend (DI official) says I could have handled it differently.

Perhaps he was trying to prepare me for what is a common occurance in the particular leagues I'll be working...
But I honestly thought we couldn't go wrong if we simply call the rules as written. In the words of Vinnie Barbarino, "Im so confused" :(

If you don't call an intentional in that sitiuation did your D1 friend explain what to tell your supervisor when A1's coach sends in the tape and wants an explanation as to why that is not a classic Intentional Foul?

How did your D1 friend say you should have "handled it differently"?

tref Tue Nov 02, 2010 09:40am

Ignore or call a common foul...

Because all the fouls prior to that 1 were intentional too, as they were trying to stop the clock.

Scrapper1 Tue Nov 02, 2010 09:44am

Quote:

In the pro game, I believe this is considered an Away-from-the-Play foul, essentially the same as the Intentional in HS/NCAA.

Quote:

I own all 3 books & the rule is quite clear as to what should be called in this situation.
Not only is it clear in the books, but it was part of the pre-season video from John Adams. Talk to your supervisor, but it's pretty clear that the higher-ups expect this to be an intentional foul.

If it were not quite so blatant as a bear-hug, you might be able to call a common foul. (Maybe he just held him as he was trying to break to the ball, or they got their arms all tangled up.) But with a bear hug when the throw-in hasn't even ended yet is too obvious to call a common foul, IMHO, whether it's HS or, yes, even NCAA.

CLH Tue Nov 02, 2010 09:47am

Quote:

This is what you guys would call at any level (HS, NCAA, Pro) regardless of time & score?:(

In the NBA this would be an away-from-the-play foul. 2 shots to any of the 5 offensive players in the game, ball on the side to Team A

Jurassic Referee Tue Nov 02, 2010 09:54am

Quote:

You need to talk to your league supervisor/evaluator/training officer, not your mentor. Get your direction from the person responsible for direction. It's that simple.

Raymond Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:05am

Do any of these sage mentors (this thread and the elbow thread) not realize that coaches watch the preseason videos also?

tref Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:22am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee (Post 699292)
You need to talk to your league supervisor/evaluator/training officer, not your mentor. Get your direction from the person responsible for direction. It's that simple.

Absoutely JR! For the record, this was a mens wreck game & my guy was working on the court next to me. I didn't ask his opinion on this play, he kinda brought it to me.

biggravy Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:28am

Wreck ball? Your "D1" mentor is telling you this during wreck ball? Pffft. INT foul and I don't even think twice about it.

tref Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:36am

Quote:

Originally Posted by biggravy (Post 699300)
Wreck ball? Your "D1" mentor is telling you this during wreck ball? Pffft. INT foul and I don't even think twice about it.

We use this level of play to prepare for the season, calling the game as if it were a real game. He was simply asking if I plan to make this same call during the season & why I shouldn't.

Scrapper1 Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:11am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapper1 (Post 699286)
In the pro game, I believe this is considered an Away-from-the-Play foul, essentially the same as the Intentional in HS/NCAA.
Quote:

Originally Posted by CLH (Post 699288)
In the NBA this would be an away-from-the-play foul.

Yes!! I knew I had that one right.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Me
Talk to your supervisor, but it's pretty clear that the higher-ups expect this to be an intentional foul.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee (Post 699292)
Quote:

Originally Posted by tref (Post 699298)
Absoutely JR!

Wait. "Absolutely, JR"? Where's my props???

tref Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:29am

My bad, good lookin out Scrappy!

Looks like you went 2 for 2 there :D

Thanks 2 all for their input!