The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 01, 2010, 12:50pm
Official Forum Member

Rule Clarification

I have looked and looked and still am not satisfied, if you can point me where I would be very happy: The problem is that we have some officials calling a violation on rebounders during free-throws for simply putting their arm/hand into another lane space. On page 70 of the case book this action seems to be legal. I have talked to one of the guys and he swears that is is illegal to do this. Do any of you have any idea where he might be getting this information. I for one have never called a violation for players putting their arms over their spave and into anothers as long as there was no contact. Is there anywhere else besided page 70 of the case that may clarify this better?

Thanks
Old Mon Nov 01, 2010, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member

I dont know which book you're referring to (pg 70) but 9-1 only mentions "feet" in regards to FT provisions.
Old Mon Nov 01, 2010, 01:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIAA REF View Post
I have talked to one of the guys and he swears that is is illegal to do this. Do any of you have any idea where he might be getting this information.
Yes: his butt.
Old Mon Nov 01, 2010, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

I don't have my book on me, I believe it is the last letter in all of those plays. I know it is page 70 of the Case Book.
Old Mon Nov 01, 2010, 01:13pm
Official Forum Member

FREE-THROW VIOLATIONS
9.1 COMMENT: While Rule 8-1 clearly states which marked lane spaces must be occupied and by whom, a team forfeits its right to any space not occupied before the free throw starts (when the ball is placed at the disposal of the free thrower). Once a free throw starts, no player occupying a marked lane space (first three on each side) may enter or leave such space or break with either foot the vertical plane of any lane or lane-space boundary until the ball touches the ring or backboard or until the free throw ends. Players who do not occupy a marked lane space may not have either foot break the vertical plane of the free-throw-line extended and the vertical plane of the three-point line until the ball touches the ring, or the backboard, or the free throw ends. No player may enter or leave a marked lane space after the ball is placed at the disposal of the free thrower until the restrictions have ended as outlined.
Old Mon Nov 01, 2010, 01:27pm
Official Forum Member

Also, if a player touches the floor outside of their space with something other than the foot (usually the hand), they are also considered to have left the space. Perhaps this is what is causing them the confusion. Merely putting the hand outside of the box but in the air (even into another player's space) is not a violation at all. You could end up with a foul, but that is a different discusssion.
Old Mon Nov 01, 2010, 02:06pm
Official Forum Member

That is understood, the problem is when players extend their hand and or arms accross their space and into another players space as they are preparing for a rebound. In the case book, letter c says it is legal. I just wanted to make sure I was reading it correctly.
Old Mon Nov 01, 2010, 06:49pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
I have looked and looked and still am not satisfied, if you can point me where I would be very happy: The problem is that we have some officials calling a violation on rebounders during free-throws for simply putting their arm/hand into another lane space. On page 70 of the case book this action seems to be legal. I have talked to one of the guys and he swears that is is illegal to do this. Do any of you have any idea where he might be getting this information. I for one have never called a violation for players putting their arms over their spave and into anothers as long as there was no contact. Is there anywhere else besided page 70 of the case that may clarify this better?

Thanks
I would ask him for the rule reference.
Old Mon Nov 01, 2010, 06:51pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
That is understood, the problem is when players extend their hand and or arms accross their space and into another players space as they are preparing for a rebound. In the case book, letter c says it is legal. I just wanted to make sure I was reading it correctly.
It's legal; I've seen some officials put a stop to it by telling players to keep their hands to themselves. I've also seen officials state it's illegal, but not be able to provide a rule reference.
Old Mon Nov 01, 2010, 07:15pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Legal to extend arms. Could be a foul on contact though if you decide they hold with it.
Old Tue Nov 02, 2010, 02:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
Legal to extend arms. Could be a foul on contact though if you decide they hold with it.
Or push
Old Tue Nov 02, 2010, 03:06pm
Official Forum Member

Rule reference...

legal play.

For your rules reference see NFHS 2010-11 casebook pg 70, 9.1.3 Situation L, play d