The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 15, 2004, 08:47pm
Official Forum Member

I caoch an 11-12 boys team, Florida HS certified refs. Please help clarify the following... unfortunatley I did not ask for a clarification when this occurred in a recent game but would like to know only for future reference.
If a shot rolls across the top of the backboard and falls forward into the goal is it a good shot? I have received different answers...1) it is a good shot as the ball must go over the backboard to be considered out of bounds and 2) the top of the backboard is automoatically considered out of bounds. A shot like this made a difference in a one point game and I want to make sure my players, and myself, are clear on the official ruling. Thanks
Old Thu Jan 15, 2004, 08:50pm
Official Forum Member

Yes, count the basket.
Old Thu Jan 15, 2004, 09:11pm
Official Forum Member

It's good!
Old Thu Jan 15, 2004, 09:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by knightsfan74
I caoch an 11-12 boys team, Florida HS certified refs. Please help clarify the following... unfortunatley I did not ask for a clarification when this occurred in a recent game but would like to know only for future reference.
If a shot rolls across the top of the backboard and falls forward into the goal is it a good shot? I have received different answers...1) it is a good shot as the ball must go over the backboard to be considered out of bounds and 2) the top of the backboard is automoatically considered out of bounds. A shot like this made a difference in a one point game and I want to make sure my players, and myself, are clear on the official ruling. Thanks
Knightsfan74

Was this a FBVA game in the Central FL area?
Old Fri Jan 16, 2004, 12:00am
Official Forum Member

For the Record...

Quote:

NFHS
Rule 7 - Sec 1 - Art 2...
The ball is out of bounds when it touches:
a. A player who is out of bounds
b. Any other person, the floor, or any object on or outside a boundary.
c. The supports or back of the backboard.
d. The ceiling, overhead equipment or supports.

NOTE: When the rectangular backboard is used, the ball is out of bounds if it passes OVER the backboard.
Old Fri Jan 16, 2004, 01:24am
We don't rent pigs

Many baskets are constructed in such a way that the ball cannot touch the top of the board without also touching some other support structure. I think this is what is confusing to some people. Remember it this way. The only part of the backboard that is out of bounds is the back side.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sat Jan 17, 2004, 12:45am
Official Forum Member

Thank you all for the clarification. My initial understanding was that the basket was good, but the question was posed to me after the game by several parents and I just wanted to make sure that I was correct when I informed them of the rule (some parents can be VERY persistent in their opinions/questions, even after games are long forgotten by players). I'm still fairly new to coaching and want to ensure the kids learn the game the right way. This is a great forum for exactly this purpose.

BTW, Mike Burns... it was in fact an FBVA game in C. Florida ( a well officiated game I might add....I can only imagine the additional pressure on officials during a very close game). Please know that this post was only for clarification and teaching purposes, I am not questioning any of the calls etc.... Out of curiousity...how did you know that this was the particular game in question? Just wondering. I am very pleased with officiating in this league and particularly impressed when officials, as they often do, take time to explain rules etc.. to players during the game. That helps them learn more than almost anything else and teaches them to play better. Now if I can only learn the game as well as the FBVA officials. To all officials in youth leagues who may read this please know your efforts are not unnoticed and are appreciated by coaches and players alike. Thanks again to all who replied...
Old Sat Jan 17, 2004, 09:27am
Official Forum Member

Knightsfan74.

Obviously, this is forum for officials but we a few coaches and fans who post. You may find it quite informative. As long as people don't come here trying to vent their frustrations from the last game, it works well.

Welcome to the forum.
Old Sat Jan 17, 2004, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
BTW, Mike Burns... it was in fact an FBVA game in C. Florida ( a well officiated game I might add....I can only imagine the additional pressure on officials during a very close game). Please know that this post was only for clarification and teaching purposes, I am not questioning any of the calls etc.... Out of curiousity...how did you know that this was the particular game in question? Just wondering. I am very pleased with officiating in this league and particularly impressed when officials, as they often do, take time to explain rules etc.. to players during the game. That helps them learn more than almost anything else and teaches them to play better. Now if I can only learn the game as well as the FBVA officials. To all officials in youth leagues who may read this please know your efforts are not unnoticed and are appreciated by coaches and players alike. Thanks again to all who replied...
I have worked both Southside and Westside FBVA. I haven't worked any games for them since the High School season started though, so I wouldn't know about the particular game you are mentioning. I just put 2 and 2 together (Your name and that you mentioned Fl HS refs working a 11-12 game). Most of the officials are pretty good, at least the ones I have worked with. I have seen some very competitive games, some really good teams and the coaches are usually knowledgeable. This is certainly more than rec ball!