The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Rule Clarification (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/59603-rule-clarification.html)

PIAA REF Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:50pm

Rule Clarification

I have looked and looked and still am not satisfied, if you can point me where I would be very happy: The problem is that we have some officials calling a violation on rebounders during free-throws for simply putting their arm/hand into another lane space. On page 70 of the case book this action seems to be legal. I have talked to one of the guys and he swears that is is illegal to do this. Do any of you have any idea where he might be getting this information. I for one have never called a violation for players putting their arms over their spave and into anothers as long as there was no contact. Is there anywhere else besided page 70 of the case that may clarify this better?

Thanks

tref Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:56pm

I dont know which book you're referring to (pg 70) but 9-1 only mentions "feet" in regards to FT provisions.

mbyron Mon Nov 01, 2010 01:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by PIAA REF (Post 699118)
I have talked to one of the guys and he swears that is is illegal to do this. Do any of you have any idea where he might be getting this information.

Yes: his butt.

PIAA REF Mon Nov 01, 2010 01:05pm

I don't have my book on me, I believe it is the last letter in all of those plays. I know it is page 70 of the Case Book.

Indianaref Mon Nov 01, 2010 01:13pm

FREE-THROW VIOLATIONS
9.1 COMMENT: While Rule 8-1 clearly states which marked lane spaces must be occupied and by whom, a team forfeits its right to any space not occupied before the free throw starts (when the ball is placed at the disposal of the free thrower). Once a free throw starts, no player occupying a marked lane space (first three on each side) may enter or leave such space or break with either foot the vertical plane of any lane or lane-space boundary until the ball touches the ring or backboard or until the free throw ends. Players who do not occupy a marked lane space may not have either foot break the vertical plane of the free-throw-line extended and the vertical plane of the three-point line until the ball touches the ring, or the backboard, or the free throw ends. No player may enter or leave a marked lane space after the ball is placed at the disposal of the free thrower until the restrictions have ended as outlined.

Camron Rust Mon Nov 01, 2010 01:27pm

Also, if a player touches the floor outside of their space with something other than the foot (usually the hand), they are also considered to have left the space. Perhaps this is what is causing them the confusion. Merely putting the hand outside of the box but in the air (even into another player's space) is not a violation at all. You could end up with a foul, but that is a different discusssion.

PIAA REF Mon Nov 01, 2010 02:06pm

That is understood, the problem is when players extend their hand and or arms accross their space and into another players space as they are preparing for a rebound. In the case book, letter c says it is legal. I just wanted to make sure I was reading it correctly.

Adam Mon Nov 01, 2010 06:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by PIAA REF (Post 699118)
I have looked and looked and still am not satisfied, if you can point me where I would be very happy: The problem is that we have some officials calling a violation on rebounders during free-throws for simply putting their arm/hand into another lane space. On page 70 of the case book this action seems to be legal. I have talked to one of the guys and he swears that is is illegal to do this. Do any of you have any idea where he might be getting this information. I for one have never called a violation for players putting their arms over their spave and into anothers as long as there was no contact. Is there anywhere else besided page 70 of the case that may clarify this better?

Thanks

I would ask him for the rule reference.

Adam Mon Nov 01, 2010 06:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by PIAA REF (Post 699142)
That is understood, the problem is when players extend their hand and or arms accross their space and into another players space as they are preparing for a rebound. In the case book, letter c says it is legal. I just wanted to make sure I was reading it correctly.

It's legal; I've seen some officials put a stop to it by telling players to keep their hands to themselves. I've also seen officials state it's illegal, but not be able to provide a rule reference.

Jurassic Referee Mon Nov 01, 2010 07:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by PIAA REF (Post 699142)

Legal to extend arms. Could be a foul on contact though if you decide they hold with it.

Indianaref Tue Nov 02, 2010 02:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee (Post 699204)
Legal to extend arms. Could be a foul on contact though if you decide they hold with it.

Or push :)

Joel Poli Tue Nov 02, 2010 03:06pm

Rule reference...

legal play.

For your rules reference see NFHS 2010-11 casebook pg 70, 9.1.3 Situation L, play d