Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Aug 09, 2010, 06:04am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by amusedofficial View Post
I've never understood the present fad of wearing those socks that don't show above the shoe. They were always known as "peds" which were something women wore on the bottom of their feet and I was apparently absent the day the sock police decreed they were acceptable for men. They are also uncomfortable as hell.
As a distance runner I have some of the "low cut socks." They're soft, light, wick away the sweat, and I find them very comfortable. I don't wear them on the court - even in the summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amusedofficial View Post
There is nothing dorkier than a middle aged man walking down the street wearing black socks and shorts.
Sandles perhaps?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingsman1288 View Post
Just bring bring both (white and black) with you. At least you'll be able to match what your partner is wearing.
Exactly! Been there, done that. Got caught without white socks a few yrs ago and my P hooked me up. Now, I even bring my long pants in the summer just in case......
Old Mon Aug 09, 2010, 11:33am
Official Forum Member

Regarding pay issues, I reffed 5 games at a high level Nike national girls tournament last month in the Chicago area with games at various sites. The assigner wanted a 'resume' to see if you were 'qualified' to officiate. Emails were fast and furious a good month before tourney, with various guidelines to follow and numerous site changes. My games were changed to a Junior College 60 miles from my home. My first game was at 8:00 am and assigner wanted us there 30 minutes prior to tipoff, and we were required to call him when we arrived. I should have known something was up when I checked my partner's experience level on the IHSA web site.............3rd year guy.

Half way into first game I find out game fee is twenty bucks. The entrance fee for teams was I believe 10,000 making it, according to coaches, the most expensive event to date. It was a college exposure event with over 200 college coaches attending. I was furious and felt taken advantage of. I don't officiate for money but somebody was taking a hefty slice out of our pockets.

As it turned out, many officials found out it was 20 bucks a game and either backed out, or just didn't show for the next day games. I never bothered to ask game fees as I assumed it would be fair for summer ball.

Only good thing about the event was it was good ball with great players from all over the country.

That said, it's been almost a month and I'm yet to be paid.

Fool me once..............
Old Mon Aug 09, 2010, 11:44am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Argh!

Tough story Fullor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
.........it's been almost a month and I'm yet to be paid.
Along with everything else, man I hate this! You know money changed hands a long, long time ago!
Old Mon Aug 09, 2010, 12:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
Tough story Fullor!

Along with everything else, man I hate this! You know money changed hands a long, long time ago!

Supposedly, assigner had money the day the tournament ended.
Old Mon Aug 09, 2010, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Half way into first game I find out game fee is twenty bucks. The entrance fee for teams was I believe 10,000 making it, according to coaches, the most expensive event to date. It was a college exposure event with over 200 college coaches attending. I was furious and felt taken advantage of. I don't officiate for money but somebody was taking a hefty slice out of our pockets.
I hope you are wrong becasue that it completely outrageous unless they're playing 30-40 games.

They were paying the officials $20/game for a total of $40/game. Perhaps some other clock/logistics/security people were being paid. So maybe you've got $100 per game in personnel expenses...call it $200 to be generous and give the organizers and assignor a little profit. Gym space is not that expensive and even if it were, it woudn't add up to 10k. Let's call it $300 per game for floor time. So @ $500 per game split between 2 teams ($250 each). That gives them enough money to run 40 games per team...

...or the organizers and/or assignors are making a lot of money.

The fact that college coaches are there is not relevant, they're there on their own dime.
Old Mon Aug 09, 2010, 02:00pm
Huck Finn

I was not a happy person about the one tournament that paid $22.50. I wouldn't leave the house for $20 unless the games lasted 30 minutes.

FYI - the only reason officials left town without money was if there was a scheduling issue and they had to get on the road. Checks were mailed to those individuals. Anyone who doesn't have the professionalism to make sure people are paid isn't someone worth working with.
Old Mon Aug 09, 2010, 03:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
I hope you are wrong becasue that it completely outrageous unless they're playing 30-40 games.

They were paying the officials $20/game for a total of $40/game. Perhaps some other clock/logistics/security people were being paid. So maybe you've got $100 per game in personnel expenses...call it $200 to be generous and give the organizers and assignor a little profit. Gym space is not that expensive and even if it were, it woudn't add up to 10k. Let's call it $300 per game for floor time. So @ $500 per game split between 2 teams ($250 each). That gives them enough money to run 40 games per team...

...or the organizers and/or assignors are making a lot of money.

The fact that college coaches are there is not relevant, they're there on their own dime.
The point about the coaches being there is it attracts more teams and promoters/Nike use that as a selling point to justify high entrance fee.
Old Mon Aug 09, 2010, 03:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The point about the coaches being there is it attracts more teams and promoters/Nike use that as a selling point to justify high entrance fee.
Understood, but 10k? And if so, they should at least be paying the officials standard wages. Get the officials to boycott it unless the pay is better---or have the assignor give the best officials to other tourneys---and leave them with scrubs and rec. league officials. Let's see how much the teams like paying premium rates for rookie officials.
Old Mon Aug 09, 2010, 05:19pm
Official Forum Member

I actually know where 2 of those gyms used for that tournament are located at. I was even at one during the first day/afternoon of play. (What can I say, I know people HA) I believe whoever assigns NCAA W for Big 10 etc, used that as one of their evaluating camps but is no longer affiliated with that event, which might explain some of the officiating cluster.
While I think the 10k entree fee might be a bit high, I wouldnt be suprised if it was between 5k - 7500. You also forgot to add in the 'fee" the college coaches pay to get into the event which, if memory serves was $300. Unless the officiating was horrendous, I am not sure how much those coaches care, they just want to see and be seen. Now the coaches with AAU might care!!