The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Aug 03, 2010, 08:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
What I find funny are people that expect champagne officials on a beer budget.
In my experience, they don't think about what they're likely to get for $30. A related issue is that they're not skilled at distinguishing good from bad officials.
Old Tue Aug 03, 2010, 11:23am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
In my experience, they don't think about what they're likely to get for $30. A related issue is that they're not skilled at distinguishing good from bad officials.
I'm sure Tommy is. However, expecting guys to bust hump all out for $30 for 8 games is, quite frankly, unrealistic. Likewise, expecting people to say, "Sorry, but I just can't physically do more than three games without slowing down a bit" and being happy with $90 when there's a hotel bill involved is equally unrealistic.

I do a few rec games, usually a week or two before I go to a camp. But they're local and I'm doing it more for me knocking the rust off than to make money. Cause for the $25 or $30 they're paying a game, if it wasn't for the "knocking the rust off" I wouldn't even leave the house.

Amazingly enough, we work time limited baseball that pays $45 a game and we're working to get that increased next season (unless I do 3-4 of those I don't leave the house, either). And that stuff doesn't involve us running up and down a court all day.
Old Tue Aug 03, 2010, 01:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
$30 a game
I've done league/tournaments for $20 and $22 a game.
A good tournament/league will pay out $25 a game.
Old Tue Aug 03, 2010, 01:54pm
Huck Finn

Let me fill in some blanks.

Keep in mind, first people blamed 9/11 for everything and now it is the economy.

Game fees (all two-man): $28, $25, $22.50 (I know)
Lodging: Palace station $29/night weekdays, $49/night weekends (I think this is right)

This year was the first year a camp was held the first two days of the tournament. Many of those officials stuck around and worked games for pay.

With so many sites, there were officials who slipped through the cracks and I didn't know they were in over their heads until I got a call about them. It will not be as easy for officials to work games next year - I have to know I can count on officials being on time and being able to handle the games.

I moved away for a few years and when I came back my goal was to come close to breaking even. I was able to stay with a friend, but I paid for a rental. Some of these officials are out of work and wanted to make some money. While I feel for them, I will have a standard amount of games, with a rest period in between, for all officials from out of town. I'm thinking it would be 3/rest/3. I did have 3 officials from Colorado who only wanted 3 games a day. I guess they wanted to enjoy themselves after that.

I think this is way too low, but we have to realize we are the last thing these tournament directors think about - the scum at the bottom of the barrel.
Old Tue Aug 03, 2010, 02:02pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun View Post
I did have 3 officials from Colorado who only wanted 3 games a day. I guess they wanted to enjoy themselves after that.
This would be my approach; but my wife would likely come with me and not take too kindly to me working too many games.
Old Tue Aug 03, 2010, 02:06pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
This would be my approach; but my wife would likely come with me and not take too kindly to me working too many games.
That would be the way to do it, IMO. Make it as part of a vacation.
Old Tue Aug 03, 2010, 02:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I think this is way too low, but we have to realize we are the last thing these tournament directors think about - the scum at the bottom of the barrel.
Sometimes, as scheduler, it's our job to TELL them. I had a softball league I scheduled for, but didn't work. $25 a game, start times 90 minutes apart... on a good day you could get in 4 with proper breaks, maybe 6 without. I told them this was too low, but they stuck with it. Eventually, they were only getting the umpires that would work ANYwhere. The good umpires were working for $35, 70-75 minutes apart (this is where I was working too!). After 2 years of this they told me they were disappointed with the quality of officiating, and decided to hire high-schoolers on their own to work the games.

Only took half a season of this before they came back to me, hat in hand, $40 a game 90 minutes apart, and the following season it was $35 / 75 - just like everyone else. They've been happy since (although I've since moved, I hear it's still good there).

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Aug 03, 2010, 02:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I did have 3 officials from Colorado who only wanted 3 games a day. I guess they wanted to enjoy themselves after that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Hey, that sounds like a good idea. Contact me in the future and I might just schedule a "vacation" to Vegas. I've never been there before but like to visit. And while i don't gamble or drink, I would love to see some of the shows such as Cirque du Soleil or Criss Angel.
Old Tue Aug 03, 2010, 03:04pm
Official Forum Member

Keep me in the loop as well. Since the Mrs and I were married in Vegas (no she was NOT a showgirl!) we always love going back.
CAM - Cirque shows are awesome, but the Chris Angel show was a bit of a disappointment. I recommend Hash House a Go Go and Batista's Hole in The Wall for eating!
Old Tue Aug 03, 2010, 03:30pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:

Keep in mind, first people blamed 9/11 for everything and now it is the economy.

Game fees (all two-man): $28, $25, $22.50 (I know)
Lodging: Palace station $29/night weekdays, $49/night weekends (I think this is right)
Eww. What's the pay differential? Different levels of basketball?

You know, I say I wouldn't do it, but I would if I could bring my own crew and we could work a fairly light schedule to leave time for other things. For those who need to make money, it sounds miserable, but for those looking for a partly subsidized vacation, it sounds OK. It would cost me a bit more than $29/$49 to stay, I think, cause I'd be in a nice place on the strip.

Not arriving on time is inexcusable, but I would expect to have the "can't handle the level of ball" issue every year. As a scheduler, you just deal with that and try to survive. I dealt with it for 3 years of adult baseball -- I just tried hiding the weak umpires on the non-competitive games and made sure to rotate them around so the same team didn't see them more than twice (cause then I'd get complaints).

You mentioned guys were out of uniform. How does *that* happen? I mean, surely you allow black shorts for summer games with such low pay, right?
Old Tue Aug 03, 2010, 03:31pm
Huck Finn

Anyone who wants to come should PM me. I will NOT wait until a couple months before the tournaments to start putting this together again. I have a list now that I developed over the last couple of months - I do have a black list of officials who will not be back as long as I have any say!

IMO, Hash House a Go Go has super-large portions, but bland food. I haven't been to Batista's, but I'm willing to try it out.

Mystere (sp?) is an awesome show and O is good too.
Old Tue Aug 03, 2010, 03:39pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
Eww. What's the pay differential? Different levels of basketball?

You know, I say I wouldn't do it, but I would if I could bring my own crew and we could work a fairly light schedule to leave time for other things. For those who need to make money, it sounds miserable, but for those looking for a partly subsidized vacation, it sounds OK. It would cost me a bit more than $29/$49 to stay, I think, cause I'd be in a nice place on the strip.

Not arriving on time is inexcusable, but I would expect to have the "can't handle the level of ball" issue every year. As a scheduler, you just deal with that and try to survive. I dealt with it for 3 years of adult baseball -- I just tried hiding the weak umpires on the non-competitive games and made sure to rotate them around so the same team didn't see them more than twice (cause then I'd get complaints).

You mentioned guys were out of uniform. How does *that* happen? I mean, surely you allow black shorts for summer games with such low pay, right?
There were three different tournaments. One tournament was the low fee - something that will hopefully be addressed. The other differential was for two different levels of one tournament.

Yes, you could bring your own crew, but I will ask some questions beforehand. It isn't anything personal, but I have to have certain information.

This was the largest event I've scheduled for and I learned a lot. Certain officials will not see certain facilities because the games were just too big for them. When you have 10 D1 players on the court and every big name coach you can think of watching them I cannot afford to be generous with the games. I know my phone will ring (I had to change my plan because I went over 1500 text messages), but if I can limit the calls I will.

Two organizations were involved with this event. So I have two people I must answer to and they must answer to the tournament directors. Officials guidelines were sent out and the uniform was clearly defined. All black shorts, 90% black shoes, WHITE socks and black and white stripes. Doesn't sound too hard huh? Well, apparently it was. The fines were clearly defined too and officials still did things to take money out of their pockets. I was amazed by it all. I think fines were in the neighborhood of $500!
Old Tue Aug 03, 2010, 04:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Two organizations were involved with this event. So I have two people I must answer to and they must answer to the tournament directors. Officials guidelines were sent out and the uniform was clearly defined. All black shorts, 90% black shoes, WHITE socks and black and white stripes. Doesn't sound too hard huh? Well, apparently it was. The fines were clearly defined too and officials still did things to take money out of their pockets. I was amazed by it all. I think fines were in the neighborhood of $500!
In regards to the fines, although not an issue when I arrive to a game.

Fines just seem like the organizers looking for excuses to cut the referees and remind them of their place. They could not do what they do if referees don't do what they do.

I see stuff like this all the time in my line of work. Both parties agree to a contract and then the owner comes back and tries to nickel and dime people on the way out the door. Over time this can equate to large chunks of money going back into the owner's pocket, yet the owner received FULL benefit of the service that was provided.

I know it can be a tough spot, and people should be able to handle a simple dress code. Did the players wear arm sleeves and livestrong bands during play?
Old Tue Aug 03, 2010, 04:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by icallfouls View Post
I know it can be a tough spot, and people should be able to handle a simple dress code. Did the players wear arm sleeves and livestrong bands during play?
He's talking about officials, not players - and the dress code he was asking for sounds like something that EVERY basketball official has - so not wearing it seems to be either extraordinarily lazy, or intentionally sloppy. I have no problem with docking the pay of guys who can't follow an easy dress code. I hope the money went to charity or a local high school or something - and not the tourney director's or UIC's pockets!

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Aug 03, 2010, 04:29pm
Official Forum Member

For anyone who does make the trip and work for Tom, you will find that he is first class. He does things the right way and backs his people. Of course, in return he asks that you take care of business. Be on time, be in the proper uniform, don't cause unnecessary problems, handle the little stuff without bothering him, etc.

I've done games both for him and with him. My experience was completely positive.