View Single Post
Old Mon Aug 09, 2010, 11:33am
Official Forum Member

Regarding pay issues, I reffed 5 games at a high level Nike national girls tournament last month in the Chicago area with games at various sites. The assigner wanted a 'resume' to see if you were 'qualified' to officiate. Emails were fast and furious a good month before tourney, with various guidelines to follow and numerous site changes. My games were changed to a Junior College 60 miles from my home. My first game was at 8:00 am and assigner wanted us there 30 minutes prior to tipoff, and we were required to call him when we arrived. I should have known something was up when I checked my partner's experience level on the IHSA web site.............3rd year guy.

Half way into first game I find out game fee is twenty bucks. The entrance fee for teams was I believe 10,000 making it, according to coaches, the most expensive event to date. It was a college exposure event with over 200 college coaches attending. I was furious and felt taken advantage of. I don't officiate for money but somebody was taking a hefty slice out of our pockets.

As it turned out, many officials found out it was 20 bucks a game and either backed out, or just didn't show for the next day games. I never bothered to ask game fees as I assumed it would be fair for summer ball.

Only good thing about the event was it was good ball with great players from all over the country.

That said, it's been almost a month and I'm yet to be paid.

Fool me once..............