The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   This past weekend in Vegas (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/58685-past-weekend-vegas.html)

tomegun Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:35am

This past weekend in Vegas

I have never seen so much basketball in Vegas at one time. I had the daunting task of assigning more than 20 courts for three tournaments at the same time. I didn't make it to 1/4 of the courts I assigned, but this is what I took from the weekend:

• There are a lot of good officials out there - both good on the court and good people
  • There are a lot of U1s and U2s out there; I was amazed at how many calls I got about issues that could have been handled without my intervention.
  • On the flip side, one official sent me a text message and said, "I ejected a coach. He was being belligerent and disrespectful. blah, blah, blah." My response: good job.
  • I can't believe how many officials were late, no shows and/or out of uniform. Especially when the guy I worked for clearly communicated fines.
  • The only time I was able to relax was when I was on the court officiating.
  • Many officials have a seriously inflated opinion of their abilities. I hope some of them realized they were in over their heads and I cannot let that happen again next year regardless of what I think of them as people.
  • Many officials lack integrity and think other people, me in this case, are stupid. Uh, I don't think so.
  • My cell phone was blowing up all weekend! I'm almost at my monthly limit of 1500 text messages and my billing cycle doesn't end until the 16th. Yikes!
  • Basketball is a great sport.
One official from this board was going to come and work, but something happened and he was unable to make it. Word on the street was that Nevada was in town, but he was working another tournament and I didn't see him or talk to him.

Mark Padgett Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:48am

It sounded pretty stressful but think about how nice and cool it was outside. ;)

Jay R Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:53am

I was also involved (as an official only) in a big tournament in our area. Every year, it's a struggle to get enough guys and gals to officiate this tourney.

Here are some of my observations:
- The level of play was strong with a few exceptions
- Most officials were doing so many games (3-4 games a day of good quality high school age and one older division) that it's difficult to stay sharp
- Most officials worked hard and were professional
- A couple were an embarassment to our avocation
- One official stopped to talk to a fan during play; on a drive to the basket, his partner had to call a foul from the trail because buddy wasn't looking at the play (this guy should not be officiating but that's what happens when you don't have the numbers)
- Myself, I had a great weekend of mostly good ball and a nice paycheck to take home.

tomegun Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:07am

Wow, your only concern with number of games were officials doing 3-4? One of my biggest struggles was officials wanting to come here and make a lot of money. With travel and lodging it is difficult - some officials wanted me to give them 8-10 games a day. By last night I could see officials struggling. I know this is driven by the economy, but I will have strict standards next year. I don't know how they do it; I did four games yesterday and I was tired (I didn't plan on doing four, but when I asked the site director if he wanted three-man for the last four games I was the only official there so I had to do the first two of those last four).

The other problem I had was officials thinking they could receive games from me and assign them or that they were the leader of their group that came with them. Some of those officials will not be back; I have someone I'm accountable to and I have to know what is going on.

Judtech Mon Jul 26, 2010 01:39pm

Heck, if you had had it in April I could have helped out. I would have done it for a free buffet and/or show ticket!!
Although it appears you did violate the first rule of the Las Vegas Chamber of Commerce. What happened in Vegas apparently didn't stay in Vegas!!:D

bainsey Mon Jul 26, 2010 01:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomegun (Post 686629)
[*]There are a lot of U1s and U2s out there; I was amazed at how many calls I got about issues that could have been handled without my intervention.

Some clarity, please. Are you talking about umpires in a three-man crew, or do "U1 & U2" have another meaning?

BktBallRef Mon Jul 26, 2010 02:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bainsey (Post 686659)
Some clarity, please. Are you talking about umpires in a three-man crew, or do "U1 & U2" have another meaning?

He's referring to officials who are assigned as U1 or U2 in a three man crew becasue they don't yet have the experience, knowledge, know-how- or people skills to be the referee (the man who has all those qualities and can handle a situation before it gets pushed back to the assignor.

dahoopref Mon Jul 26, 2010 02:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bainsey (Post 686659)

I believe Tome is referring that 2 of the officials on the crew did not have an "R" mentality in order to "take care of business" on the floor. An "R" (aka "A Lead") is a leader and steps up to handle any problems/situations that arise.

Raymond Mon Jul 26, 2010 03:03pm

tom, I'll be out there in September. Got anything going on the weekend after Labor Day?

Camron Rust Mon Jul 26, 2010 03:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef (Post 686661)
He's referring to officials who are assigned as U1 or U2 in a three man crew becasue they don't yet have the experience, knowledge, know-how- or people skills to be the referee (the man who has all those qualities and can handle a situation before it gets pushed back to the assignor.

I'm guessing he might have even been talking about people who were assigned to the R position but acted like a U1/U2.

tomegun Mon Jul 26, 2010 04:24pm

It can be all of the above, but in this case it was simply calling me on the phone for dumb stuff. This really applies for many occupations. It is like someone who always has to ask versus someone who knows what to do and may or may not back brief.

BNR, I'm thinking the only thing we will have at that time is Men's Rec. July was definitely the month to come out. NBA scrimmages, Euro League tryouts, huge high AAU tournaments. It was like Boo Williams on steroids.

Judtech Mon Jul 26, 2010 04:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomegun (Post 686687)
It can be all of the above, but in this case it was simply calling me on the phone for dumb stuff. This really applies for many occupations. It is like someone who always has to ask versus someone who knows what to do and may or may not back brief.

BNR, I'm thinking the only thing we will have at that time is Men's Rec. July was definitely the month to come out. NBA scrimmages, Euro League tryouts, huge high AAU tournaments. It was like Boo Williams on steroids.

I believe Boo has passed all of his random HGH screenings!!!:D

Mark Padgett Mon Jul 26, 2010 05:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomegun (Post 686687)

BNR, I'm thinking the only thing we will have at that time is Men's Wreakage. July was definitely the month to come out. NBA scrimmages, Euro League tryouts, huge high AAU tournaments. It was like Boo Williams on steroids.

Fixed it for ya'.

Nevadaref Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:02pm

Just for the record

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomegun (Post 686629)
Word on the street was that Nevada was in town, but he was working another tournament and I didn't see him or talk to him.

That rumor is 100% NOT true.

Had I been able to make it down there, I most certainly would have worked for you. Unfortunately, I had other business this past weekend and this week which prevented me from traveling.

I haven't been to Vegas since March.

grunewar Tue Jul 27, 2010 05:31am

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomegun (Post 686640)
some officials wanted me to give them 8-10 games a day.

Padgett was in town?