The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jul 26, 2010, 10:35am
Huck Finn

This past weekend in Vegas

I have never seen so much basketball in Vegas at one time. I had the daunting task of assigning more than 20 courts for three tournaments at the same time. I didn't make it to 1/4 of the courts I assigned, but this is what I took from the weekend:

• There are a lot of good officials out there - both good on the court and good people
  • There are a lot of U1s and U2s out there; I was amazed at how many calls I got about issues that could have been handled without my intervention.
  • On the flip side, one official sent me a text message and said, "I ejected a coach. He was being belligerent and disrespectful. blah, blah, blah." My response: good job.
  • I can't believe how many officials were late, no shows and/or out of uniform. Especially when the guy I worked for clearly communicated fines.
  • The only time I was able to relax was when I was on the court officiating.
  • Many officials have a seriously inflated opinion of their abilities. I hope some of them realized they were in over their heads and I cannot let that happen again next year regardless of what I think of them as people.
  • Many officials lack integrity and think other people, me in this case, are stupid. Uh, I don't think so.
  • My cell phone was blowing up all weekend! I'm almost at my monthly limit of 1500 text messages and my billing cycle doesn't end until the 16th. Yikes!
  • Basketball is a great sport.
One official from this board was going to come and work, but something happened and he was unable to make it. Word on the street was that Nevada was in town, but he was working another tournament and I didn't see him or talk to him.
Old Mon Jul 26, 2010, 10:48am
certified Hot Mom tester

It sounded pretty stressful but think about how nice and cool it was outside.
Old Mon Jul 26, 2010, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

I was also involved (as an official only) in a big tournament in our area. Every year, it's a struggle to get enough guys and gals to officiate this tourney.

Here are some of my observations:
- The level of play was strong with a few exceptions
- Most officials were doing so many games (3-4 games a day of good quality high school age and one older division) that it's difficult to stay sharp
- Most officials worked hard and were professional
- A couple were an embarassment to our avocation
- One official stopped to talk to a fan during play; on a drive to the basket, his partner had to call a foul from the trail because buddy wasn't looking at the play (this guy should not be officiating but that's what happens when you don't have the numbers)
- Myself, I had a great weekend of mostly good ball and a nice paycheck to take home.
Old Mon Jul 26, 2010, 11:07am
Huck Finn

Wow, your only concern with number of games were officials doing 3-4? One of my biggest struggles was officials wanting to come here and make a lot of money. With travel and lodging it is difficult - some officials wanted me to give them 8-10 games a day. By last night I could see officials struggling. I know this is driven by the economy, but I will have strict standards next year. I don't know how they do it; I did four games yesterday and I was tired (I didn't plan on doing four, but when I asked the site director if he wanted three-man for the last four games I was the only official there so I had to do the first two of those last four).

The other problem I had was officials thinking they could receive games from me and assign them or that they were the leader of their group that came with them. Some of those officials will not be back; I have someone I'm accountable to and I have to know what is going on.
Old Mon Jul 26, 2010, 01:39pm
Official Forum Member

Heck, if you had had it in April I could have helped out. I would have done it for a free buffet and/or show ticket!!
Although it appears you did violate the first rule of the Las Vegas Chamber of Commerce. What happened in Vegas apparently didn't stay in Vegas!!
Old Mon Jul 26, 2010, 01:52pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun View Post
[*]There are a lot of U1s and U2s out there; I was amazed at how many calls I got about issues that could have been handled without my intervention.
Some clarity, please. Are you talking about umpires in a three-man crew, or do "U1 & U2" have another meaning?
Old Mon Jul 26, 2010, 02:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
Some clarity, please. Are you talking about umpires in a three-man crew, or do "U1 & U2" have another meaning?
He's referring to officials who are assigned as U1 or U2 in a three man crew becasue they don't yet have the experience, knowledge, know-how- or people skills to be the referee (the man who has all those qualities and can handle a situation before it gets pushed back to the assignor.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Jul 26, 2010, 02:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
I believe Tome is referring that 2 of the officials on the crew did not have an "R" mentality in order to "take care of business" on the floor. An "R" (aka "A Lead") is a leader and steps up to handle any problems/situations that arise.
Old Mon Jul 26, 2010, 03:03pm
Courageous When Prudent

tom, I'll be out there in September. Got anything going on the weekend after Labor Day?
Old Mon Jul 26, 2010, 03:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
He's referring to officials who are assigned as U1 or U2 in a three man crew becasue they don't yet have the experience, knowledge, know-how- or people skills to be the referee (the man who has all those qualities and can handle a situation before it gets pushed back to the assignor.

I'm guessing he might have even been talking about people who were assigned to the R position but acted like a U1/U2.
Old Mon Jul 26, 2010, 04:24pm
Huck Finn

It can be all of the above, but in this case it was simply calling me on the phone for dumb stuff. This really applies for many occupations. It is like someone who always has to ask versus someone who knows what to do and may or may not back brief.

BNR, I'm thinking the only thing we will have at that time is Men's Rec. July was definitely the month to come out. NBA scrimmages, Euro League tryouts, huge high AAU tournaments. It was like Boo Williams on steroids.
Old Mon Jul 26, 2010, 04:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It can be all of the above, but in this case it was simply calling me on the phone for dumb stuff. This really applies for many occupations. It is like someone who always has to ask versus someone who knows what to do and may or may not back brief.

BNR, I'm thinking the only thing we will have at that time is Men's Rec. July was definitely the month to come out. NBA scrimmages, Euro League tryouts, huge high AAU tournaments. It was like Boo Williams on steroids.
I believe Boo has passed all of his random HGH screenings!!!
Old Mon Jul 26, 2010, 05:29pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:

BNR, I'm thinking the only thing we will have at that time is Men's Wreakage. July was definitely the month to come out. NBA scrimmages, Euro League tryouts, huge high AAU tournaments. It was like Boo Williams on steroids.
Fixed it for ya'.
Old Mon Jul 26, 2010, 10:02pm
Official Forum Member

Just for the record

Quote:
Word on the street was that Nevada was in town, but he was working another tournament and I didn't see him or talk to him.
That rumor is 100% NOT true.

Had I been able to make it down there, I most certainly would have worked for you. Unfortunately, I had other business this past weekend and this week which prevented me from traveling.

I haven't been to Vegas since March.

Last edited by Nevadaref; Mon Jul 26, 2010 at 10:05pm.
Old Tue Jul 27, 2010, 05:31am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Talking

Quote:
some officials wanted me to give them 8-10 games a day.
Padgett was in town?