Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 27, 2010, 03:02pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Well, it's already been rescinded.
2010 NBA playoffs: Kendrick Perkins eligible for the Boston Celtics' Game 6 against the Orlando Magic after technical foul rescinded - ESPN Boston
Old Thu May 27, 2010, 03:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
"Walking away" doesn't make it all right to say whatever you want.
Point taken!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
Really? You let coaches and players ***** more about a call you weren't sure of than a call that your were sure of? If you weren't sure, why'd you make the call in the first place? This sentiment is nonsense.
Ummm excuse me, but questionable call & not being sure of a call are two totally different things. You're putting words in the my mouth.

1. When I said questionable, I was referring to the coaches/players/fanatics. Questionable to THEM.

2. I dont put air in it unless I'm sure.

Hope this gives you a better understanding of what "I" meant by questionable call.
Old Thu May 27, 2010, 03:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
Ummm excuse me, but questionable call & not being sure of a call are two totally different things. You're putting words in the my mouth.
My apologies... was not my intent.

Quote:
1. When I said questionable, I was referring to the coaches/players/fanatics. Questionable to THEM.
Hope this gives you a better understanding of what "I" meant by questionable call.
Yes... and no offense but I believe your clarification is worse than the words I inadvertently put in your mouth. Are you (see... this is a question not a statement, to avoid putting words in your mouth) asserting that you give more leeway to coaches complaining when THEY think your call is questionable than when THEY don't? Well that doesn't make any sense at all. (And I'm wondering why coaches would complain about calls they didn't disagree with).

West Houston Mike
Old Thu May 27, 2010, 03:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Point taken!

2. I dont put air in it unless I'm sure.

There is also the no-call where something appeared to happen but you passed because you were unsure while they felt something should have been called. You've already half agreed with them by conciously deciding to pass because you didn't get a good look. I'm going to give a bit more latitude on such situations....becasue they just might be right.
Old Thu May 27, 2010, 03:31pm
Official Forum Member

Since someone else already tossed in and apples/oranges (kids, coworkers) comparison, I'll throw one in there.

I'm glad football doesn't have such sensitive rules about complaining/cursing. I like seeing adult athletes getting fired up. I would hate to watch a game played with the passion of an accountant.
Old Thu May 27, 2010, 03:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Yes... and no offense but I believe your clarification is worse than the words I inadvertently put in your mouth. Are you (see... this is a question not a statement, to avoid putting words in your mouth) asserting that you give more leeway to coaches complaining when THEY think your call is questionable than when THEY don't? Well that doesn't make any sense at all. (And I'm wondering why coaches would complain about calls they didn't disagree with).
Ok Mike, let me break it down for you sir.

Questionable:
A3 takes it strong to the rack, the secondary defender B5 slides in front of A3. They get to the spot basically at the same time & both hit the deck. It can go either way (50/50) I count the bucket & put A3 on the line.
Team Bs coach wants to know why no p/c, I give him my explanation. He argues a bit, I say I understand & walk away.

Clear cut:
Same play but B5 is clearly still trying to get to the spot when the crash happens. If coach wants to argue this one he might get whacked or put on notice at the very least.
Old Thu May 27, 2010, 03:54pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by bball_lurker View Post
I'm glad football doesn't have such sensitive rules about complaining/cursing.
Say what?

NFL game officials sureshell never let any player curse them out. And imo they allow way less complaining than their NBA counterparts.
Old Thu May 27, 2010, 03:54pm
Official Forum Member

Others have noted that the he-was-walking-away argument doesn't hold water. I agree, but for different reasons. I think that Rush had already made the decision to whack Perkins due to the arm-flailing tantrum he threw immediately following Rush's first call.

It's interesting the way this worked out for Perkins. If he had never turned away, and just stopped the hysterics after the first series of gestures, then he wouldn't have had people running to dismiss his obscenity. Further, if he hadn't uttered the obscenity, it would have been much clearer to the masses that the gestures were what did the trick.

Another item I haven't seen mentioned is that Rush had just whacked the Magic's Matt Barnes a few minutes earlier, so everyone should have recognized that they were on notice.

Duncan and Pierce are the two biggest whiners I know of, but Perkins is the biggest cry-baby in the league. I have zero sympathy for him here.
Old Thu May 27, 2010, 05:12pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
How about an adult gets pulled over by a cop (since we are more in that capacity). I'm sure "this is a BS ticket" will be handled in different manners based on the cop. Although some may arrest you for that, I'm sure the majority would just eat it.
I'm not aware of any laws that would allow for such an arrest. My guess would be any law that could be used for that would amount to such a stretch as to render the arresting officer a laughing stock among his colleagues.

'that's a bs call' gets a T from me every time, but I don't work NBA ball. It apparently is enough for a T from Eddie Rush.

And it's not as if this guy was looking at a suspension due to one T, he'd received 6 others in the post season; a total of what, 15 games so far? That's a pretty good clip.
Old Thu May 27, 2010, 05:15pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Another reason I have trouble watching NBA.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Same here.

Peace
and here
Old Thu May 27, 2010, 05:18pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
I'm not aware of any laws that would allow for such an arrest. My guess would be any law that could be used for that would amount to such a stretch as to render the arresting officer a laughing stock among his colleagues.
Disorderly conduct would be the charge though IIRC, it has to be because it would be a disturbance to others and not the officer himself.
Old Thu May 27, 2010, 05:21pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
Disorderly conduct would be the charge though IIRC, it has to be because it would be a disturbance to others and not the officer himself.
Right, which wouldn't apply to the situation presented, where I tell the cop it's a BS ticket. Now, OTOH, such a statement would be highly likely to give the cop reason to hit me with every single violation he could find.
Old Thu May 27, 2010, 08:08pm
Official Forum Member

I really don't think you can put this comparison in a regular work place or adult interaction relationship.

The adult getting the speeding ticket or in the work place is not in front of millions of fans all over the world, being paid millions of dollars by a contract with conduct clause, engaging in an activity with rules explicitly requiring sportsmanship and supposedly acting as a role model.

I understand the NBA routinely lets its slide, but I'm ok with the whacking.

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!
Old Thu May 27, 2010, 08:22pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I have to admit I'm disappointed, yet not surprised, that the NBA rescinded the T. To me, it's the final nail in the coffin of the POE from a couple of years ago which led to a ton of Ts early in the season. It's not as if video replay showed the player didn't commit the infraction.

And FWIW, players should not get a bigger leash just because they've already been issued a T in the same game.
Old Thu May 27, 2010, 08:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I hope that is what he is saying cause that is just good game management and understanding the emotions of the game. If it is a hard/close play, then we should understand a coach's Point of view and give him more of an opportunity rather than a play where it was blatantly easy in our eyes, then he gets less leeway.

That's not to say the coach never regains his composure or gathers himself together in a reasonable amount of time. In that case he will still receive a Technical foul.