The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Aug 06, 2007, 12:01am
Official Forum Member

My ejection

Yes, I said My. As in "moi," "mein," "mi" and whatever else.
This was a first for me. Probably not a first in the world, but, I haven't umpired everywhere.

SP Coed VERY Rec tournament. ASA rules. My fourth game of the day. Had two decent games, one game from hell, but, hey, it's coed VERY rec. Ya'll know the drill.

So....in my fourth game, Team A has runners at 2 and 3 with two outs. Batter drives ball to outfield for clean hit, likely to only decent player on team. Runner on third scores. Runner from second is a dead duck at HP and runs halfway to hell to avoid the tag. I kill it, declare him out. Of course, it's the worst call in the history of softball. (Don't you wish these folks would come up with something original?)

I usually alternate baselines between innings, depending on which team is at bat. I am on the first base line about 15 feet up the line from home. Unfortunately, the dead duck is the first baseman. He decides to continue the discussion. Just about the time of the second personal pronoun with a vastly overused four letter word, he's toast. I ran him very calmly, no screaming, no theatrics.

I get the usual "WHAT?!?" with the hands thrown up, etc. I instruct him he should leave the field post haste and retreat to the parking lot. While he's gathering his gear his coach comes out and wants to discuss things further. While we are discussing, the former 1B shows up on the field with the TD.

I turn and ask the TD what I can do to help him. He informs me that I have to let the guy back in.

"Wait," I tell this loser. "You're the TD. I am the umpire. This is your tournament, but this is my game. He's ejected, and he has to leave."

"No," he says, finger in my face, "you have to let him back in."

"No, you don't understand," says moi. "He's gone. He's ejected."

"No," says this esteemed gentleman of softball. "You're ejected."

"Whaaaaaaat," says I.

"You're ejected," sez he. "I'll umpire the rest of the game."

"OK, sir, but you know you still owe me the game fee for this game AND the game fee for the next game for which I'm scheduled."

The rusty wheels are turning, right there behind the missing frontal lobe.

"Well, OK, one more chance," he says and starts walking off the field.

I look, and the 1B is still on the field.

"You still have to go," I tell him.

"No," says Mr. T-Head from just the other side of the fence. "He stays."

"Well, in that case, here are your game balls," sez I as I empty my ball bag and walk off the field.

We pass each other.

"Sir, at least one of us is leaving with his integrity intact," sez I, "and that would be me."

I go to my car, drive to the BBQ joint, and spend my game fee on some decent ribs — and decide that for Lent 2008, I'll give up slowpitch.

Last edited by bkbjones; Mon Aug 06, 2007 at 12:19am.
Old Mon Aug 06, 2007, 02:40am
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkbjones
So....in my fourth game, Team A has R2 and R3, two outs. Batter drives ball to outfield for clean hit, R3 scores. R2 is easy out at HP in chase.
R2 decides to continue the discussion as he takes the field. Using foul and personal language, I ran him very calmly, no screaming, no theatrics.

I get the usual "WHAT?!?" with the hands thrown up, etc. I instruct him he should leave the field post haste and retreat to the parking lot. While he's gathering his gear his coach comes out and wants to discuss things further. While we are discussing, the former 1B shows up on the field with the TD.

I turn and ask the TD what I can do to help him. He informs me that I have to let the guy back in.

"Wait," I tell this loser. "You're the TD. I am the umpire. This is your tournament, but this is my game. He's ejected, and he has to leave."

"No," he says, finger in my face, "you have to let him back in."

"No, you don't understand," says moi. "He's gone. He's ejected."

"No," says this esteemed gentleman of softball. "You're ejected."

"Whaaaaaaat," says I.

"You're ejected," sez he. "I'll umpire the rest of the game."

"OK, sir, but you know you still owe me the game fee for this game AND the game fee for the next game for which I'm scheduled."

The rusty wheels are turning, right there behind the missing frontal lobe.

"Well, OK, one more chance," he says and starts walking off the field.

I look, and the 1B is still on the field.

"You still have to go," I tell him.

"No," says Mr. T-Head from just the other side of the fence. "He stays."

"Well, in that case, here are your game balls," sez I as I empty my ball bag and walk off the field.

We pass each other.

"Sir, at least one of us is leaving with his integrity intact," sez I, "and that would be me."

I go to my car, drive to the BBQ joint, and spend my game fee on some decent ribs — and decide that for Lent 2008, I'll give up slowpitch.
Moral of story. Players play to play, players play to pay you, you are nothing more than a servant in this environment. Bow your had and say "Yassir" or don't do these games.
Old Mon Aug 06, 2007, 03:12am
Official Forum Member

I'll think I would have stayed just a little longer on the grounds, not on the field itself. I think I would inform my fellow ump's who are also working that tournament that the TD is dumber than dumb and why he ejected me...
More ump's (I was thinking about all of them) would/could/SHOULD leave the tournament...

Ik ben niet gek, doe alleen alsof! Gaat me goed af toch?
Old Mon Aug 06, 2007, 03:17am
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Alex
I'll think I would have stayed just a little longer on the grounds, not on the field itself. I think I would inform my fellow ump's who are also working that tournament that the TD is dumber than dumb and why he ejected me...
More ump's (I was thinking about all of them) would/could/SHOULD leave the tournament...
In a dream world, Dutch.
Old Mon Aug 06, 2007, 04:02am
Official Forum Member

Holy mother of God!!!!!!!!!!!..............

DONT quit SP...it needs more great umps.

DONT work for that TD again.

IF the TD has a boss..... calll him..............ASAP
Old Mon Aug 06, 2007, 05:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitump56
In a dream world, Dutch.
I'm a dreamer! Besides that, it's not the fee that I umpire for. I know in the US umpires work the games to have an income. My fee doesn't cover all of my costs. I have to work to feed my wife and family and CAN umpire besides that... It makes it easier to be solidair with a college who has been dishonnored.

Ik ben niet gek, doe alleen alsof! Gaat me goed af toch?
Old Mon Aug 06, 2007, 06:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Alex
I agree. Yank as many umpires from this character as you could AND follow Darrell's advice to report this person to at least the next level up.
Old Mon Aug 06, 2007, 06:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Moral of story. Players play to play, players play to pay you, you are nothing more than a servant in this environment. Bow your had and say "Yassir" or don't do these games.
Bull****. ........
Old Mon Aug 06, 2007, 06:58am
Official Forum Member

Should have signed the other team's book and walked away from the field ignoring the TD.

The TD has no more right on the field than the ejected player.
Old Mon Aug 06, 2007, 07:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkbjones
"Whaaaaaaat," says I.
I pictured Borat when I read this part...

Anyway, sounds like Mr. 1B and Mr. TD share a lot more in common than just softball. I won't say exactly what that is, as this is still a PG-13 board.

Definitely report up the chain, if possible, and let other umps in the area know just where this TD's priorities lie.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Mon Aug 06, 2007, 09:04am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=bkbjones].

SP Coed VERY Rec tournament. ASA rules. QUOTE]

WOW!!

Don't know if there was anyone on "up the chain", but this is a CLEAR violation of rule 10-2. You had a valid protest! (would probably be a first---Umpire filing a protest!) I imagine though the TD would have been the "protest commitee" but if this was a REC tournie, then he surely has a superior. I would at least make my point known.

Perhaps a small claims suit for breach of contract? A lot of trouble I know, but it would also be trouble for the TD, and rec dep't, and you DO have the rules on your side.

As Mr. Darling told Andy (Griffith) about Ernest T. Bass once, " We thought about killin' him, just hated to go that far!" Not advocating here, but it is a thought!

I have actually been around a similar situation where a TD forced a umpire to allow re-entry to an ejected coach during the same game. The Umpire chose to not "rock the boat" as he put it later. The next tournie we called for this TD all the umpires agreed that if that was to happen again, we would all show our support, and walk! I can say I would, and am sure others would, but I doubt all would.

fitump56 may be correct about the dream world, and the "pay to play" thing, but I ain't gonna bow my head and say "Yassir". I'll take the second option, and call the Darling's!
Old Mon Aug 06, 2007, 09:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
Bull****. ........
oh the baseball troll has migrated over to the softball side--don't worry youll' soon learn to put (Sm)fitty56 on your ignore list just like we have....you sent jimpiano over to us so weare just returning the favor!
Old Mon Aug 06, 2007, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmpLarryJohnson
oh the baseball troll has migrated over to the softball side--don't worry youll' soon learn to put (Sm)fitty56 on your ignore list just like we have....you sent jimpiano over to us so weare just returning the favor!
Trust me, if we were to send him anywhere, it probably wouldn't be anywhere earthly let alone on this board, though I've heard rumors.....
Old Mon Aug 06, 2007, 11:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
At least I will never have to worry about running into you at a rib joint.
Old Mon Aug 06, 2007, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

In our area, we don't work for TD's; we work for UIC's. Some times that is me; it often is others. Regardless, no TD in this area would be allowed to do what you state. He might approach the UIC to see if the UIC will address the umpire; but, you all understand that would have to be an exceptional circumstance where the umpire is so wrong, out of control, or possibly in some violation and breach of our ethics.

So, in our area, if this happened, you go to the UIC. Pretty sure he is pulling all the umpires off all the fields; right now!! I know I am, if this is my tournament. As Mike said, the TD has no authority on the ball field. Period. And, the umpires work for me; not for the TD. Period.