The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun May 23, 2010, 06:27pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to CLH Send a message via Yahoo to CLH
Sure looks like a block to me....just sayin...
Old Sun May 23, 2010, 06:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Watch the third clip from the top and explain to me how this is a blocking foul, even by NBE standards.

Video Rule Book - Home

"To get into a legal position, the defender needs to establish himself in the path of the offensive player before contact is made and before he starts his upward shooting motion"

Sure looks like he meet those two requirements to me, yet the official position of the league office is that this is a blocking foul.

This is definitely a block. He attempts to get in the path but fails to due to the off. player changing his path.

Every level has different criteria and within the NBA criteria this is a block!
Old Sun May 23, 2010, 08:30pm
Official Forum Member

Please stop the NBA Hate

Quote:
Originally Posted by btaylor64 View Post
This is definitely a block. He attempts to get in the path but fails to due to the off. player changing his path.

Every level has different criteria and within the NBA criteria this is a block!
IMO this is a block in EVERY level of basketball. Whatever criteria you want to use or no matter how you want to term it, the defender is not legal. He did not get to the spot and is leaning into the offensive players path to create the contact.

And I dont post here too often but I lurk from time to time. I don't get the constant bashing of the NBA and its officials. Yes, officiating in the NBA is DIFFERENT than men's college, or women's, or high school. But different doesn't necessarily make it better or worse. Officiating is somewhat different at all levels.

The constant bashing of the NBA and its officials, referring to it as the NBE, is really old and kinda pathetic for people who are basketball officials. IMO, you are no better than the idiots in the crowd at a high school or AAU game yelling at the officials when they really don't have a clue as to what they are talking about. We all know that officiating is a thankless job and we all know how difficult it can be. Imagine calling games with the size and athleticism of NBA players. It's easy to sit on the sideline or your couch and criticize.

I would expect more from people who actually call games and call themselves basketball officials.
Old Sun May 23, 2010, 08:53pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaTerp View Post
I would expect more from people who actually call games and call themselves basketball officials.
Even though I disagree with your opinion, I respect your right to have that opinion. And that's true even though you obviously don't have the same respect for anybody else to be able to form their own opinion also. It's not up to you...or me...to tell anybody what they can or can't post on this forum.

Think about it.....
Old Sun May 23, 2010, 08:59pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I have to agree with those who say block on this. Defender looks like he might be bracing for contact, but he creates contact by dropping his shoulder out of his vertical space IMO.
Old Sun May 23, 2010, 09:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
Even though I disagree with your opinion, I respect your right to have that opinion. And that's true even though you obviously don't have the same respect for anybody else to be able to form their own opinion also. It's not up to you...or me...to tell anybody what they can or can't post on this forum.

Think about it.....
Ummm... where do I indicate that I have a lack of respect for others to voice their opinions or that they "can or can't" post anything?

In my post I twice stated "IMO" and said that I would expect more from fellow officials. Nowhere did I say what people can or cant post.
Old Sun May 23, 2010, 09:22pm
Official Forum Member

If we are taking votes...

I vote for block.

Looking at the angle from the baseline I would have called it a block. This would be a block for me in a NFHS game or a game using NBA rules.
Old Sun May 23, 2010, 09:29pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin green View Post
..... NBA rules.
I think the term "NBA rules" is an oxymoron, like "congressional ethics".
Old Sun May 23, 2010, 10:00pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaTerp View Post
Ummm... where do I indicate that I have a lack of respect for others to voice their opinions or that they "can or can't" post anything?

In my post I twice stated "IMO" and said that I would expect more from fellow officials. Nowhere did I say what people can or cant post.
And if you'd take a second to actually try and comprehend whatinthehell you're reading, you might also discover that we're not really blaming the officials. As Nevada posted originally in this thread, the problem lies with the direction that the NBE officials are being given. It's a league problem. The usage of NBE to show National Basketball Entertainment is an indictment of the league, not it's officials per se. NBE officials are the most over-regimented and over-supervised of any officials' group in the world imo. And whomever(whoever?) is directing/supervising 'em is doing one piss-poor job.

Someone is telling the NBE officials that it's OK for BronBron to take 4 steps on a breakaway dunk or Shaq to have a hall-of-fame career by running over people in the paint.

Again, for the umpteenth time..if you check old posts...the problem with current NBE officiating is the clowns who are formulating it's current policies and directing/supervising it's officiating staff to ignore it's own rule book. Imo if they'd just let their people officiate the damn games, there'd be a helluva lot less complaining from everybody.
Old Sun May 23, 2010, 10:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
And if you'd take a second to actually try and comprehend whatinthehell you're reading, you might also discover that we're not really blaming the officials. As Nevada posted originally in this thread, the problem lies with the direction that the NBE officials are being given. It's a league problem. The usage of NBE to show National Basketball Entertainment is an indictment of the league, not it's officials per se. NBE officials are the most over-regimented and over-supervised of any officials' group in the world imo. And whomever(whoever?) is directing/supervising 'em is doing one piss-poor job.

Someone is telling the NBE officials that it's OK for BronBron to take 4 steps on a breakaway dunk or Shaq to have a hall-of-fame career by running over people in the paint.

Again, for the umpteenth time..if you check old posts...the problem with current NBE officiating is the clowns who are formulating it's current policies and directing/supervising it's officiating staff to ignore it's own rule book. Imo if they'd just let their people officiate the damn games, there'd be a helluva lot less complaining from everybody.
Comprehend what Ive read? I stated (if YOU would comprehend what you read) that I dont post here too much but do lurk from time to time. So sorry, I havent read every word of every thread of NBA critiques.

Based on what I've seen here I think the criticism of NBA officiating (be it the officials themselves or the direction they are receiving) is overstated. And calling it NBE is childish, IMO.

You are entitled to your opinion and I am entitled to mine. I'll agree to disagree and leave it that. Have a great one.
Old Sun May 23, 2010, 10:26pm
Official Forum Member

I've got a charge on this. The defender gets both feet on the floor in the path of the offensive player. Sure, he leaned a little. But he certainly did not create the contact, the offensive player barreled right through him.
Old Sun May 23, 2010, 10:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle View Post
I've got a charge on this. The defender gets both feet on the floor in the path of the offensive player. Sure, he leaned a little. But he certainly did not create the contact, the offensive player barreled right through him.
That's the same way that I see this play, but I guess that we have the minority opinion.
Old Mon May 24, 2010, 01:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle View Post
No matter how you cut it, there was never more than 50% overlap of the torsos and the defender leaned to get as much as he did. Until just before the contact, you could see the offensive players numbers clearly and unobstructed. And with the offensive player's path carrying him to the inside relative to the camera angle, the actual amount of overlap was even less than it may have appeared from that camera angle. A player still moving in at the time of contact and getting, at best, 50% overlap is not in the path.
Old Mon May 24, 2010, 03:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
No matter how you cut it, there was never more than 50% overlap of the torsos and the defender leaned to get as much as he did. Until just before the contact, you could see the offensive players numbers clearly and unobstructed. And with the offensive player's path carrying him to the inside relative to the camera angle, the actual amount of overlap was even less than it may have appeared from that camera angle. A player still moving in at the time of contact and getting, at best, 50% overlap is not in the path.
Why isn't the defender allowed to still be moving at the time of contact in this situation? There doesn't appear to be any upward movement by the offensive player prior to the contact. Isn't the defender allowed to be moving, even by NBE standards, in the case of guarding an opponent moving on the floor?

How much in the path of the opponent must he be? 100%, 90%, 80%, etc. If some of his body is in the path of the opponent, isn't he in his opponent's path?

I've noticed from the videos on the website in which contact occurs on the side of the dribbler or the defender that these are labeled as blocking fouls.
However, no where in the text of the rules does it state this principle or articulate that the contact must be in the front of the torso for a charging foul. Perhaps that is the way that it is being taught at that level, but if so, the teaching doesn't match the text of the rules.
Old Mon May 24, 2010, 07:02am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to CLH Send a message via Yahoo to CLH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
However, no where in the text of the rules does it state this principle or articulate that the contact must be in the front of the torso for a charging foul. Perhaps that is the way that it is being taught at that level, but if so, the teaching doesn't match the text of the rules.
From a previous Nevada post...."I'm no NBA rules expert..."

Yet now you know what matches and doesn't match the text of NBA rules. Make up your mind, either you know the rules and the league officials aren't matching it, or perhaps you don't know the NBA rules and guidelines. Therefore you are no different than the millions of fans who THINK they know what is right and wrong in an NBA game and therefore decide it best to run down the league and its officials. I would expect this to be a no brainer, but if you are in the vast minority of an opinion, chances are pretty good that you're incorrect...just something I learned growing up on the farm FWIW.