The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 15, 2005, 10:17pm
Official Forum Member

I teach hoops past to local players. I use parts of history to motivate the player to practice. I make a point to respect the official. Has respect been an issue for any official within the game? Should it be a top priority to teach? My web site is HoopsPast.com
Old Tue Mar 15, 2005, 10:40pm
M.A.S.H.

I think sportsmanship should be a top priority. With sportsmanship I think comes the respect for the officials.
Old Tue Mar 15, 2005, 11:23pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

In my little sportsmanship speech, I make one thing clear. Often times, it's the only part of my captains' meeting.

"Sportsmanship is a big deal to me. Treat everyone on the court with respect, and we'll all get along just fine." The players need to respect their coaches, each other, their opponents, the officials, and the fans. Too often, they respect no one because their role models respect no one.
Old Tue Mar 15, 2005, 11:56pm
Official Forum Member

My Captain's meeting during the playoff includes the following line (paraphrased)

I understand its the playoffs and things will be intense. This does not give you any reason to 1) yell at us 2) yell at the scorekeeper 3) yell at each other.

Old Wed Mar 16, 2005, 01:18am
Official Forum Member

I liked your website

It's great that you teach the history of hoops.

I grew up within 2 miles of the original Converse factory.
I played sparingly at Malden HS and New Prep and ULowell.
I got to see Russell, Heinsohn, Cousy, Sharman, Havlicek,KC Jones, Frank Ramsey, Jo Jo White, Dave Cowens, etc in person.
I've played pickup with Dr J in 1968 and worked with Magic Johnson for 15 years at his summer camps.
I've officiated since 1973.
I've met and associated with some greats like Bill Walton, Dr Ernie Vandweghe, Lorenzo Romar, Swen Nater, Kareem, and worked an all star game with Cedrick Ceballos and Jason Kidd.
I own an officiating service in San Diego.

Basketball has been very very good to me.

Your website must be an inspiration to many young people.
Keep up the good work.
Old Wed Mar 16, 2005, 03:28am
Official Forum Member

I like your site as well...some great memories there, especially the one about Dr. J and the dunk contest. And I love your sportsmanship code.

Just one thing...the line on the Dr. Naismith page should read "Welcome to Basketball. A Great American Sport...Invented by a Canadian !!"

Keep up the great work on that site...maybe a page about some of the great officials, too?

Old Wed Mar 16, 2005, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to drothamel
Ernest,

Liked the site. I think what you are doing is a great idea. To echo everyone elses sentiments, sportsmanship and respect should be paramount. I always try to address it with players in the pregame. My pregame is simple and is as follows:

"Gentlemen (or Ladies) we are only going to ask a few simple things of you. We ask that at all times you RESPECT EACHOTHER, RESPECT THE OFFICIALS, AND MOST IMPORTANTLY, RESPECT THE GAME. Play hard, have fun."

I think that a great way of learing respect is teaching players about the history of the game. It helps them feel connected to something bigger than themselves. Keep up the good work.

Old Wed Mar 16, 2005, 12:25pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

That website is very nice. Growin' up in Indiana, we got a trmendous amount of history lessons(such as what is covered on your website)and it brought me back a little bit.

My main opinion on the respect level is that we should let them know that regardless of the emotion and the heat of the battle, the game itself is bigger than all of us and the reason for our existence in that environment.
This does get difficult sometimes when parents, coaches, etc. don't share this same idea, but if WE have respect for all entities, hoefully some of that will rub off.

Keep up the good work.

AAR