The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 22, 2008, 05:25pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question Question for Little League officials from a basketball ref

Jumped over from the basketball board to ask you guys this. My grandson is the captain of his Little League team. He's 13 and in 8th grade. Another kid on the team who is 14 and in the same grade just got arrested by his town's local police for possession of pot - no, I'm not kidding. My grandson called me to discuss it and he wondered if there were any Little League rules (it's "official" Little League) that would make it mandatory for this kid to be kicked off their team. He thinks the kid should, but his coach doesn't. I told him I thought it probably was a good thing for the kid to stay on the team and perhaps it might help to straighten him out. Anybody care to chime in? Thanks.
Old Thu May 22, 2008, 05:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
Jumped over from the basketball board to ask you guys this. My grandson is the captain of his Little League team. He's 13 and in 8th grade. Another kid on the team who is 14 and in the same grade just got arrested by his town's local police for possession of pot - no, I'm not kidding. My grandson called me to discuss it and he wondered if there were any Little League rules (it's "official" Little League) that would make it mandatory for this kid to be kicked off their team. He thinks the kid should, but his coach doesn't. I told him I thought it probably was a good thing for the kid to stay on the team and perhaps it might help to straighten him out. Anybody care to chime in? Thanks.
STAY AS FAR AWAY FROM THIS AS POSSIBLE! Advise your grandson to say absolutely NOTHING about this!

This is a legal issues involving a minor. Getting in the middle of this will result in nothing but grief, pain and legal liability.

If the player in question violates Little League rules (IE: not showing up for practice &/or games) then the manager may go to the league BOD and ask for his suspension or release.
Old Thu May 22, 2008, 09:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Nothing mandatory. The BoD can terminate him by a 2/3 or better vote following a hearing - parents present.
Old Thu May 22, 2008, 09:39pm
Official Forum Member

Try asking a parenting message board, or possibly a Little League message board.
Old Fri May 23, 2008, 06:02am
In Memoriam

Quote:
My grandson is the captain of his Little League team.
I have never heard of a Little League 'captain'.
What is that and what is the purpose?
Old Fri May 23, 2008, 08:03am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by mick
I have never heard of a Little League 'captain'.
What is that and what is the purpose?
Sounds like the little league capn's role is to keep his team drug free. Or at least pot free.

btw Mark I agree 127% with socalblue: you & cappy should stay as far away as humanly possible from this. No good will come of his crusade, let the system & his family handle it.
Old Fri May 23, 2008, 08:19am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Rcichon
Ll

Quote:
....clipped.... Anybody care to chime in? Thanks.
It's asking for trouble. Advise your grandson captain to focus on the Team and not this one person. He has more problems other than his spot on the Team to worry about.

LL should be a stable influence in his life.
Old Fri May 23, 2008, 10:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
There is no Little League rule making it mandatory to kick him off the team. That is a local matter.

Ask Little League questions at

http://www.eteamz.com/baseball/board...les/index.cfm?

They are more Little League friendly there. And more Little League knowledgable.

Rita
Old Sat May 24, 2008, 08:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita C
They are more Little League friendly there. And more Little League knowledgeable.
Agreed, and the one is connected to the other.