The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 29, 2010, 04:18pm
Official Forum Member

So much for teaching some old dogs a new trick.
Old Mon Mar 29, 2010, 04:27pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLH17 View Post
So much for teaching some old dogs a new trick.
I prefer using context for sarcasm, but failing that I will use the occasional smiley. Blue text? Pain in the a$$.
Old Mon Mar 29, 2010, 04:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
I prefer using context for sarcasm, but failing that I will use the occasional smiley. Blue text? Pain in the a$$.
It's all good.
Old Mon Mar 29, 2010, 04:51pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

What's blue text?
Old Mon Mar 29, 2010, 04:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
What's blue text?
Hint: I'm sick and tired of your sophomoric, sexist posts.
Old Mon Mar 29, 2010, 05:16pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Wait, first you say blue font is for sarcasm, now you're saying it's for saying what Snaqwells is thinking? I'm confused.
Old Mon Mar 29, 2010, 06:43pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
My posts are not sophomoric. They are at least 11th grade level. As to being sexist, that's something of which I'm proud. BTW - purple text means I'm cool.
Old Mon Mar 29, 2010, 07:37pm
Esteemed Forum Member

From Wikipedia ...

Over the years, cornrows (along with dreadlocks) have been the subject of several disputes in the American workplace. Some employers have deemed them unsuitable for the office and have banned them - especially conducting at-will firings and/or termination. African American employees and civil rights groups have countered that such attitudes evidence racial and cultural bias. Some such disputes have resulted in litigation.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Mar 29, 2010, 11:58pm
Official Forum Member

We have white guys that ***** and moan about grooming standards. Some want to wear their hair longer and have beards. It isn't a racial thing -- I wish I had enough hair for cornrows. I'd have to think about whether I would wear them if I could.

Anyway, a lack of conservative grooming (and I'm being broad here) will only hurt you. John Malloy wrote a book on Dress for Success in the '70s, with updates later. He painstakingly took surveys from individuals shown pictures of men dressed differently -- different color over coats, different color suits, etc. He didn't ask "which one looks better." He asked questions like, "which one makes more money," or "which one would you respect more as a boss," or "which one would you buy (x) from?" He laid out clearly what type of people (mostly by income) like what type of clothing. When you watch a Presidential debate, the candidates will ALWAYS be wearing a dark navy suit (and white shirt). There's a reason for that. As a trial attorney, I wear dark gray suits (I don't like navy and have never owned one) and a white shirt to every trial. I don't wear anything but a white shirt with a suit, though I'll wear something else with a sport coat -- almost always without a tie.

You can't change your race, gender, height, hair color (for the most part), etc., but you can change your grooming appearance, weight, etc. Your navy blue suit for officiating may be a little different than mine (depending on location), but its pretty similar: conservative grooming, no facial hair, short hair, and no pop culture icon styles -- regardless of which popular culture you follow.
Old Tue Mar 30, 2010, 09:32am
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie View Post
We have white guys that ***** and moan about grooming standards. Some want to wear their hair longer and have beards. It isn't a racial thing -- I wish I had enough hair for cornrows. I'd have to think about whether I would wear them if I could.
I notice how you state all of this as a matter of fact. You don't know if it is a racial thing, none of us really do unless we hear it from the person who said it - even then the person could lie.

You cannot know what any of this is like from the perspective of the OP. It would be nice if people would have empathy or say nothing at all. Years ago when my mother passed, if someone who had not experienced a similar loss would have came up to me and told me how I should feel they would either limp away or be carried away.
Old Tue Mar 30, 2010, 09:48am
Keeper of the HAMMER

This is one of those areas of life where I've had to learn my analytical brain is simply incapable of grasping it. I can rationalize anything, explain anything, and understand most anything at least at a basic level. I just don't get racism, nor do I have an easy time seeing it when it's there.

I spent last week TDY with a white colleague married to a black man, and I have to admit I was surprised to hear her say they still get sideways looks. Surprised because I just don't think that way. I shouldn't have been, though, because I know that while I'm not alone in the way I was raised (a mixed marriage to my father would have been marrying a Republican), those with "other" views are still there. I also realize that my own double takes (out of pure surprise) could easily be misunderstood.
Old Tue Mar 30, 2010, 09:55am
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
This is one of those areas of life where I've had to learn my analytical brain is simply incapable of grasping it. I can rationalize anything, explain anything, and understand most anything at least at a basic level. I just don't get racism, nor do I have an easy time seeing it when it's there.

I spent last week TDY with a white colleague married to a black man, and I have to admit I was surprised to hear her say they still get sideways looks. Surprised because I just don't think that way. I shouldn't have been, though, because I know that while I'm not alone in the way I was raised (a mixed marriage to my father would have been marrying a Republican), those with "other" views are still there. I also realize that my own double takes (out of pure surprise) could easily be misunderstood.
Snaqs, if I remember right you are one of the fortunate military men to be called an Airmen correct? You see things differently because of who you work side by side with although I will say it (racism) still exists in the military.
Old Tue Mar 30, 2010, 10:07am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun View Post
Snaqs, if I remember right you are one of the fortunate military men to be called an Airmen correct? You see things differently because of who you work side by side with although I will say it (racism) still exists in the military.
You are correct, and my particular AFSC seems to include a greater mix than most. I will also agree that it's still there. I recall some extremely bigoted NCOs when I was younger; the type you'd really only see expressing their prejudices in private at a small Guard unit in the midwest (or so I thought at the time). Such expressions are now unheard of. Whether that's because the views are less prevalent or just less acceptable, it's a good thing.

Unfortunately, racism will need to die off since most racists aren't going to be convinced they're idiots.
Old Tue Mar 30, 2010, 10:17am
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
You are correct, and my particular AFSC seems to include a greater mix than most. I will also agree that it's still there. I recall some extremely bigoted NCOs when I was younger; the type you'd really only see expressing their prejudices in private at a small Guard unit in the midwest (or so I thought at the time). Such expressions are now unheard of. Whether that's because the views are less prevalent or just less acceptable, it's a good thing.

Unfortunately, racism will need to die off since most racists aren't going to be convinced they're idiots.
I know what you mean. I ended my career as a MTL at Keesler. It was nice to be around so many young people from so many different areas around the country.

At first I was accused of favoring the black Airmen, then I was accused of favoring the white Airmen and then they finally realized I was equal opportunity when it came to discipline/punishment. That was my favorite job and the most hours I ever worked.
Old Tue Mar 30, 2010, 10:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun View Post
I know what you mean. I ended my career as a MTL at Keesler. It was nice to be around so many young people from so many different areas around the country.

At first I was accused of favoring the black Airmen, then I was accused of favoring the white Airmen and then they finally realized I was equal opportunity when it came to discipline/punishment. That was my favorite job and the most hours I ever worked.
No wonder you're so good at whippin' my butt on this forum. I don't have a chance in heck against you military boys. Try to go a little easier on this lowly civilian.