View Single Post
Old Mon Mar 29, 2010, 10:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun View Post
I'm not African American, but I am black (don't get me started on that) and I have experienced what the OP is talking about. On the west coast, I was criticized for being a "bald angry black man." I moved to the east coast and nobody said a word about it. I moved back to the west coast and haven't heard it at all. I don't know if I'm slowly shedding my military bearing or it just doesn't matter anymore.

After 20 years in the military, where a fade (tapered) haircut was once considered faddish for black guys, I can tell you that you are going to have problems with the corn rows. You will be viewed in the same light as a rapper/actor/athlete/thug/gangster. I hate to say this and I hate this saying, but it is what it is.
Ha, I know plenty of bald, angry, white guys.

You're right about the perception of course and the only way IMHO to overcome that is to be 110% professional. Make the crowd/person admit to themselves that they prejudged you and they were wrong.

It has to be tough. The white official is 'quiet' and the black one is labeled 'angry or surly'.

We have a black ref in our area, a new young guy, with dreads. I know it's going to be tough for him to move up.

It's hard fighting first impressions.

That said, the assigner who took those games back is gutless.

Last edited by fullor30; Mon Mar 29, 2010 at 10:13am.