The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 19, 2004, 07:36pm
Official Forum Member

OK, over on the "General" board, there is a WCB/Rut pi$$ing contest that appears to have started over the question of upper-level officials being "allowed" to wear beards and mustaches. I am posting a topic here to ask a question, and because some of the folks I'd like to hear from have indicated that they avoid the WCB/Rut festivities due to lack of entertainment or educational value.

Here goes:

I have been "reliably" informed that College-level umpires in my part of the country [Virginia/ DC area] are not allowed [by the assignors] to wear beards. I also recall reading something from the NCAA a while ago to the same effect. The WCB/Rut exchange seems to indicate that this is not so nationwide. Thus my question(s):

[for HHH & others in my general area]: is there an accepted/ acknowledged policy on this subject for our area; and if so, what is it?

[for all]: What if any policy exists on the college level in your area?

As y'all might guess, I have an interest in the matter as a bearded [HS/ Legion/ youth] umpire.

Thanks,
--CARTER
Old Sat Nov 20, 2004, 09:50am
Do not give a damn!!

For the record, my comment was not about baseball. What is allowed in baseball is not the same as what is allowed in basketball or football. For example it is not allowed for the officials in those two sports to wear one kind of uniform and your partners to wear another. In baseball, one guy can wear a jacket and another guy might not wear one. So the expectations are different. I know I have seen guys at the NCAA level wear facial hair in baseball much more than the sports I was referring to. As a matter of fact I know a couple of D1 umpires that have a mustache. It might be a conference or assignor thing more than what the NCAA mandates. I do not know of any other sport that mandates the wearing of facial hair or not. It is the assignors and the culture of that sport that dictates that behavior.

Peace
Old Sat Nov 20, 2004, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

OK,

First an exact answer:

I have worked college baseball in five states, in seven groups ranging from NAIA to D1. NONE of those conferences or assigning groups allow beards. Neatly trimmed mustache yes, beards no.

HOWEVER,

Garth B, who posts here regularly, has a beard (I remember a rat comment to him once, "eat a $hit sandwhich Santa Claus")and works pretty high college ball in his area.

Tee
Old Sat Nov 20, 2004, 02:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
For example it is not allowed for the officials in those two sports to wear one kind of uniform and your partners to wear another. In baseball, one guy can wear a jacket and another guy might not wear one. So the expectations are different. I know I have seen guys at the NCAA level wear facial hair in baseball much more than the sports I was referring to. As a matter of fact I know a couple of D1 umpires that have a mustache. It might be a conference or assignor thing more than what the NCAA mandates. I do not know of any other sport that mandates the wearing of facial hair or not. It is the assignors and the culture of that sport that dictates that behavior.

Peace
I agree about the beard stuff, its pretty silly I think. This brings to something I was wondering, what is the uniform policies for crews workin in a 2, 3, & 4 man system. (aka jackets, and the members all matching. I have heard a lot of different things, was wondering what the true policy or feeling is) Thanks
Old Sat Nov 20, 2004, 08:51pm
Veteran College Umpire

I shave my beard the day before my first game, and grow it back the day after my last one each season for several reasons. It makes it harder for the irate coaches to recognize me in the off-season. Any my wife doesn't suffer razor burns. Being better looking either way has nothing to do with it.
Old Sat Nov 20, 2004, 09:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mrm21711
This brings to something I was wondering, what is the uniform policies for crews workin in a 2, 3, & 4 man system. (aka jackets, and the members all matching. I have heard a lot of different things, was wondering what the true policy or feeling is) Thanks
Just like with beards, the "true policy" is whatever your assigner says it is.

Old Sat Nov 20, 2004, 11:39pm
Official Forum Member

Because I have heard with 4 & 6 man crews, the plate wears whatever he wants and the other three or five must match. There is no understood "rule" in regards to this, or to a 2-man or 3-man crew? Just curious...thanks
Old Sun Nov 21, 2004, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

I work in four different D-I conferences and never had anyone discuss facial hair not being allowed. With that said, I don't think I have umpired with anyone who had a beard.

As for umpires dress, we have a specific base jacket that is required and all base umpires in 2,3 & 4 man games must match. The plate guy can wear either a plate coat, base jacket (same style), long or short sleeve shirt.
Old Sun Nov 21, 2004, 07:50pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to jumpmaster Send a message via MSN to jumpmaster Send a message via Yahoo to jumpmaster
beards and uniforms

"If you have facial hair you will not officiate playoffs in the state of Arkansas." - Aug 04, Exec Director AR Officials Association State Meeting

That said, I know of a number one referee specifically that refereed a football playoff game this year and is widely regarded as one of the top 10% crews in the state.

Baseball - for HS, Legion - you can have facial hair, but failing to remove it will probably have a negative impact on your assignments.

Uniforms - when cold, stay warm. Uniforms will match. However, coat vs no coat match is not required, nor is matching color/style required. When working 3 man crew, all BU must match uniforms. Different jackets are allowed between BU.

Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here - CPT John Parker, April 19, 1775, Lexington, Mass
Old Sun Nov 21, 2004, 08:50pm
Official Forum Member

Having a beard or a moustache does not seem to me like it should be a problem. If a guy makes good calls, knows how to manage a game and has a consistent strike zone who the heck cares if he has facial hair??

Sounds like grounds for a discrimination lawsuit to me if a certain umpire could prove he was singled out and discriminated against just because he had facial hair. Is there any particular reason for this decision? Thanks.

"I've never questioned the integrity of an umpire. Their eyesight, yes"---Leo Durocher
Old Mon Nov 22, 2004, 11:18am

Counselor,
I posted that thread over on the General Board because it seemed so absurd, I didn't know how many people would respond. I have worked with umpires across the country and have encountered every shape, size, color and folicle coverage. Some of the best in D-1 sport goatees and moustaches, but I've encountered only a handful with full beards. I've seen dozens at the high schol level, where conformity and appearance often takes a back seat to availability.

The point I tried to make was that there are many officials across the country that have facial hair. Although many assignors construe this as inappropriate or unprofessional, we often comply just because we want the games. I have seen officials work professional games in blue jeans, college guys in warm up and high school umpires in red dazzle cloth shirts. All of them looked silly, but they got the job done. I could care less if my partner looks like Grizzly Adams or Pee Wee Herman. I have a feeling that most of the coaches we encounter feel the same way.

I took issue with the assertion that only black people sport facial hair in the upper officiating circles. We know that is not true.
Old Mon Nov 22, 2004, 10:21pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks, Peter, and to all who responded substantively.

You confirmed what I believed the situation to be.

As much as I'd like it to be different, I long ago accepted that being "follically enhanced" does not make me part of a protected class, so "discrimination" is not a cry which will get me anywhere, even if I was disposed to bleat it.

Anyway, it's not like my face-fur is all that is keeping me from doing College ball. Time committment/ availability, willingness to travel, and a disinclination to kiss up to the necessary parties are at least as big a factor; and that doesn't even consider the question of whether I am actually good enough to work higher levels than I do already. In fact, a couple college umps in my local Assn. periodically get on me to lose the beard [for HS/Legion]: I tell 'em that the day I am told that the beard is ONLY thing between me and a college schedule is the day I shave it off.

Windy: thanks for your response in this thread. As usual when you are not being obsessed with Rut, your input was substantive and reasonable.

--Carter
Old Mon Nov 22, 2004, 10:47pm
Official Forum Member

Shaving off your beard because you are told to and not because you want to could be considered "kissing up". Everyone has to define what priorities they have.
Old Wed Nov 24, 2004, 10:36am
Official Forum Member

Re: OK,

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim C
First an exact answer:

I have worked college baseball in five states, in seven groups ranging from NAIA to D1. NONE of those conferences or assigning groups allow beards. Neatly trimmed mustache yes, beards no.

Tee
Same in our area. This also applies to our HS association.

Thanks
David
Old Wed Nov 24, 2004, 12:25pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by DG
Shaving off your beard because you are told to and not because you want to could be considered "kissing up". Everyone has to define what priorities they have.
So if someone told you to loss 10-15 pounds, would that be kissing up if you did it?

If an assignor tells you to do something in order to work for them, you do it if you want to work that conference, level or whatever game they might have for you. I know if I want a job and they say to do something in order for me to get hired, I will do that if I want that job bad enough.

Peace
Closed Thread