The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jul 26, 2002, 08:35am
Official Forum Member

Heres a question.....I was told recently it would help me to lose the moustache before the upcoming season. The reason was that coaches dont like facial hair on white guys. Black guys they dont mind but white guys they do.

This is not a racial question but I am just wondering if anyone had any comments on this subject. Anyone else out there have an assignor talk about this and perhaps elaborate?

Now, in the end, its what a 3 month season? I think I can handle no stache for 3 months.

Larks - (I was also told to drop 25...a lil tougher than shaving! Damn beer and wings are doing me in)
Old Fri Jul 26, 2002, 08:43am
Official Forum Member

Talking

I don't know about mustache, but I told a referee to lose the spike heels once - he was scuffing up the floor.

- Catherine Aird
Old Fri Jul 26, 2002, 08:44am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Larks
... The reason was that coaches dont like facial hair on white guys. Black guys they dont mind but white guys they do.
I know you're just the messenger but this might be the dumbest thing I've heard in a while. But I'll admit that the "no 'stache or beard" thing is something I've heard...urban myth? legend? unwritten code? who knows but I know a couple of succesful refs who wear a mustache. If an assignor tells you he would hire you if you took off the mustache then do it...otherwise don't bother.

Quote:

Larks - (I was also told to drop 25...a lil tougher than shaving! Damn beer and wings are doing me in)
Drop the 25 lbs, keep the mustache, let us know how it goes!

Old Fri Jul 26, 2002, 08:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by theboys
I don't know about mustache, but I told a referee to lose the spike heels once - he was scuffing up the floor.
LOL! So would he be the good example or the horrible warning?
Old Fri Jul 26, 2002, 08:53am
Official Forum Member

At a "success" seminar I once attended, we were told, "No one ever looked at a man and said, 'He would sure look better with a beard/mustache.' But they will sometimes look at a man and say, 'He would sure look better if he lost the beard/mustache.'"

How many people are turned off by beards/mustaches? I don't know, but I really don't think there are that many. Of course, I wore a beard and mustache for close to ten years, and I took it off when I started doing some public speaking. I want to look as good as possible to as many people as possible. I decided the beard wasn't worth the potential liability.

As for the 25 pounds...how big is your stache? Maybe you could kill two birds with one stone--or razor!
Old Fri Jul 26, 2002, 09:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bard
At a "success" seminar I once attended, we were told, "No one ever looked at a man and said, 'He would sure look better with a beard/mustache.' But they will sometimes look at a man and say, 'He would sure look better if he lost the beard/mustache.'"

How many people are turned off by beards/mustaches? I don't know, but I really don't think there are that many. Of course, I wore a beard and mustache for close to ten years, and I took it off when I started doing some public speaking. I want to look as good as possible to as many people as possible. I decided the beard wasn't worth the potential liability.

As for the 25 pounds...how big is your stache? Maybe you could kill two birds with one stone--or razor!
Well, unfortunately the stache wont give me much of a headstart on the 25. Maybe switching to small beers rather than tubs. I hear there are less calories in a small!
Old Fri Jul 26, 2002, 09:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Heres a question.....I was told recently it would help me to lose the moustache before the upcoming season. The reason was that coaches dont like facial hair on white guys. Black guys they dont mind but white guys they do.

This is not a racial question but I am just wondering if anyone had any comments on this subject. Anyone else out there have an assignor talk about this and perhaps elaborate?

Now, in the end, its what a 3 month season? I think I can handle no stache for 3 months.

I believe the reason may be psychological. I've read and been told to loose any facial hair before going in for a job interview. The reason: Other people have a difficult time trusting a person with facial hair. I don't recall where I heard or read this, but people with facial hair are percieved to be hiding something. (more than just their face or upper lip)

If officiating, I think it is importan to begin with as much trust as possible. Appearance is just part of that package.
Old Fri Jul 26, 2002, 11:03am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Heres a question.....I was told recently it would help me to lose the moustache before the upcoming season.

If you were told to lose the stache,best you lose it.When you are no longer a "Veteran in Training",but accepted as a good,experienced official,it will probably become a non-issue at the HS level for you.College ideas may change by then,too.JMO!
Btw,it is a proven nutrional fact that wings 'n brownpop are good for you.Stay away from vegetables and milk.
Old Fri Jul 26, 2002, 11:54am
Do not give a damn!!

Goatee.

I have had a goatee my entire career. I have never been told to remove it. I have never been told that I should get rid of it if I move up. The only indication that I see of getting rid of it, is when I get to the D1 level. All the African-American Officials I see at that level only have a mustache. I have never seen a goatee. So if I want to go to that level eventually or go to those camps, I might have to get rid of it. But I have never had a lower level college or my HS assignors ever tell me to remove it.

I think it is cultural that more African-Americans or people of color have facial hair. It is hard not to find a Black male that does not have at least a mustache. Of course there are many that do not have anything on their face, but much of my generation does.

Interesting question.
Old Fri Jul 26, 2002, 12:21pm
Official Forum Member

In our association there has not been any directive for us to be clean shaven. Some of the officials in our assoc. have facial hair, most don't. I have heard that if you want to move above the HS level then it is best to go with the clean shaven look. Which makes sense, because you really don't see many of the TV guys with a beard.

That said, I went clean the first year and have worn a goat for the past two years (very short-two to three days growth). I would like to think that the coaches don't argue many calls with me any more because I have become a better official. But then again, the goat makes me look like I'm already angry about something and not going to take much crap. The stink eye has a lot more of an effect.

I try to smile a lot.
Old Fri Jul 26, 2002, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Goatee.

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge

I think it is cultural that more African-Americans or people of color have facial hair. It is hard not to find a Black male that does not have at least a mustache. Of course there are many that do not have anything on their face, but much of my generation does.

Interesting question.
Uhmmm...ahhh, never mind.

Old Fri Jul 26, 2002, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

Hey - does that go for women referees, too?

- Catherine Aird
Old Fri Jul 26, 2002, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

I am sure glad that my assignor doesn't require us to wear beards or moustaches!!!!! I was on a three week vacation and decided not to shave!!! Still couldn't grow either and well at my age above 30 +

AK ref SE
Old Fri Jul 26, 2002, 04:38pm
Official Forum Member

One psychological/cultural basis I've heard as an explaination for shaving is that it gives the appearance that the male is younger than he really is (or, at least, doesn't make him look older than he is).

While it may not be legal, I'm sure there are supervisors out there who see two refs of equal ability but different ages and pick the younger one because he is younger (some also pick the older for the "experienced" look).

Just tossing some psych fodder out there . . .
Old Sat Jul 27, 2002, 12:17am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by bard
Obviously, this guy had never heard of Abe Lincoln!?!?!?

FWIW, I personally think most men would look better with a beard and mustache. But I'm not an assignor, so in this discussion, my opinion doesn't count for much.

As to women, well with sleeves in our shirts and long pants, it's just not much of an issue -- thank goodness!