View Single Post
Old Mon Mar 29, 2010, 10:03am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun View Post
I'm not African American, but I am black (don't get me started on that) and I have experienced what the OP is talking about. On the west coast, I was criticized for being a "bald angry black man." I moved to the east coast and nobody said a word about it. I moved back to the west coast and haven't heard it at all. I don't know if I'm slowly shedding my military bearing or it just doesn't matter anymore.

After 20 years in the military, where a fade (tapered) haircut was once considered faddish for black guys, I can tell you that you are going to have problems with the corn rows. You will be viewed in the same light as a rapper/actor/athlete/thug/gangster. I hate to say this and I hate this saying, but it is what it is.
But being told your service isn't required after 4 games? This must be an assigner for the tourney and not an officials association, cause I can't imagine any real assigner pulling this crap.

And I read it more as "we don't like these guys -- we need a reason to get rid of them -- they call too much, they call not enough, we don't like black people -- for whatever reason."

I doubt I'd leave without making an effort to get paid, either. This is why all assignments should have contracts attached to them.