Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 21, 2010, 10:08pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul LeBoutillier View Post
Personally I think you should be able to get on this board and ask questions without being ganged up on.
First of all no one is ganging up on anyone. You come to an open forum you and ask for opinions you are allowed to hear what those have to say. If you do not like the answers, this might not be the place for you as well as many other places will not be the right places for that person. And when you have a parent that has totally lost perspective as to what their child is doing, then they need to told what is up. This is at best a rec league that does not have the wherewithal to hire trained officials. And honestly this is a joke if someone cannot understand how silly their position is. Someone needs to tell adults that they are taking the complete and total fun out of sports for their kids. There used to be a time when kids played on their own and that was the best thing. Now we have parents that think winning some kid’s game is a right or an obligation. And they wonder why qualified and trained officials want nothing to do with these games.

Peace
Old Sun Feb 21, 2010, 10:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
Know what, Paul? Every year I have to talk to the officials that are quitting our association because they feel that it just isn't worth taking the abuse any more that they have to take from the stands. So, feel free to sympathize with these whiny parents. I'll think that I'll stick with my fellow officials.
I understand your frustration. As an official I share it. But is the answer to become what they are? If someone is acting like an idiot should I lower myself to the same level of behavior and justify it by saying they started it?

At least the guy who posted the original question was willing to come onto a board loaded with officials to present his question. He could have just kept b****ing and complaining but he came onto OUR turf to get some clarity. We like to complain about parents who are ignorant of the rules. Well here was one guy willing to DO something about it. I'm just saying we shouldn't crucify him for making a positive effort toward getting smarter. That's all.
Old Sun Feb 21, 2010, 10:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Someone needs to tell adults that they are taking the complete and total fun out of sports for their kids.
I couldn't agree more!!!
Old Sun Feb 21, 2010, 11:12pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul LeBoutillier View Post
I understand your frustration. As an official I share it. But is the answer to become what they are? If someone is acting like an idiot should I lower myself to the same level of behavior and justify it by saying they started it?

At least the guy who posted the original question was willing to come onto a board loaded with officials to present his question. He could have just kept b****ing and complaining but he came onto OUR turf to get some clarity. We like to complain about parents who are ignorant of the rules. Well here was one guy willing to DO something about it. I'm just saying we shouldn't crucify him for making a positive effort toward getting smarter. That's all.
I disagree Paul for this reason. It is not our job to just go along with this person that comes here complaining. He asked a question and I think frankly that question was a little absurd on so many levels. This is not the NBA or the WNBA for that matter. This is not even the college ranks. This is not even where the officials are hand picked and we have a parent that wants to debate what is or is not a foul with a bunch of kids that cannot dribble. And if he does not understand that, this is not our problem. Sometimes people need to be put in place or told off to realize that what they are complaining about is silly. And to complain about "moving screens" when the girl is not even trained to know what to do and then get mad at the officials that are in shorts and probably were never trained in anything to do these games is just and expected. And yes I also agree with JR about siding with the officials. It is not our job to make him feel good about himself. But these kinds of complaints rub me the wrong way when I try to train officials to become better and you have fans that would never put their hat in the ring, but complain because the media tells them this behavior is acceptable.

Peace
Old Sun Feb 21, 2010, 11:43pm
Archaic Power Monger

For what it's worth, from my experience as a coach, fan, player and official, yelling about something like this rarely helps the situation and only serves to make it more contentious.

Last edited by Welpe; Sun Feb 21, 2010 at 11:47pm.
Old Sun Feb 21, 2010, 11:48pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostdog View Post
....... they come running to set the pick it is moving and they come from behind and wrap their arms around our girls, move with us, or hook us.

I was just begging for fair calls.
Does the video work for everybody except me?

I actually direct/officiate a league where some of the players are this young.
Much of it is basketball that only a parent could love. There are limits to what can be taught at this age, but for the "screeners" not to tackle the defenders is not too much to ask. But you are unlikely to get any satisfaction in this regard by screaming at teenagers wearing whistles.
If you are that interested, go to the league director and inquire about what it would take to hire registered officials. Likely the issue is at least partly financial and would require an increase in the entry fees for the players. Ask some of the other parents if they share your concerns and would be willing to ante up. Then proceed accordingly.

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Feb 22, 2010, 12:04am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Does the video work for everybody except me?

I actually direct/officiate a league where some of the players are this young.
Much of it is basketball that only a parent could love. There are limits to what can be taught at this age, but for the "screeners" not to tackle the defenders is not too much to ask. But you are unlikely to get any satisfaction in this regard by screaming at teenagers wearing whistles.
If you are that interested, go to the league director and inquire about what it would take to hire registered officials. Likely the issue is at least partly financial and would require an increase in the entry fees for the players. Ask some of the other parents if they share your concerns and would be willing to ante up. Then proceed accordingly.
Yeah you did not see much of the video. I did not see anyone tackle each other. It was mostly bad form and laughable to call much of a foul on at least two of the videos.

Peace
Old Mon Feb 22, 2010, 12:16am
Official Forum Member

Darn, the videos were taken down. I wanted to see these comical videos myself. Guess I was too late
Old Mon Feb 22, 2010, 12:17am
I got a Basketball Jones!

Quote:
If you are that interested, go to the league director and inquire about what it would take to hire registered officials.
Better yet, volunteer to call the games yourself. Come back to this board for training/study material and let us help you become a capable official.
Win-Win. Your league gets a mature adult to call games, you get some exercise and a greatly improved perspective on youth sports.
Old Mon Feb 22, 2010, 12:25am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Yeah you did not see much of the video. I did not see anyone tackle each other. It was mostly bad form and laughable to call much of a foul on at least two of the videos.

Peace
Reading is fundamental. I did not see any of the video. The link apparently is now dead.

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Feb 22, 2010, 12:27am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by justacoach View Post
Better yet, volunteer to call the games yourself. Come back to this board for training/study material and let us help you become a capable official.
Win-Win. Your league gets a mature adult to call games, you get some exercise and a greatly improved perspective on youth sports.
I don't think this is the answer. This mature adult may have less basketball experience than the kids doing the job now. As near as I can tell from some of the comments by viewers of the video, the account in the OP may not be a perfect view of the facts.

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Feb 22, 2010, 12:29am
Official Forum Member

Why doesn't someone just post the rule so this parent can read the rule for himself, then ask for our clarification.

Instead of laughing at this parent, and the quality of basketball in the video, let's remember that we were all that young once, and some of us have officiated these leagues before. Get off your high horses and help educate one fan.
Old Mon Feb 22, 2010, 12:36am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Reading is fundamental. I did not see any of the video. The link apparently is now dead.
It was available the first time you claimed you could not see it. I even saw the video after you claimed you could not see it again. It was just removed. Then again, no one ever accused you of being on top of things.

Peace
Old Mon Feb 22, 2010, 12:44am
Do not give a damn!!

Give it time, you will see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bas2456 View Post
Why doesn't someone just post the rule so this parent can read the rule for himself, then ask for our clarification.

Instead of laughing at this parent, and the quality of basketball in the video, let's remember that we were all that young once, and some of us have officiated these leagues before. Get off your high horses and help educate one fan.
You have not been here very long either. Wait until mid March through the NCAA Tournaments, you will see what we are talking about. This place will be crawling with fans that saw their high school teams lose and saw something on the NCAA Tournaments that they did not understand. And if you quoted a rule to them, where are they going to read this for themselves? I am on another site that is mostly fans and I just had a fellow official try to argue with officials a rule that was quoted out of the rulebook. This is not being on a high horse; this is realizing that no matter what you say these folks will always think they know better. And if you do not want an opinion DO NOT ASK FOR ONE!!!!

Peace
Old Mon Feb 22, 2010, 12:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You have not been here very long either. Wait until mid March through the NCAA Tournaments, you will see what we are talking about. This place will be crawling with fans that saw their high school teams lose and saw something on the NCAA Tournaments that they did not understand. And if you quoted a rule to them, where are they going to read this for themselves? I am on another site that is mostly fans and I just had a fellow official try to argue with officials a rule that was quoted out of the rulebook. This is not being on a high horse; this is realizing that no matter what you say these folks will always think they know better. And if you do not want an opinion DO NOT ASK FOR ONE!!!!

Peace
Whether I've been here for one year or ten (or 90 in Padgett's case), I completely understand where you're coming from.

However, if someone puts the rule out there, I would think that if someone is sensible enough, they could read the rule, try and understand it, and move on. Lots of times on here we get visitors who really do want to understand the rule, and then they leave because they got what they came here for.

I realize not everyone is as sensible as these people are, but the least we could do is put the onus on them to read the rule.
Closed Thread