The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 08, 2010, 04:33pm
Official Forum Member

Good partner, finally!

Tonight, I got Girls JV with an official who I know can take care of business. Not like the many other officials I've had this year who just don't care and are there only for the money. I don't know what it was about this year but I just had very bad luck this season with officials. One threatening to beat me up at halftime, several that just couldn't officiate to save their life, including some that are 10+ years, and several newbies (3 years or under) who act like they know it all.

Hoping we don't kick it tonight!
Old Mon Feb 08, 2010, 04:41pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to CLH Send a message via Yahoo to CLH
I was going to keep quiet, but you finally said enough for me to ask...what exactly is your experience level and what qualifies you to degrade the officials you've worked with and argue with the ones who have tried to help you on this site?

I wonder how many of your partners are going home and talking about the guy they worked with tonight that, "can't referee to save his life."

Getting plays right and knowing rules is the easy part of this job, staying humble and not talking sh*t about people can be the tough part...kinda appears you're failing at both here hoss....

Don't bother replying to me, I'm not going to be drawn into an argument with you. I just think you should check yourself and realize that you are not God's gift to officiating.

just my two cents...glad you have a good partner and the game goes great!
Old Mon Feb 08, 2010, 04:41pm
Official Forum Member

While I think we all have had some interesting partners, I myself have never had a partner threaten to beat me up at half, or any other time. I'm just curious how serious he was with this threat, and what prompted it? Did he not like the fact that you called something in his primary?
Old Mon Feb 08, 2010, 04:43pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I wonder how many partners I've had leave the game and think, "I hope I never have to work with that moron again."
Old Mon Feb 08, 2010, 04:45pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocDog249 View Post
I'm just curious how serious he was with this threat, and what prompted it?
He probably read one of his posts on this forum.

I've felt like it too.
Old Mon Feb 08, 2010, 04:47pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
I wonder how many partners I've had leave the game and think, "I hope I never have to work with that moron again."
94.675% of 'em approximately......

Bad Woddy.....
Old Mon Feb 08, 2010, 04:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocDog249 View Post
While I think we all have had some interesting partners, I myself have never had a partner threaten to beat me up at half, or any other time. I'm just curious how serious he was with this threat, and what prompted it? Did he not like the fact that you called something in his primary?
I just asked him a question and I guess it came off as obnoxious or something when I didn't mean it. I just asked him to make sure he knew what the procedure was for 5 fouls on a player, because we had a player with 4 fouls going into the half (yes, I know this is pregame stuff but the guy showed up like 10 minutes before the start of the game, no time for pregame). He flipped out about it, saying he was better than me and he doesn't give a ****. Then he said "if I ever hear you talk about me behind my back, I'm gonna beat the living piss out of you" (near-exact words). Half time was 8 minutes, I was back on the court at 7:31 without my partner, I couldn't stay in the locker room with him after he said that, because a fight probably would have broken out and I could have easily killed him since the guy was old and light weight.

Funny thing about the night, that player played most of the 2nd half and did not foul out. I was amazed, he played great defense the whole second half, and even drew a charge or two.

anyways, off to my game now, good luck to any of you officiating tonight, looking forward to reading about any unusual or funny plays!
Old Mon Feb 08, 2010, 04:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
I'm sure I've had several officials say that, because we all have a bad game that we kick a call or two. I tell guys to be honest with me and several have said "you suck, hang up the whistle". That only fueled me to get better and when I would officiate with the same person a season or two later they'd say that I definitely got better or had a better game that night.
Old Mon Feb 08, 2010, 04:53pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Talking I'm bummed

Just my luck. Got a game tonight with a guy whose always in trouble with his partners. Doesn't seem to matter if they're experienced or newbies. I don't know what it is with this guy, but apparently he can't work with anyone in our Association. I hear one guy even threatened to hit him. Yikes!

Well, GIGDGO. That's my motto for tonight.

Hope we don't kick it.
Old Mon Feb 08, 2010, 04:56pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by representing View Post
Then he said "if I ever hear you talk about me behind my back, I'm gonna beat the living piss out of you" (near-exact words).
And now you're talking behind a whole bunch of your past partner's backs.

Seems like you've kinda got a reputation for doing so..both there and here.

Think about it.

Or not.
Old Mon Feb 08, 2010, 04:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLH View Post
I was going to keep quiet, but you finally said enough for me to ask...what exactly is your experience level and what qualifies you to degrade the officials you've worked with and argue with the ones who have tried to help you on this site?

I wonder how many of your partners are going home and talking about the guy they worked with tonight that, "can't referee to save his life."

Getting plays right and knowing rules is the easy part of this job, staying humble and not talking sh*t about people can be the tough part...kinda appears you're failing at both here hoss....

Don't bother replying to me, I'm not going to be drawn into an argument with you. I just think you should check yourself and realize that you are not God's gift to officiating.

just my two cents...glad you have a good partner and the game goes great!
Sorry if I offended you or anything. I've been officiating for 6 years, but before that have been scorekeeping for many years and became good buddies with several officials that are now my mentors. I'm at a higher level now than some guys in the chapter who have been officiating for 10-15 years. Some will say that I've become lucky to have the two guys as my mentors and several others that help me out too, because these guys are the best in our chapter.

I've never said I was God's gift to officiating. In fact, I would be the first to say I'm far from it. I think God gave me a gift to be an official, but I'm not the utmost gift to this world that guys like Ed Rush would probably be. I still have a lot of work ahead of me, but I do put a lot of passion in to be officiating.
Old Mon Feb 08, 2010, 04:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
And now you're talking behind a whole bunch of your past partner's backs.

Seems like you've kinda got a reputation for doing so..both there and here.

Think about it.

Or not.
When I "talk behind someone's back" I usually don't bring a name up. I don't consider it "talking behind's someone's back" if a name doesn't come up. Several times a name will come up, but only if someone else says "so-and-so sucks, I ref'ed with him the other day and I hope I never have to work with him again!"

gtg, game tonight
Old Mon Feb 08, 2010, 05:00pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Upward ref
Quote:
Tonight, I got Girls JV with an official who I know can take care of business. Not like the many other officials I've had this year who just don't care and are there only for the money. I don't know what it was about this year but I just had very bad luck this season with officials. One threatening to beat me up at halftime, several that just couldn't officiate to save their life, including some that are 10+ years, and several newbies (3 years or under) who act like they know it all.

Hoping we don't kick it tonight!
My only threat so far was from a parent, later found out about his "rap sheet" and was glad i managed to defuse the situation ! He should of been ejected, but his kid's coach threw him out at the next practice !
Old Mon Feb 08, 2010, 05:04pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Exclamation

Quote:
When I "talk behind someone's back" I usually don't bring a name up. I don't consider it "talking behind's someone's back" if a name doesn't come up. Several times a name will come up, but only if someone else says "so-and-so sucks, I ref'ed with him the other day and I hope I never have to work with him again!"

gtg, game tonight
I gotta tell ya....I haven't been reffing as long as some of you guys, and I've only done several hundred games in four different leagues. But, I have never heard anything close to another official being so unprofessional to say "so and so sucks." I've never heard of such back-stabbing.

Is it just me?
Old Mon Feb 08, 2010, 05:04pm
Official Forum Member

I could care less what my partner says about my officiating after a game as long as I am doing my best and am in the game. I do care however what he says about me personally and that is why I treat them all with respect and dignity even if they are not the best official.