The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 08, 2010, 05:04pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by representing View Post
When I "talk behind someone's back" I usually don't bring a name up. I don't consider it "talking behind's someone's back" if a name doesn't come up. Several times a name will come up, but only if someone else says "so-and-so sucks, I ref'ed with him the other day and I hope I never have to work with him again!"

gtg, game tonight
I was actually thinking along the same lines as Jurassic when you mentioned that. Using names isn't always required to get in trouble for this stuff. There's no good that comes from doing this stuff. When converstations turn to other officials around here, unless it's "He's really good, you should watch him work" or "She really knows how to deal with that coach," I just keep my mouth shut and turn the conversation to other things; such as the game we're about to work.

It always comes back to bite you in the a$$. Always.
Old Mon Feb 08, 2010, 05:05pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
94.675% of 'em approximately......

Bad Woddy.....
So you've seen my evals.
Old Mon Feb 08, 2010, 05:12pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
I was actually thinking along the same lines as Jurassic when you mentioned that. Using names isn't always required to get in trouble for this stuff. There's no good that comes from doing this stuff. When converstations turn to other officials around here, unless it's "He's really good, you should watch him work" or "She really knows how to deal with that coach," I just keep my mouth shut and turn the conversation to other things; such as the game we're about to work.

It always comes back to bite you in the a$$. Always.
For the most part, I work with a select chosen set of partners. About 60% of my games with 1 guy, about 30% of the games with another, and the rest with a third (with some minor exceptions, mostly when working 3-person). The names may change slightly from year to year, but normally we work with people we trust and people we like being around.

Of course, when those relationships change, having contracts 2 years in front of you with those people can make things somewhat awkward....
Old Mon Feb 08, 2010, 05:15pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDurham View Post
I could care less what my partner says about my officiating after a game as long as I am doing my best and am in the game. I do care however what he says about me personally and that is why I treat them all with respect and dignity even if they are not the best official.
We see some pretty awful officials in prelim games and I am never anything but nice to them and show them respect. Unlike the chuckleheads in the stands, they have the courage to go out and work the games.

If someone asks for constructive advice, I give something they can take away (or leave behind). I try to treat people the way I would like to be treated.
Old Mon Feb 08, 2010, 05:17pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
So you've seen my evals.
Yup.

God wasn't very good to you either, Shorty.

Methinks both you and representing should think of suing the Big Guy ...maybe in Peoples Court. You for God giving you such a short eval, and representing can get Him for false promises.
Old Mon Feb 08, 2010, 05:22pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I haven't been called "shorty" since I left that Dutch college in Iowa.
Old Mon Feb 08, 2010, 06:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
I gotta tell ya....I haven't been reffing as long as some of you guys, and I've only done several hundred games in four different leagues. But, I have never heard anything close to another official being so unprofessional to say "so and so sucks." I've never heard of such back-stabbing.

Is it just me?
It's not just you.

If an official does hear it more than once, it might be worth taking a look at what he's doing - both on and off the court - to garner such a response.
Old Mon Feb 08, 2010, 06:46pm
In Time Out

whenever I say something bad I try to back it up with something good. don't like talking about other refs. luckily I can block partners I don't want to work with. I even took one off this year because I saw him again and he was doing a lot better so I give someone two chances.

me I'm just a swell, humble guy to work with who is fortunate enough to be better than everyone else.
Old Mon Feb 08, 2010, 08:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutantducky View Post
me I'm just a swell, humble guy to work with who is fortunate enough to be better than everyone else.
Yea, makes life tough, eh?

Seriously, with some personal friends who are refs, I do occasionally engage in reffing gossip, (see my post in Padgett's thread about the People's Court), but I absolutely never bash anyone unless I know my co-gossip-er very,very well, and know that it won't go any further.
Old Mon Feb 08, 2010, 08:45pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Party Line ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juulie Downs View Post
I do occasionally engage in reffing gossip, but I absolutely never bash anyone unless I know my co-gossip-er very,very well, and know that it won't go any further.
C'mon Juulie Downs. You can trust us. We can keep a secret.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Feb 08, 2010, 09:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
I gotta tell ya....I haven't been reffing as long as some of you guys, and I've only done several hundred games in four different leagues. But, I have never heard anything close to another official being so unprofessional to say "so and so sucks." I've never heard of such back-stabbing.

Is it just me?
It's just you
Old Tue Feb 09, 2010, 08:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
For the most part, I work with a select chosen set of partners. About 60% of my games with 1 guy, about 30% of the games with another, and the rest with a third (with some minor exceptions, mostly when working 3-person). The names may change slightly from year to year, but normally we work with people we trust and people we like being around.

Of course, when those relationships change, having contracts 2 years in front of you with those people can make things somewhat awkward....
Is one of your regular partners the dude who called the 5-second vioation from trail on your throw in as lead?
Old Tue Feb 09, 2010, 08:35am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
Is one of your regular partners the dude who called the 5-second vioation from trail on your throw in as lead?
Not anymore. Actually, not for 2 years, but when you get contracts almost 2 years out it can be an awkward processs.

Like I said, relationships change.
Old Tue Feb 09, 2010, 08:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Tonight, One threatening to beat me up at halftime,
This never happend to me BUT once my partner said that if took a game on our anniversary she was going to kill me. Sometimes it's a good thing to listen to, and not aggravate your partner!!!!
Old Tue Feb 09, 2010, 09:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Tonight, I got Girls JV with an official who I know can take care of business. Not like the many other officials I've had this year who just don't care and are there only for the money. I don't know what it was about this year but I just had very bad luck this season with officials. One threatening to beat me up at halftime, several that just couldn't officiate to save their life, including some that are 10+ years, and several newbies (3 years or under) who act like they know it all.

Hoping we don't kick it tonight!
At some point, you should consider what the common denominator of all these recurring problems might be.