The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 09, 2010, 09:45am
Official Forum Member

This clown has worked 6 years and only has one varsity assignment?

There's a reason for that.

I cannot wait until someone in PA reads this, puts two and two together and outs you to your association.

You won't even be able to get a job setting up the scorers table.
Old Tue Feb 09, 2010, 09:54am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdf View Post
This clown has worked 6 years and only has one varsity assignment?

There's a reason for that.

I cannot wait until someone in PA reads this, puts two and two together and outs you to your association.

You won't even be able to get a job setting up the scorers table.
Not that I'm defending him, but:

There are places in this country where 6 years would be the normal progression to varsity games. Those areas have a lot of varsity officials and breaking through is not easy.
Old Tue Feb 09, 2010, 10:09am
Official Forum Member

He has stated prior that he should be working ahead of plenty of guys who are working varsity.

Again..... there is a reason why he's where he is today.

We all can tell why just from his continued ridicule of his colleagues.
Old Tue Feb 09, 2010, 10:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post

There are places in this country where 6 years would be the normal progression to varsity games. Those areas have a lot of varsity officials and breaking through is not easy.
I'd say average is 4-5 in my area for decent games, maybe longer.
Old Tue Feb 09, 2010, 10:18am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdf View Post
He has stated prior that he should be working ahead of plenty of guys who are working varsity.

Again..... there is a reason why he's where he is today.

We all can tell why just from his continued ridicule of his colleagues.
Well, I was trying to make a statement without addressing the OP.

Some people have 6 years experience and others have one year of experience six times. I've met 20 year officials I wouldn't hire to work a 4th grade girls game, either.

(If he hurries here, he can have my varsity boys game tonight. I don't feel like driving in the snow.)
Old Tue Feb 09, 2010, 10:21am
Official Forum Member

I hope this guy is yanking our chain!

Old Tue Feb 09, 2010, 10:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I've met 20 year officials I wouldn't hire to work a 4th grade girls game, either.
Yep.... as have I.
Old Tue Feb 09, 2010, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Our chapter is very political, and that's from a bias standpoint. It's hard to make it to varsity until at least the 5th or 6th year unless you got great connections which I lacked. Let it be known that I was also away for most of the last three seasons and that has hurt me in my process of going up to Varsity. I was going to a college, in the same District but totally different league, for three years (Fall 2006-Spring 2009) so I couldn't get a lot of recognition during that time. I would only come home on some weekends and usually get biddy games and some JH games. It was hard for me to get JV games during those three years for some reason. I would get games during the week at the leagues down there, but I didn't care about doing Varsity as I didn't think I was going to be officiating in those leagues this year, which turned out to be correct. Maybe next year since those leagues are now recruiting a few guys from our league to officiate.

So all-in-all, I would say that total experience would come to around 4 or 5 years, even though this is my 6th season.
Old Tue Feb 09, 2010, 02:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by representing View Post
Our chapter is very political, and that's from a bias standpoint. It's hard to make it to varsity until at least the 5th or 6th year unless you got great connections which I lacked. Let it be known that I was also away for most of the last three seasons and that has hurt me in my process of going up to Varsity. I was going to a college, in the same District but totally different league, for three years (Fall 2006-Spring 2009) so I couldn't get a lot of recognition during that time. I would only come home on some weekends and usually get biddy games and some JH games. It was hard for me to get JV games during those three years for some reason. I would get games during the week at the leagues down there, but I didn't care about doing Varsity as I didn't think I was going to be officiating in those leagues this year, which turned out to be correct. Maybe next year since those leagues are now recruiting a few guys from our league to officiate.

So all-in-all, I would say that total experience would come to around 4 or 5 years, even though this is my 6th season.
Based on your knowledge of the rules (or lack of knowledge, I should say), it's probably a good thing for everyone involved that you haven't worked any varsity games. You really have a large chip on your shoulder for someone who has a very poor understanding of the rules.