The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 17, 2005, 12:16pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs up

Last night girls game. A1 goes up to shoot. B1 gets hand on top of ball with absolutely no body contact and forces A1 to come down with ball. I call a jump.

Coach A screams for a foul. I say to my partner (in front of the coach), "The coach wants a foul. Since all that was hit was the ball, put the ball at the free throw line for two shots."

My partner says, "What's the point of doing that? We're just going to wind up with a couple of 10 second violations."

I reply, "Oh yeah. I hadn't thought of that." I turned to the coach and said, "Sorry, I don't think it's in the rules that the ball can shoot itself."

The coach looked like someone had just put a calculus exam in front of him. He turned around and walked away.

"Besides", my partner continued, "the ball is wearing an illegal number - 28.5"

That one cracked me up.
Old Thu Feb 17, 2005, 12:38pm
Official Forum Member

I assume the coach was afraid to talk to those crazy SOB's the rest of the game!
Old Thu Feb 17, 2005, 12:40pm
Official Forum Member

That was a good one!

Hey, I read your post to my buddy here and he wanted to know why that would not be a travelling call instead of jump ball?

Would it be because the hand was still on the ball when the shooter came down?

Thanks,

Old Thu Feb 17, 2005, 12:41pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Last night girls game. A1 goes up to shoot. B1 gets hand on top of ball with absolutely no body contact and forces A1 to come down with ball. I call a jump.

Coach A screams for a foul. I say to my partner (in front of the coach), "The coach wants a foul. Since all that was hit was the ball, put the ball at the free throw line for two shots."

My partner says, "What's the point of doing that? We're just going to wind up with a couple of 10 second violations."

I reply, "Oh yeah. I hadn't thought of that." I turned to the coach and said, "Sorry, I don't think it's in the rules that the ball can shoot itself."

The coach looked like someone had just put a calculus exam in front of him. He turned around and walked away.

"Besides", my partner continued, "the ball is wearing an illegal number - 28.5"

That one cracked me up.
Details, Mark. WHO??
Old Thu Feb 17, 2005, 12:47pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally posted by mopar60
That was a good one!

Hey, I read your post to my buddy here and he wanted to know why that would not be a travelling call instead of jump ball?

Thanks,

defensive player's hand doens't have to be on the ball when the shooter comes down. If the defender's hand prevented the release of the shot, it's a jump ball; not traveling.
Old Thu Feb 17, 2005, 12:47pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
That was a good one!

Thanks,

Explained under 4-25-2

Edit: Snaq can type fast!

[Edited by tjones1 on Feb 17th, 2005 at 12:50 PM]
Old Thu Feb 17, 2005, 12:49pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally posted by tjones1
Quote:
That was a good one!

Thanks,

Yes. 4-25-2
So, you're saying B1's hand has to still be on the ball when A1 lands for it to be a jump ball?
Old Thu Feb 17, 2005, 12:52pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally posted by Snaqwells
Quote:
Originally posted by tjones1
Quote:
That was a good one!

Thanks,

Yes. 4-25-2
So, you're saying B1's hand has to still be on the ball when A1 lands for it to be a jump ball?
Nope, it's just that you caught me before I could go back!
Old Thu Feb 17, 2005, 12:56pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I figured.
Old Thu Feb 17, 2005, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

It's good to know that I'll never have trouble getting big games when there are officials like this out there who would rather come up with funny jokes than actually manage the game properly.
Old Thu Feb 17, 2005, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TriggerMN
It's good to know that I'll never have trouble getting big games when there are officials like this out there who would rather come up with funny jokes than actually manage the game properly.
I believe this occurred in a rec league game, not a high school game.
Old Thu Feb 17, 2005, 01:28pm
Official Forum Member

LOL, that is so funny, especially when your partner gets in on it too.
Old Thu Feb 17, 2005, 01:34pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
How exactly do you know that this particular game wasn't managed properly? Did you see it? Did you get game reports on it? Break down the films maybe?

Just wondering how you are so sure that this game was so poorly managed.
Old Thu Feb 17, 2005, 01:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
How exactly do you know that this particular game wasn't managed properly? Did you see it? Did you get game reports on it? Break down the films maybe?

Just wondering how you are so sure that this game was so poorly managed.
That's a good point. There are some guys out there who have the charisma to be able to inject some humor into a game and still have the character to maintain control and run the game smoothly. I don't happen to have that kind of charisma - when I try and be funny I usually fall on my face, so I don't do it very often. Some people just have it, some don't. It's the ones who don't have it but think they do that are trouble.
Old Thu Feb 17, 2005, 01:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Getting a coach to laugh (while VERY dangerous) can be good management of a game. During my first year, a particular coach was chirping the entrie first half about everything. My partner and I discussed it at half as we were both ready to pull out the T. Just after the start of the third quarter, my partner is T standing right by the coach when the ball goes OOB. His team is getting ready to inbound when the following exchange occurs;

Coach: "My team isn't litening to me and the two of you are ignoring me, I can't win."
Partner: "Coach, my dad would tell you the same thing he tells me, every communication failure you have has one thing in common."
Coach: "And what would that be?"
Partner: "You"

Coach grins and says "You may be onto something". Rest of the game was pleasant and the coach shut up.