The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 07, 2002, 11:14am
Official Forum Member

Unhappy

What do you say? Girls varstiy game, home team is bad and coach knows it. I am at "C", visitors shoot about three times and keep getting rebound, lane is really congested but they are all just standing there, third shot "L" calls foul on A1 (home) across the lane on the shot (more my call, but). I thought there was little or no contact and didn't affect the shooter if there was, I am right in front of the coach while he reports the foul. He says in a nice way, "awww come on, that's pretty picky there, don't you think?", I don't bite. Next trip down, I am at "L" and his girl goes stumbling in and looses the ball in the lane, turnover, no call. As I come back in his area he is saying "their getting that call down there, why aren't we". I just gave him a look and said "nothing there, coach". This goes on all game, the last straw was with 3 minutes to go, his team down by 30, A3 rejects a shot, literally does get all ball, and same guy calls her for a foul, I am "T" and step out of the way so he can report and the coach says to me "hey, that guy's got a great set of eyes on him, ya know". I had to laugh, I really wanted to remind him not to get our names mixed up, but passed on that.
Old Thu Feb 07, 2002, 11:34am
Official Forum Member

There must be more to this story. You did a whole game and your partner called two fouls that you thought were clean blocks and it merits a post about how bad he/she was? Or maybe I missed the point.

Z
Old Thu Feb 07, 2002, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

You have to acknowledge your partners decision and nod in agreement with it, even though the foul wasn't there. Then go on the other end and make the same consistent call, not passing on it.

Why answer to the coach, ignore him, give him the stop sign, or "t" him. No explanation is necessary.

Old Thu Feb 07, 2002, 11:47am
Official Forum Member

Angry

I wasn't saying that I thought he was bad, just that the coach kept saying that to me and the other partner, guess he told the R "this guy just really bugs me with these calls". He was just not on the same page as the R and I, as far as what was or was not a foul. One thing that annoyed me slightly was when he would report a foul that he probably kicked he would try to justify it at the table by saying things like "got her with the body", "slid under him". Other than that I had no problem with the guy, I enjoyed working with him. Sorry you didn't get much out of the post zebraman, I'll try to do better next time.
Old Thu Feb 07, 2002, 11:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by John Schaefferkoetter
You have to acknowledge your partners decision and nod in agreement with it, even though the foul wasn't there. Then go on the other end and make the same consistent call, not passing on it.

Why answer to the coach, ignore him, give him the stop sign, or "t" him. No explanation is necessary.

I hate to disagree John, but, I disagree with everything you said.

1. I am not going to nod my head on a phantom foul, I don't nod my head on any other call's my partner makes and certainly not going to in this instance.

2. I am not going to call something on the other end if it's not there just because partner blew one on the other end. If he wants to even it up let him do it, I am going to call my game, unless I am inconsistent with both partners then I will try to adjust.

3. I don't think saying "nothing there, coach" to acknowledge him is a bad thing. I let him know that I am listening to him, hence, working to try to call a good game for him. He definitely did nothing to warrant a stop sign, that happens when I have had enough and obviously since I answered him it wasn't bothering me, and certainly wasn't going to get T'd for chatting with me about certain calls my partner was making. I wouldn't let him say anything personal or mean about a partner but voicing some displeasure is understandable, imho. Devon.