The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 05, 2010, 09:49pm
Official Forum Member

How Would You Have Handled This?

This came up in my game tonight.

Girls' sophomore. Visitors are getting crushed. In the 4th quarter the V HC earns himself a T from me. A couple of trips down the floor later, I see the AC standing. She's not really doing anything other than standing.

As we go up the floor away from their bench I tell her to sit down. She couldn't have sat down any faster if you paid her.

At a time out, she comes up to me and asks me the rule.

Would you have T'd the V bench right there on the spot since the AC was standing? Or did I handle it the way you would have?
Old Fri Feb 05, 2010, 09:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bas2456 View Post

Girls' sophomore. Visitors are getting crushed. In the 4th quarter the V HC earns himself a T from me. A couple of trips down the floor later, I see the AC standing. She's not really doing anything other than standing.

As we go up the floor away from their bench I tell her to sit down. She couldn't have sat down any faster if you paid her.

Would you have T'd the V bench right there on the spot since the AC was standing? Or did I handle it the way you would have?
Many of these younger (and older) assistant coaches don't know the rules as has been pointed out many times. I am sure that there are some who would advocate a technical foul in this situation. I think you handled the situation correctly. Had the coach been argumentative about your request, I can see a technical, here. In your situation, I think you did just fine.
Old Fri Feb 05, 2010, 09:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMHCoachNRef View Post
Many of these younger (and older) assistant coaches don't know the rules as has been pointed out many times. I am sure that there are some who would advocate a technical foul in this situation. I think you handled the situation correctly. Had the coach been argumentative about your request, I can see a technical, here. In your situation, I think you did just fine.
This friend speaks my mind.
Old Fri Feb 05, 2010, 11:31pm
This IS My Social Life

Naw, good educational officating on your part averted the bad situation from getting worse, and the effect you desired was fulfilled. Good going!
Old Sat Feb 06, 2010, 12:56am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:

Just for clarification, the sophomore team had 2 AC's on the bench, the Varsity HC and the AC you asked to be seated?

Or is the Varsity HC the AC you are referring to?

Last edited by Raymond; Sat Feb 06, 2010 at 12:59am.
Old Sat Feb 06, 2010, 01:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
Naw, good educational officating on your part averted the bad situation from getting worse, and the effect you desired was fulfilled. Good going!
Agreed. But still you need to be sure the AC and HC know that this is not acceptable. I would still warn the head coach that the AC must remain seated with mouth shut.
Old Sat Feb 06, 2010, 01:05am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by refiator View Post
Agreed. But still you need to be sure the AC and HC know that this is not acceptable. I would still warn the head coach that the AC must remain seated with mouth shut.
What's the purpose of this? If the transgression being addressed is the AC standing why the added comment about keeping their mouth shut?
Old Sat Feb 06, 2010, 01:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Just for clarification, the sophomore team had 2 AC's on the bench, the Varsity HC and the AC you asked to be seated?

Or is the Varsity HC the AC you are referring to?
I only noticed one assistant besides the head coach for the sophomore team. I couldn't tell ya who the varsity coach is for this school...first time I'd had them. S/he was probably with his/her team preparing to play.
Old Sat Feb 06, 2010, 01:09am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
I only noticed one assistant besides the head coach for the sophomore team. I couldn't tell ya who the varsity coach is for this school...first time I'd had them. S/he was probably with his/her team preparing to play.
Your OP says you gave a T to the "V HC".
Old Sat Feb 06, 2010, 01:12am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Your OP says you gave a T to the "V HC".

Visitors Head Coach

Lonesome Dove
Old Sat Feb 06, 2010, 01:15am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Visitors Head Coach
Thanks...thought I was crazy for a second.

So really, the T against the HC had nothing to do with the scenario. AC has no business standing. Directing the AC to be seated was the appropriate action by the OP, whether a T had been called earlier or not.
Old Sat Feb 06, 2010, 01:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Visitors Head Coach
Thanks jar...

Let's say though that the outcome of the game is in doubt, does that change what you would do?
Old Sat Feb 06, 2010, 02:16am
Official Forum Member

I would of handled the situation exactly as you did regardless of how close the score was. This is assuming the AC was not argumentative and sat down immediately.
Old Sat Feb 06, 2010, 08:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
I would of handled the situation exactly as you did regardless of how close the score was. This is assuming the AC was not argumentative and sat down immediately.
+1

I phrase the warning as, "you need to stay seated," or "you can't be standing," so that if there's an issue later I can address it.

That is, I won't give an AC more than one warning, so I want the warning to be perfectly clear.
Old Sat Feb 06, 2010, 10:59am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by refiator View Post
Quote:
What's the purpose of this? If the transgression being addressed is the AC standing why the added comment about keeping their mouth shut?
I agree with BNR, why inflame the situation?