The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 04, 2010, 10:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmara View Post
He always wants the horn and always wants the whistle, in that order. My concern was that the clock operator may not always know the appropriate time to buzz the horn to let subs in but that's the way he wants it. His concern is that sometimes the officials let the subs in without properly checking into the game. I discussed it with my table on Tuesday and they have been told different things each game. I'm sure it's very confusing for them.
Interesting. Did you ask him what you should do when you see a sub come to the table but the timer doesn't see him and therefore there is no horn when appropriate?
Old Thu Feb 04, 2010, 10:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
Jeff, same question I asked Bob, do recall if this was written anywhere? A small wager hangs in the balance.
I remember (or mis-remember) HB saying it.
Old Thu Feb 04, 2010, 11:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
I remember (or mis-remember) HB saying it.
Like E.F. Hutton, everyone listens.
Old Thu Feb 04, 2010, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
It is not written because it is not required. That being said I am an IHSA Clinician with the state, so it really depends on who you work for. Some people like the whistle, others do not. But as you should know we do not use the NF Manuals so that information is not relevant to us necessarily unless otherwise stated.

Peace
I tend to whistle if needed. If I'm directly looking at partner who is waiting for OK sign from me, and I have stop sign up, I don't whistle.

It's really nothing, just that my double patched partner seemed to make more out of it than it should have been.
Old Thu Feb 04, 2010, 11:18am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
I tend to whistle if needed. If I'm directly looking at partner who is waiting for OK sign from me, and I have stop sign up, I don't whistle.

It's really nothing, just that my double patched partner seemed to make more out of it than it should have been.
I heard HB address the issue too as Bob stated, but not like "If you do not blow the whistle you will never work again......." type conversation. I just remember it in passing and really it depends like many other things in our state. I advocate those to use the whistle if you need to. But if I am right be the table like in a FT, I might not use it at all in those situations. There are many things in Illinois we are required to do, this is not one of them.

Peace
Old Thu Feb 04, 2010, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw3018 View Post
Interesting. Did you ask him what you should do when you see a sub come to the table but the timer doesn't see him and therefore there is no horn when appropriate?
He indirectly addressed this question, IMO, when he said you have to assume if there is not a horn, the sub has not properly checked in.

He did address the situation where the coach sends up one sub at a time. He wants only the subs at the table when the ball became dead to be allowed to enter (within reason). If someone just picked up a foul and the coach wants to sub him out, then allow it but eliminate the lengthy sub process.

-Josh
Old Thu Feb 04, 2010, 11:39am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmara View Post
He indirectly addressed this question, IMO, when he said you have to assume if there is not a horn, the sub has not properly checked in.

He did address the situation where the coach sends up one sub at a time. He wants only the subs at the table when the ball became dead to be allowed to enter (within reason). If someone just picked up a foul and the coach wants to sub him out, then allow it but eliminate the lengthy sub process.

-Josh
So the IHSAA director wants you to use a different sub rule than the NFHS uses? The only time a sub is not allowed who has reported during a dead ball is if they report with less than 15 seconds left in the intermission or TO.

If he wants this done that way, he needs to put out a written directive so you guys have some sort of documented backing; otherwise you'll have no rules backing to make them wait.
Old Thu Feb 04, 2010, 11:46am
Do not give a damn!!

Not the way I read it or understood the directives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
So the IHSAA director wants you to use a different sub rule than the NFHS uses? The only time a sub is not allowed who has reported during a dead ball is if they report with less than 15 seconds left in the intermission or TO.

If he wants this done that way, he needs to put out a written directive so you guys have some sort of documented backing; otherwise you'll have no rules backing to make them wait.
Snaq,

If I am reading this correctly, he is not saying to not follow the rule; he is saying to not have multiple times players being sent to the table. There was an interpretation along with an editorial change which basically suggested that subs should all be done at one time, not one here, then several seconds another later. Does that mean that we do this realistically? Of course not, but I can understand if an area wants a stricter enforcement of the rule.

Peace
Old Thu Feb 04, 2010, 11:50am
Keeper of the HAMMER

You might be right, Rut, I may have read that wrong and applied it more broadly than the director's intent.
Old Thu Feb 04, 2010, 05:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
You might be right, Rut, I may have read that wrong and applied it more broadly than the director's intent.
JRut is correct...Sorry, I probably didn't explain myself clear enough.

-Josh