The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 04, 2010, 12:17am
Official Forum Member

Horn is always used in this area (and several other areas I've officiated in). I use the whistle if I see the sub but don't hear the horn for a second or two. If more subs are coming running to the table, I blow the whistle again to let my partner know not to hand the ball yet.

For the most part though, the horn lets us know there is a sub at the table. Unfortunately not edible though
Old Thu Feb 04, 2010, 08:35am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by representing View Post
Horn is always used in this area (and several other areas I've officiated in). I use the whistle if I see the sub but don't hear the horn for a second or two. If more subs are coming running to the table, I blow the whistle again to let my partner know not to hand the ball yet.

For the most part though, the horn lets us know there is a sub at the table. Unfortunately not edible though
The horn notifies the official. The whistle is used to bring the sub in. See Nevada's post.

I don't get the hesitation in this area. Of course my partners and I all whistle all the subs in, so maybe that's it.
Old Thu Feb 04, 2010, 08:38am
Do not give a damn!!

I use the whistle most of the time, but not all the time. I think it really depends on where you are located and how good the table personnel are in letting in subs.

Peace
Old Thu Feb 04, 2010, 08:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
Yep.
Yes, you double tweet OR yes, it is tacky?
Old Thu Feb 04, 2010, 08:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I use the whistle most of the time, but not all the time. I think it really depends on where you are located and how good the table personnel are in letting in subs.

Peace
Hmm.. I must be wrong, but I thought one of IL's mechanic "adoptions" was to NOT whistle in subs?
Old Thu Feb 04, 2010, 09:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Hmm.. I must be wrong, but I thought one of IL's mechanic "adoptions" was to NOT whistle in subs?
Bob, tell me more. Is this published somewhere?
Old Thu Feb 04, 2010, 09:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLH17 View Post
Yes, you double tweet OR yes, it is tacky?
Your question mark in OP was after tacky. Yes, it's 'tacky'.
Old Thu Feb 04, 2010, 09:14am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
I think it is suggested not to use it every time because it is not always necessary, but there is nothing against using the whistle. So it really comes down to who you work for.

Peace
Old Thu Feb 04, 2010, 09:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I think it is suggested not to use it every time because it is not always necessary, but there is nothing against using the whistle. So it really comes down to who you work for.

Peace
Jeff, same question I asked Bob, do recall if this was written anywhere? A small wager hangs in the balance.
Old Thu Feb 04, 2010, 10:04am
Official Forum Member

Ironic that this was brought up. After the game on Friday the administrator for the evening knocked on the door and said that we had a visitor. Behind him was the IAHSAA director. He came walking in and discussed the game with us. One area that he is trying to emphasis is the sub procedure. This is the way he wants it:
  1. Sub checks into the game with the official scorer
  2. When the appropriate time come, the clock operator will buzz the horn
  3. The appropriate official will then blow their whistle and wave the subs into the game

He always wants the horn and always wants the whistle, in that order. My concern was that the clock operator may not always know the appropriate time to buzz the horn to let subs in but that's the way he wants it. His concern is that sometimes the officials let the subs in without properly checking into the game. I discussed it with my table on Tuesday and they have been told different things each game. I'm sure it's very confusing for them.

-Josh
Old Thu Feb 04, 2010, 10:12am
Official & Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmara View Post
...He always wants the horn and always wants the whistle, in that order. My concern was that the clock operator may not always know the appropriate time to buzz the horn to let subs in but that's the way he wants it. His concern is that sometimes the officials let the subs in without properly checking into the game. I discussed it with my table on Tuesday and they have been told different things each game. I'm sure it's very confusing for them.

-Josh
Thus my comment on unnecessary noise pollution. Isn't a horn AND whistle redundant/overkill? Is getting in the subs that big of a problem? *shrug* JMHO.
Old Thu Feb 04, 2010, 10:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLH17 View Post
Does anyone here, that uses a whistle when calling forth subs, use a "double or triple tweet"? Sometimes I do. Tacky?
In my opinion, yes. I tell the table to hit the horn on every sub even when I'm already looking right at them. No whistle is required and it goes against the mechanics manual to do so. I prefer to save my whistle for when it's really needed (fouls, violations and before throw-ins ONLY after a TO or long break).

EDIT:WHOA! I take it back, I just read this...

The official beckoning the subs in shall:
2. Sound his/her whistle, raise an open hand

Last edited by bbcof83; Thu Feb 04, 2010 at 10:25am. Reason: I was dead wrong
Old Thu Feb 04, 2010, 10:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Zebra View Post
Thus my comment on unnecessary noise pollution. Isn't a horn AND whistle redundant/overkill? Is getting in the subs that big of a problem? *shrug* JMHO.
I agree with you 100%. Just relaying what Iowa's authoritative figure wants. As we always say, when in Rome...

-Josh

Last edited by jdmara; Thu Feb 04, 2010 at 10:26am.
Old Thu Feb 04, 2010, 10:22am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
Jeff, same question I asked Bob, do recall if this was written anywhere? A small wager hangs in the balance.
It is not written because it is not required. That being said I am an IHSA Clinician with the state, so it really depends on who you work for. Some people like the whistle, others do not. But as you should know we do not use the NF Manuals so that information is not relevant to us necessarily unless otherwise stated.

Peace
Old Thu Feb 04, 2010, 10:25am
Official & Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmara View Post
As we always say, when in Rome...

-Josh
...tell Caesar he's full of it.