Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 04, 2010, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

Speaking of Puking...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
Ew.

Speaking of puking...mbyron's emoticon reminded me of what happened last night (tried to forget about it during lunch). We had a player lose his lunch as I was about to hand the ball for a throw-in. Second time I have seen this happen in a game. My thought process was: 1) Do we have DOG? No, 2) Does this player need to come out of the game? No blood and player was conscious and was otherwise fine. It happened right in front of the visiting bench and the kid wiped it up himself, threw the towel to his head coach, who side-stepped it and let it land underneath the bench. Gave us a good laugh as the visiting coach joked that the home coach should have caught the towel.

Filed under the list of weird things you see...
Old Thu Feb 04, 2010, 02:13pm
certified Hot Mom tester

I think this should be an injury timeout and you should proceed as such. BTW - did you ask his coach if he wanted to "throw in the towel"?
Old Thu Feb 04, 2010, 02:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
I think this should be an injury timeout and you should proceed as such. BTW - did you ask his coach if he wanted to "throw in the towel"?
Considered that as well, but since there was no need for the coach to come out and the kid was fine, could not find justification in that either. No real significant delay to clean it up (won't go into details). Visiting coach asked the player "sure you dont want to sit the rest of this one out?"
Old Thu Feb 04, 2010, 02:21pm
certified Hot Mom tester

If you're not going to call an injury TO, how do you account for the delay in the game? If it's not a TO of some kind, you should have put the ball on the floor and started your five count. I know no one is going to suggest you do that (me either) so you have to account for the delay somehow. Remember, just because you call an injury TO, it doesn't mean you have to beckon the coach or make the kid sit.
Old Thu Feb 04, 2010, 02:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If you're not going to call an injury TO, how do you account for the delay in the game? If it's not a TO of some kind, you should have put the ball on the floor and started your five count. I know no one is going to suggest you do that (me either) so you have to account for the delay somehow. Remember, just because you call an injury TO, it doesn't mean you have to beckon the coach or make the kid sit.
Don't know if it should be an injury timeout - that depends on the condition of the player. It certainly can be an "officials timeout" - same as we'd do to have perspiration, blood or other bodily fluid on the floor cleaned up that is a hazard to play.
Old Thu Feb 04, 2010, 02:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Point taken. A1 was actually inbounding and B1 was the player that puked. I think I said a subtle "my time" as I did not want to have a Stand By Me moment in the stands (you know, the pie eating contest scene...).
Old Thu Feb 04, 2010, 03:57pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTaylor View Post
Don't know if it should be an injury timeout - that depends on the condition of the player. It certainly can be an "officials timeout" - same as we'd do to have perspiration, blood or other bodily fluid on the floor cleaned up that is a hazard to play.
That's what I meant, Tim. I referred to it as an "injury" timeout because it injures me to delay the game for any reason.
Old Thu Feb 04, 2010, 06:10pm
Official Forum Member

Reminds me of the comedian who noted: The NY subway police can fine you $200 if you spit in the subway, but they don't do anything if you throw up.