The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   blowing whistle for subs (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/56902-blowing-whistle-subs.html)

fullor30 Wed Feb 03, 2010 05:18pm

blowing whistle for subs

Required? Of course, good habit as to have everyone's attention. Away from manual.

DLH17 Wed Feb 03, 2010 05:21pm

Thanks for starting a thread about this. It's something I've often thought about, as well. But, have never really discussed with colleagues.

I use the whistle in addition to holding up the palm when communicating "we have subs" to my partner(s).

Would love to hear what others have to say on the matter.

Bad Zebra Wed Feb 03, 2010 05:23pm

I'm going deaf already...

I don't whistle in subs unless I'm not sure I have my partners (or the subs') attention. Why add to the noise polution of a game? (I do NFHS games only)

Mark Padgett Wed Feb 03, 2010 05:32pm

"SUB!" (wave them in, they don't come), "SUB!" (wave them in, they don't come), "SUB!" (wave them in, they still don't come). "HEY - I'M NOT ORDERING A SANDWICH HERE"! :p

Ref_in_Alberta Wed Feb 03, 2010 05:32pm

It's a required procedure in our local & provincial associations. We use FIBA rules.

deecee Wed Feb 03, 2010 05:33pm

Pregame I always tell my partner that we will have a whistle on all subs. I inform the table that only use the horn to get our attention and not to hit the horn for all subs (only do so if we do not notice).

I as a habit always whistle in subs, and I do think its a good thing to do as it forces you to be more aware as well as gives the impression that you are covering everything you need to and are aware of what is going on.

jdw3018 Wed Feb 03, 2010 06:12pm

l hit the whistle almost all the time. Sometimes I may just say "Sub!" and wave them in if I am sure there's no chance of the ball becoming live.

According to the manual:

The official beckoning the substitutes should:

2. Sound his/her whistle, raise an open hand.

As always, check local listings.

DLH17 Wed Feb 03, 2010 06:16pm

Does anyone here, that uses a whistle when calling forth subs, use a "double or triple tweet"? Sometimes I do. Tacky?

jeffpea Wed Feb 03, 2010 06:19pm

a good referee will control the game thru a variety of ways: calls made/not made, positioning/physical presence, voice, and whistle.....not enough people use their whistle effectively....

I use my whistle on virtually every substitutution situation that I am responsible for.

grunewar Wed Feb 03, 2010 08:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdw3018 (Post 658233)
As always, check local listings.

We were told during our Fall League trng sessions NOT to do it as the table uses the horn/buzzer to signal us - agreed.

However, as I explained to the seasoned (and somewhat sometimes spoiled), V Officials, when you work JV and below (especially MS and Rec), you need to be ready to use the whistle more to control the game as the table sometimes isn't as alert or doesn't practice this technique as often as they should/we'd like.

When I need it, I use it. If I have a good table crew, I use it less.

Adam Wed Feb 03, 2010 08:14pm

I hit the whistle when I feel as if there's a need to get the attention of anyone (sub waiting, partner not looking, horn hasn't buzzed). I do it based on feel.

Nevadaref Wed Feb 03, 2010 09:16pm

The use of the whistle is required per the NFHS manual for bringing in substitutes.

The horn from the table is merely to alert the officials to the situation. It is not a signal to the substitute to enter.

The use of the whistle makes it clear to everyone that the sub may now enter. It is cleaner.

Even the NCAA is moving this direction. The NCAAW made the whistle a required mechanic a couple of years ago.

fullor30 Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:32pm

2.4.6 F manual.

I was chastised by partner for not blowing in subs a few weeks ago. I thought I always did. Just a quick toot should suffice if everyone is already paying attention.

fullor30 Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DLH17 (Post 658234)
Does anyone here, that uses a whistle when calling forth subs, use a "double or triple tweet"? Sometimes I do. Tacky?

Yep.

Adam Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DLH17 (Post 658234)

Only if they don't respond to my initial whistle, but not normally.