The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 04, 2010, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
You might wish to consult the NFHS Rules Book and Case Book. You hold a mistaken belief about traveling.
I wouldn't be at all surprised if I do, but I am not identifying it based on your comments. Your case book quotes agree with my "belief." What am I missing?
Old Thu Feb 04, 2010, 12:55pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabnut View Post
Sounds like your defining a travel as sliding across the floor with possession? Interesting part of the discussion here has to do with the slipperiness of the floor. Is that the player's fault? Being a relatively new, I have been pursuing this question with our varsity refs, and most won't call it. Standing up, Yes. Rolling over, yes. Sliding, no.
1) Whether the floor is slippery or not is completely irrelevant.
2) And if your varsity refs are calling players for rolling over on the floor while having possession of the ball, then your varsity refs may be wrong also. It's only illegal to roll over if that occurs after the player has stopped sliding. That's what Nevada was pointing out.
Old Thu Feb 04, 2010, 07:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Isn't that covered in 4.44.5 Situation A, part (b)?
I thought so, and the way I read it is that it would be legal to do this. However, some of these earlier posts made me think people were saying no.

Am I correct that this would be legal to control a ball while diving or in the air and come to the ground? Or are you calling this a violation?
Old Thu Feb 04, 2010, 07:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Ringo View Post
Am I correct that this would be legal to control a ball while diving or in the air and come to the ground? Or are you calling this a violation?
It is illegal to control the ball in the air then come to the floor.

It is legal to control the ball while on the ground and slide or roll due to momentum.
Old Fri Feb 05, 2010, 09:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw3018 View Post
It's illegal to hold the ball and then fallto the floor. It's legal to dribble (the other part of "control") the ball during this action. And, yes, I've seen it happen.
Old Fri Feb 05, 2010, 09:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
It's illegal to hold the ball and then fallto the floor. It's legal to dribble (the other part of "control") the ball during this action. And, yes, I've seen it happen.
Thank you for clarifying my poor choice of words.

I agree.
Old Fri Feb 05, 2010, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw3018 View Post

It is legal to control the ball while on the ground and slide or roll due to momentum.
Thanks. That makes complete sense to me now. Sorry, was confused on the different wordings.
Old Fri Feb 05, 2010, 10:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpea View Post
read the OP again....."A1 dives for the ball, gains possession and slides across the floor."...sounds to me like he DID gain possession and THEN slides across the floor....easy one...tweet...travel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
As worded, I see it as vague. For the record, I agree with you. If he gained possession airborne, it's a travel.

If I can't tell which happened first as I'm watching, it's legal.
I was somewhat vague when describing the play because it was not clear that the player gained possession while airborne or on the floor. When a player is going for a loose ball, we tend to give the player the benefit of the doubt in terms of whether the player is airborne or already on the floor.

In order for me to call a violation or a foul, I MUST see the violation or foul. In this instance, I felt as though there was sufficient doubt. Therefore, I let the play go.
Old Sat Feb 06, 2010, 12:40am
Official Forum Member

In order for me to call a violation or a foul, I MUST see the violation or foul. In this instance, I felt as though there was sufficient doubt. Therefore, I let the play go.[/QUOTE]

If the player gained control and then slid....NO CALL. Momentum CANNOT be ruled a travel....A player can slide across the floor with the ball for any distance if momentum carries them...with no penalty. The fans will go nuts, but this is NOT a travel.
Old Sat Feb 06, 2010, 10:40am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by refiator View Post
If the player gained control and then slid....NO CALL. Momentum CANNOT be ruled a travel....A player can slide across the floor with the ball for any distance if momentum carries them...with no penalty. The fans will go nuts, but this is NOT a travel.
We're not talking about calling the travel based on the slide, we all know that part is legal; assuming the player gained control while on the floor. A player who controls the ball while airborne is subject to the same restrictions as a player standing; he may not touch the floor with any part of the body other than the hands or feet.
Old Sat Feb 06, 2010, 03:19pm
Official Forum Member

Exactly...

No different than if a player jumps for a rebound, controls the ball while airborne and falls to the floor while still in control.