The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 03, 2010, 12:58pm
Official Forum Member

Violation or no call.....

Boys varsity game. A1 is dribbling the ball up the court while under defensive pressure from B1. A1 gets his feet tangled up and begins to fall. A1 dives for the ball, gains possession and slides across the floor.

Travel? No call? Why?
Old Wed Feb 03, 2010, 01:01pm
Official Forum Member

A1 lost control, can not travel without control.
Old Wed Feb 03, 2010, 01:01pm
Official Forum Member

Did he regain possession while in the air or on the floor?

If in the air and then went to the floor, travel. If on the ground when he gains possession, no violation.
Old Wed Feb 03, 2010, 01:03pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw3018 View Post
Did he regain possession while in the air or on the floor?

If in the air and then went to the floor, travel. If on the ground when he gains possession, no violation.
werd
Old Wed Feb 03, 2010, 06:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMHCoachNRef View Post
A1 dives for the ball, gains possession and slides across the floor.
based on your description above....yep!...travel
Old Wed Feb 03, 2010, 07:06pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpea View Post
based on your description above....yep!...travel
Only if you're interpreting it as having him gain possession prior to being on the floor, as stated above. Reading the original post, I can't tell if that was the case or not.
Old Wed Feb 03, 2010, 08:14pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Only if you're interpreting it as having him gain possession prior to being on the floor, as stated above. Reading the original post, I can't tell if that was the case or not.
I actually read the opposite of what he did, assuming the player gained possession on the floor.
Old Wed Feb 03, 2010, 08:23pm
Official Forum Member

Travel. Gained possession.
Old Wed Feb 03, 2010, 10:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
read the OP again....."A1 dives for the ball, gains possession and slides across the floor."...sounds to me like he DID gain possession and THEN slides across the floor....easy one...tweet...travel.
Old Wed Feb 03, 2010, 11:01pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpea View Post
read the OP again....."A1 dives for the ball, gains possession and slides across the floor."...sounds to me like he DID gain possession and THEN slides across the floor....easy one...tweet...travel.
As worded, I see it as vague. For the record, I agree with you. If he gained possession airborne, it's a travel.

If I can't tell which happened first as I'm watching, it's legal.
Old Wed Feb 03, 2010, 11:55pm
Official Forum Member

Sounds like your defining a travel as sliding across the floor with possession? Interesting part of the discussion here has to do with the slipperiness of the floor. Is that the player's fault? Being a relatively new, I have been pursuing this question with our varsity refs, and most won't call it. Standing up, Yes. Rolling over, yes. Sliding, no.
Old Thu Feb 04, 2010, 12:01am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabnut View Post
Sounds like your defining a travel as sliding across the floor with possession? Interesting part of the discussion here has to do with the slipperiness of the floor. Is that the player's fault? Being a relatively new, I have been pursuing this question with our varsity refs, and most won't call it. Standing up, Yes. Rolling over, yes. Sliding, no.
They shouldn't call it either. Sliding on the floor is specifically allowed by rule, as long as the player was already on the floor when they gained possession.

The travel isn't for sliding, it's for touching the floor with any part of the body besides the hand or foot. The exception is for when possession is gained while already down on the floor. At that point, they can slide and roll as far as momentum takes them. After the momentum is over, however, they may not roll or attempt to get up unless they start dribbling first.
Old Thu Feb 04, 2010, 03:16am
Official Forum Member

It is known, under the rules, that a player may dive for a loose ball, gain possesion on the floor and slide or roll until momentum stops without violation.

However, what if a player dives for a loose ball that is bouncing and secures the ball while in the air and then hits the floor and slides or rolls (momentum) ... is this a violation?
Old Thu Feb 04, 2010, 04:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabnut View Post
You might wish to consult the NFHS Rules Book and Case Book. You hold a mistaken belief about traveling.

4-44-5 . . . A player holding the ball:
a. May not touch the floor with a knee or any other part of the body other than hand or foot.
b. After gaining control while on the floor and touching with other than hand
or foot, may not attempt to get up or stand.

4.44.5 SITUATION A: Is it traveling if A1 falls to the floor: (a) while holding the
ball; or (b) after being airborne to catch a pass or control a rebound? RULING:
Yes in both (a) and (b).

4.44.5 SITUATION B: A1 dives for a loose ball and slides after gaining control.
A1 is in a position either on his/her back or stomach. What can A1 do without
violating? RULING: A1 may pass, shoot, start a dribble or call a time-out. Once
A1 has the ball and is no longer sliding, he/she may not roll over. If flat on his/her
back, A1 may sit up without violating. Any attempt to get to the feet is traveling
unless A1 is dribbling. It is also traveling if A1 puts the ball on the floor, then rises
and is first to touch the ball. (4-44-5b)
Old Thu Feb 04, 2010, 04:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Ringo View Post
However, what if a player dives for a loose ball that is bouncing and secures the ball while in the air and then hits the floor and slides or rolls (momentum) ... is this a violation?
Isn't that covered in 4.44.5 Situation A, part (b)?