The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Nov 08, 2007, 01:59pm
Raida357

Throw-In Violation - When to Call?

In the past week, I've had two situations occur which are similar to NFHS 9.2.2 Situation C. They occur as follows:

After a made basket by Team B, A1 grabs the ball and moves towards the end line as if to perform a throw-in. A1 never legally steps out of bounds before passing the ball to A2. A2 then begins to dribble up court.

Do I have an immediate violation or do I continue my 5-second count? Would there be a difference if in (A), Team A continues to play as if the ball was legally put in play and in (B), A1 yells to A2 to come back and throw the ball in?

In game 1, I continued my 5-second count. Game 2 had my partner blow the whistle immediately. Looking at the case book ruling for 9.2.2 (Sit. C), I would say that I was correct to continue the 5-second count. The exception would be if Team A makes a basket or Team B gains control prior to the 5-seconds elapsing, at which point I would call the violation even though 5 seconds had not elapsed. That being said, I won’t be surprised at all if you guys tell me I am way off base!

P.S. I'm new to the H.S. level of officiating, so I probably will have a bunch more questions for everyone.

Last edited by Raida357; Thu Nov 08, 2007 at 02:01pm.
Old Thu Nov 08, 2007, 02:16pm
Ch1town

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raida357
In the past week, I've had two situations occur which are similar to NFHS 9.2.2 Situation C. They occur as follows:

After a made basket by Team B, A1 grabs the ball and moves towards the end line as if to perform a throw-in. A1 never legally steps out of bounds before passing the ball to A2. A2 then begins to dribble up court.

Do I have an immediate violation or do I continue my 5-second count?

P.S. I'm new to the H.S. level of officiating, so I probably will have a bunch more questions for everyone.
That was a tough read, I'll attempt to answer what I could comprehend.

The penalty for 9-2-2 is that the ball becomes dead when the violation or technical foul occurs.

Welcome to the board!
Old Thu Nov 08, 2007, 02:24pm
Official Forum Member

Welcome aboard Raida 357- Do you have change for fifteen cents?

(1) What level? Sometimes at the pee-wee level players are designated on who takes the ball oob

(2) Ask yourself did the player step completely out of bounds? If not blow the whistle and have them complete the throw-in

Sometimes players may get confused at the lower level. Take note and learn from it.
Old Thu Nov 08, 2007, 02:26pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rpirtle Send a message via Yahoo to rpirtle
I'd allow the thrower to throw the ball even though he / she never got OOB. And since I started my 5-second count when the ball was at his / her disposal I would continue my throw-in count. I'd try to help them understand that they didn't complete the throw-in. But I might have a 5-second violation before they can recover and do it over. But that's just me...Good question...
Old Thu Nov 08, 2007, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

Raida357 - welcome to the forum. Hopefully you'll learn a lot while you're here. (Some of it may actually be basketball-related. )

What level did this happen?

The reason I ask is that at lower levels, such as grade school, I would be more apt to believe it was simple confusion by the young players. Therefore, I would blow my whistle, tell them they need to do it the right way, and give them back the ball for the throw-in. If they continue to do it, I would call the violation.

At the higher levels (HS and beyond), I would treat it a little differently. At that level the players should be well aware of the rules, so as soon as A2 starts dribbling up court, I would call the violation.

(Used with permission.)
Old Thu Nov 08, 2007, 02:41pm
Official Forum Member

Welcome and good question.
I consider this an immediate violation. It is no different than the thrower-in being OOB and stepping inbounds before he passes the ball; a violation.

As others have mentioned, I believe you should consider the level of play and use common sense in all situations.
Old Thu Nov 08, 2007, 02:42pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy
At the higher levels (HS and beyond), I would treat it a little differently. At that level the players should be well aware of the rules, so as soon as A2 starts dribbling up court, I would call the violation.
Of course. You call the violation when it happens. If the FED wanted us to delay the call, they'd have written something into the rules a la FT violations by the defense.
Old Thu Nov 08, 2007, 02:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Do I have an immediate violation or do I continue my 5-second count? Would there be a difference if in (A), Team A continues to play as if the ball was legally put in play and in (B), A1 yells to A2 to come back and throw the ball in?

In game 1, I continued my 5-second count. Game 2 had my partner blow the whistle immediately. Looking at the case book ruling for 9.2.2 (Sit. C), I would say that I was correct to continue the 5-second count. The exception would be if Team A makes a basket or Team B gains control prior to the 5-seconds elapsing, at which point I would call the violation even though 5 seconds had not elapsed. That being said, I won’t be surprised at all if you guys tell me I am way off base!

This play was discussed on this (iirc) forum several years ago. The regulars split into three camps: (a) immediate violation; (b) continue the 5-secpnd count; (c) do-over.

After our discussions, FED issued the case play 9.2.2C (although the number may have been different) to show that those in camp (a) were correct.
Old Thu Nov 08, 2007, 02:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Of course. You call the violation when it happens. If the FED wanted us to delay the call, they'd have written something into the rules a la FT violations by the defense.
Ooh...I love it when you talk French to me.

(Used with permission.)
Old Thu Nov 08, 2007, 02:51pm
Official Forum Member

As soon as it is apparent that Team A is not going to make a correct throw-in, call the violation. Example A1 not completely oob throws to A2 who being dribbling up the court. Call it then and there.
Old Thu Nov 08, 2007, 04:20pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy
Ooh...I love it when you talk French to me.
Not me.
Old Thu Nov 08, 2007, 04:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
Not me.
Efficiency; I love being able to get two people with one dig.

(Used with permission.)
Old Thu Nov 08, 2007, 08:42pm
Raida357

Quote:
Originally Posted by truerookie
(1) What level? Sometimes at the pee-wee level players are designated on who takes the ball oob
Both occurred during 8th grade games, late in the season.
Old Thu Nov 08, 2007, 08:46pm
Raida357

Thanks to everyone for the quick response! It looks like the majority say blow the whistle immediately.

However, I'm still a bit confused. The case play for 9.2.2c indicates the made basket should be cancelled. If the violation were whistled immediately, I don't see how a basket could have been scored. That's the root of my confusion. The other part that gets me is that all the violations/penalties seem to reference a player who is has obtained legal throw-in position, and in this case the player has not yet done that.
Old Fri Nov 09, 2007, 08:58am
Official Forum Member

Question

Quote:
Thanks to everyone for the quick response! It looks like the majority say blow the whistle immediately.

However, I'm still a bit confused. The case play for 9.2.2c indicates the made basket should be cancelled. If the violation were whistled immediately, I don't see how a basket could have been scored. That's the root of my confusion. The other part that gets me is that all the violations/penalties seem to reference a player who is has obtained legal throw-in position, and in this case the player has not yet done that.
Is this the root of your confusion - the fact that the situation makes mention of two made baskets?
The made basket that is cancelled is the goal that the situation says that Team B scores at the end of the fast break following the illegal throw in and prior to whistle being sounded for the violation. The made basket that Team A scores at the beginning of the situation is legal.