Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 08, 2010, 10:31pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to StripesOhio
Official in stands yelling

Looking for some input here:

There is certified official who travels to games in our area and sits in the stands. I'm not sure if he actually officiates any games or if just has his certification. He is also a member of my association.

While he is at games, he loves to bark and scream at calls (or no calls) made by officials on the floor. He has spoke up in meetings about what he does. He also asks about situations he sees and asks for clarification at said association meetings.

Tonight, I'm working a JVG game and my partner and I both called a very good game. We had no complaints from coaches or players (other than small questions about calls---no problems) in what was a fairly sloppy game.

Now, the guy mentioned above so happens to be at this game. And I hear him roaring from the stands most of the game. At one point, he was screaming so loud I looked at the home teams coach and put my hand up (as to say enough coach.) Immediately as I did this I realized it wasn't him who had yelled. As I passed him next time down the floor I told him I realized after I put a hand up that it wasn't him. He said no big deal.

Now, my question is this.

Is this sort of behavior tolerable from a certified official in the stands who is so vocal? Isn't his screaming and complaining bad for those on the floor? (not doing any favors)

My gut feeling is next time I see him at an association meeting that I'll politely tell him, "Next time I see you at a game I'm working and you are being overly loud and critical of the officials I'll have you ejected from the building." Hell, maybe I'll just report him to the State office.

Thoughts...
Old Fri Jan 08, 2010, 10:41pm
This IS My Social Life

Absolutely NOT!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StripesOhio View Post
Is this sort of behavior tolerable from a certified official in the stands who is so vocal?

If it is as you've described, report this guy to your association, your assignor, your state, whatever, that he may be dealt with.
If it is as you've described, this is not a problem of yours that you should feel compelled to deal with yourself.
Again, if it is as you've described, this man must be dealt with in the most strict way possible by those in authority.
Intolerable.
You can't be the only one who senses this, can you? What are you fellow officials saying?

Last edited by Freddy; Fri Jan 08, 2010 at 10:43pm.
Old Fri Jan 08, 2010, 10:42pm
Official Forum Member

IMO you would treat him like any other fan. If the actions would cause you to have game management deal with any other fan then I would treat this guy the same as that.
Old Fri Jan 08, 2010, 10:43pm
M.A.S.H.

While I doubt your State office cares, your local association should. In my opinion, that type of behavior is not tolerable. Officials are held to a higher standard and should know how to act.
Old Fri Jan 08, 2010, 10:45pm
Official Forum Member

I think other officials just kind of blow him off, or officials who don't know who he is (outside the association) probably just ignore him.

I think those of us who know of him just sort of laugh it off. But I agree, officials are held to a higher standard and I just don't think this kind of behavior is acceptable.

Tonight was the first night I've officiated that he has been at a game.
Old Fri Jan 08, 2010, 10:47pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
What a Jerk!

Report him. Don't let him walk all over his "fellow officials." (if he even is one).
Old Fri Jan 08, 2010, 10:47pm
Official Forum Member

This guy is no official.
Old Fri Jan 08, 2010, 10:49pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs up

I think you should just take him out and shoot him.
Old Fri Jan 08, 2010, 10:55pm
Official Forum Member

Ya know, the more I read responses the more ticked off I get.
Old Fri Jan 08, 2010, 11:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Ya know, the more I read responses the more ticked off I get.
Good.
Old Fri Jan 08, 2010, 11:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1 View Post
While I doubt your State office cares,
My State office cares. A few years ago there was a Football official who had refereed the State Final in early December. In late December he was overly vocal at a Basketball game when his child was playing. His behavior was reported to his association, the State got wind of it and stepped in and ordered a 1 year suspension.
Old Fri Jan 08, 2010, 11:59pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ref2coach View Post
My State office cares. A few years ago there was a Football official who had refereed the State Final in early December. In late December he was overly vocal at a Basketball game when his child was playing. His behavior was reported to his association, the State got wind of it and stepped in and ordered a 1 year suspension.
Dang, +1.
Old Sat Jan 09, 2010, 01:05am
Official Forum Member

Next time, have him removed. Just on principle. Stop the game and let everybody watch as he leaves.
Old Sat Jan 09, 2010, 01:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Looking for some input here:

There is certified official who travels to games in our area and sits in the stands. I'm not sure if he actually officiates any games or if just has his certification. He is also a member of my association.

While he is at games, he loves to bark and scream at calls (or no calls) made by officials on the floor. He has spoke up in meetings about what he does. He also asks about situations he sees and asks for clarification at said association meetings.

Tonight, I'm working a JVG game and my partner and I both called a very good game. We had no complaints from coaches or players (other than small questions about calls---no problems) in what was a fairly sloppy game.

Now, the guy mentioned above so happens to be at this game. And I hear him roaring from the stands most of the game. At one point, he was screaming so loud I looked at the home teams coach and put my hand up (as to say enough coach.) Immediately as I did this I realized it wasn't him who had yelled. As I passed him next time down the floor I told him I realized after I put a hand up that it wasn't him. He said no big deal.

Now, my question is this.

Is this sort of behavior tolerable from a certified official in the stands who is so vocal? Isn't his screaming and complaining bad for those on the floor? (not doing any favors)

My gut feeling is next time I see him at an association meeting that I'll politely tell him, "Next time I see you at a game I'm working and you are being overly loud and critical of the officials I'll have you ejected from the building." Hell, maybe I'll just report him to the State office.

Thoughts...
Stripes,
I know an official from Central Ohio who was required to write a documented letter of apology to each of the officials in a similar situation. He refused. He was subsequently suspended until the letter was written.
Old Sat Jan 09, 2010, 01:40am
Official Forum Member

This guy would not be around anymore (officiating) if he was in our association.