View Single Post
Old Fri Jan 08, 2010, 10:31pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to StripesOhio
Official in stands yelling

Looking for some input here:

There is certified official who travels to games in our area and sits in the stands. I'm not sure if he actually officiates any games or if just has his certification. He is also a member of my association.

While he is at games, he loves to bark and scream at calls (or no calls) made by officials on the floor. He has spoke up in meetings about what he does. He also asks about situations he sees and asks for clarification at said association meetings.

Tonight, I'm working a JVG game and my partner and I both called a very good game. We had no complaints from coaches or players (other than small questions about calls---no problems) in what was a fairly sloppy game.

Now, the guy mentioned above so happens to be at this game. And I hear him roaring from the stands most of the game. At one point, he was screaming so loud I looked at the home teams coach and put my hand up (as to say enough coach.) Immediately as I did this I realized it wasn't him who had yelled. As I passed him next time down the floor I told him I realized after I put a hand up that it wasn't him. He said no big deal.

Now, my question is this.

Is this sort of behavior tolerable from a certified official in the stands who is so vocal? Isn't his screaming and complaining bad for those on the floor? (not doing any favors)

My gut feeling is next time I see him at an association meeting that I'll politely tell him, "Next time I see you at a game I'm working and you are being overly loud and critical of the officials I'll have you ejected from the building." Hell, maybe I'll just report him to the State office.

Thoughts...