Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 09, 2010, 11:58pm
Official Forum Member

During the meeting
Quote:
Originally Posted by StripesOhio View Post
I absolutely would be diplomatic. I might even ignore him and ask it in a round-about way.

Such as:

"Say, I'm curious what opinions in this room are of other officials sitting in the stands and be overly vocal."
After the meeting
Quote:
I may personally walk up to the guy and just simply say that next time he's at a game I'm doing I'll eject him if he's riding me from the stands.
Old Thu Jan 14, 2010, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to StripesOhio
So, had the association meeting last night.

Brought it up with the secretary and he laughed....third time this week he's heard from somebody about this guy. He brought it up in meeting and everybody knew who he was talking about.

This guy was NOT in attendance.

The secretary emphasized being respectful to the brethren of officials. He also said that any action we deemed necessary to correct it is acceptable.

Not the aggressive approach I wanted to hear but a good start. He said he would send an email out about respecting others and such. So we will see how it goes. But for me personally, it's zero tolerance. At least I do have the backing of my association secretary.
Old Thu Jan 14, 2010, 01:22pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:

Brought it up with the secretary and he laughed....third time this week he's heard from somebody about this guy. He brought it up in meeting and everybody knew who he was talking about.

The secretary emphasized being respectful to the brethren of officials. He also said that any action we deemed necessary to correct it is acceptable.

Not the aggressive approach I wanted to hear but a good start. He said he would send an email out about respecting others and such. So we will see how it goes. But for me personally, it's zero tolerance. At least I do have the backing of my association secretary.
Thanks for the follow-up.

I'm sure you'll let us know if this saga has a Chapter 3!
Old Thu Jan 14, 2010, 02:14pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:

Sounds like the race is ON! Who can toss this guy first?

Maybe you can put in an amendment to your bylaws such as "Any official who is a member of this association who is removed from a facility due to unsportsmanlike conduct shall pay a fine of $X for the first occurrence, $XX for the 2nd occurrence, and shall be removed from the association's membership list for the 3rd occurrence."
Old Thu Jan 14, 2010, 02:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Brought it up with the secretary and he laughed.....
...can you see JR laughing at something like this?

I gotta think a better assignor would not make light of this.
Richland, WA
Old Thu Jan 14, 2010, 02:35pm
Official Forum Member

He's not an assignor, just the secretary of the association. He wasn't laughing at the situation, just laughing I think that he had heard it a couple of times already this week.
Old Thu Jan 14, 2010, 04:00pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by RookieDude View Post
...can you see JR laughing at something like this?
In my association, it's posted as being an absolute no-no in our code of conduct and also in our bylaws. If you're caught crapping on a fellow official publicly, the first offense is an immediate indefinite suspension with no warning(length determined by executive). The second offense is Hasta La Vista and don't let the door hit your azz on the way out. And it doesn't matter whether the public criticism was valid or not either; you keep your problems in-house and deal with them.

An officials' association is no different than a crew out on the floor. One person can make the whole association/crew look bad. And if we can't turn our back on one of your own, then we all have major, major problems.

If I was in the position of having to deal with that type of conduct, it would have been dealt with the first time that I heard of it. I sureashell wouldn't wait until I'd heard about it 3 times and then decide to do something about it.

We all may be amateur officials but that doesn't mean that we can't act professionally.
Old Thu Jan 14, 2010, 04:16pm
Official Forum Member

I wouldn't say we are amateurs, we do take classes and hold permits. I think that makes us professional.

I agree, no 3 strikes. One time deal.

One thing they brought up at our meeting was officials who are parents. When they sit in the stands and a call is made, people in the crowd turn and look at the parent/official and ask questions.

Discussion ensued how to deal with that as well.
Old Thu Jan 14, 2010, 04:23pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
I wouldn't say we are amateurs, we do take classes and hold permits. I think that makes us professional.

One thing they brought up at our meeting was officials who are parents. When they sit in the stands and a call is made, people in the crowd turn and look at the parent/official and ask questions.

Well, get to work on proposing the amendment, then. If it is not already addressed in the bylaws. It may be something that goes to the Executive Board and then comes out for a vote by the membership. But, if there is nothing in the bylaws, it allows for "We can't do anything" as a response. If it is in the bylaws, then you follow the procedure outlined. [Which should also be provided along with the amendment.] Whether it is 1 time & yer out or something different is not material. Just make sure you get something done. Sounds like others would support it.
Old Fri Jan 15, 2010, 02:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
In my association, it's posted as being an absolute no-no in our code of conduct and also in our bylaws. If you're caught crapping on a fellow official publicly, the first offense is an immediate indefinite suspension with no warning(length determined by executive). The second offense is Hasta La Vista and don't let the door hit your azz on the way out. And it doesn't matter whether the public criticism was valid or not either; you keep your problems in-house and deal with them.

An officials' association is no different than a crew out on the floor. One person can make the whole association/crew look bad. And if we can't turn our back on one of your own, then we all have major, major problems.

If I was in the position of having to deal with that type of conduct, it would have been dealt with the first time that I heard of it. I sureashell wouldn't wait until I'd heard about it 3 times and then decide to do something about it.

We all may be amateur officials but that doesn't mean that we can't act professionally.
I don't think that central Ohio has a specific rule in any of our associations. At the same time, I do know that an official I know had to send a letter of apology to an official for criticizing him in public. This official CONTINUES to be critical of officials during his son's games. The only thing that saves him today is that FEW officials KNOW he is an official.
Old Fri Jan 15, 2010, 02:52am
Official Forum Member

We had an incidence like this where an official from a local association was doing something like your incident at a game that was being officiated by referees in another association's location. His association was contacted and he was reprimanded by his associations ethics committee. He was required to send an apology to both officials and the coaches in attendance. He lost games for one week and was placed on probation for the coming season. Had he not complied with the apologies he would have lost his entire schedule and could not be a member at any state association.
Old Fri Jan 15, 2010, 10:27am
Official Forum Member

You know, after reading some of your responses, I feel lucky. I first started officiating about 6 years ago and this was the same season my sister played on the varsity team as a Freshman. Anytime I was watching games I would be a screamer with my fellow fan-mates. The worse I got was just my fellow officials coming up to me (during meetings or at the bar) and saying "hey, knock it off".

I'm not a screamer anymore, and I still go to my sister's colleges games. If I see something that I disagree with, I keep my mouth shut. I also no longer sit by anyone who I know is a screamer, just so I won't get the influence to scream again. But I will say this much. Looking back, I would've deserved to write a letter, get suspended, or any of the other penalties that has been listed in these replies.

Stripes, if I was in your situation, I would definitely report it to your local association's president, and write a letter to your state's office.
Old Fri Jan 15, 2010, 10:30am
Keeper of the HAMMER

At this stage, if you see it again at your game, have him removed and then send the appropriate communication to your association leadership.
Old Fri Jan 15, 2010, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I was the brother official when my sister played varsity high school. Same thing would happen, if an official made a call that the other players' relatives didn't agree on, all eyes were on my. Sometimes I'd explain it, sometimes I'd just shrug my shoulders.
Old Fri Jan 15, 2010, 11:45am
MABO Member

This may not and probably isnt the same type of situation you had but, as an official with children playing ball on competative teams, I felt a responsibility to teach them the rules of the game. They helped me to study and review the rules and interpretations each season. To me this is not a bad plan. Now when they are playing they know the rules and when calls are incorrect or obvious (to them) and do not getting any whistles, they would look to me. Sometimes I would to direct them to continue playing like they have been taught and they will get the right calls.

Theres the hitch that comment can be construed as trying to show up the official. Right or wrong it was not intended that way.

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.