The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 07, 2010, 03:39am
Official Forum Member

I believe that one of the officials tucked the basketball under his shirt before explaining the situation to the coaches.
Old Thu Jan 07, 2010, 04:52am
Official Forum Member

All the radio stations in Houston were all over this today. As far as I'm concerned, not much we can do from an officiating standpoint. Like others have pointed us, Yates was forced to put in their starters after the "scuffle" happened.

I'd be interested to see what the officials who worked the game thought about the game.
Old Thu Jan 07, 2010, 05:38am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
I don't see that in "the" rulebook!
LOL!!!!

Peace
Old Thu Jan 07, 2010, 06:39am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
I believe that one of the officials tucked the basketball under his shirt before explaining the situation to the coaches.
I noticed that too! Yikes! Guess he was doing his part to keep the score down.

I am in the camp with believing this score is rediculous and this is totally unsportsmanlike behavior.

We've all refereed blowouts, but this is stupid. And yes, we have no control over it......

I too believe there is no need to press, no need to fast break, etc. There are things that a team can work on in these situations that won't necessarily run up the score this much.

I acknowledge the coach played his subs and I realize you've got to get your starters playing time, but what do these kids learn about life? When you're a big bully you kick people when they're down? Sad.
Old Thu Jan 07, 2010, 08:13am
Official Forum Member

I see both sides of the story from my foxhole. However, I do believe playing the game is like calling the game. You cannot take a play off. Things could have been done differently. However, the losing team could have taking care of the ball better too. No win situation across the board.
Old Thu Jan 07, 2010, 09:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chseagle View Post
Let me guess throughout the game the team that won was running a full court press defense throughout the game, & the only way the opposing team could easily get the ball in would of been to run a 2-person OOB.
Why would you guess that? Only because you've "discovered" this "new 2-person OOB" throw-in?

Quote:
Having so many players DQ'd, from each team, shouldn't that of ended the game?
It shouldn't OF anything. Time to give back your GED.
Old Thu Jan 07, 2010, 10:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Time to give back your GED.
Ouch...
Richland, WA
Old Thu Jan 07, 2010, 10:58am
Courageous When Prudent

I resemble this thread: A game you never want to have
Old Thu Jan 07, 2010, 12:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chseagle View Post
Let me guess throughout the game the team that won was running a full court press defense throughout the game, & the only way the opposing team could easily get the ball in would of been to run a 2-person OOB.

Having so many players DQ'd, from each team, shouldn't that of ended the game?
've definition

've (v, əv)
have: used in contractions, often informally we've seen it; where've you been?

of definition

of (uv)

1. from; specif.,
>>>> 1. derived or coming from men of Ohio...
Old Thu Jan 07, 2010, 12:58pm
Official Forum Member

I believe is comes out to roughly 5.3 ppm (points per minute). Wow.

Texas is 8 minute quarters right?
Old Thu Jan 07, 2010, 02:50pm
Official Forum Member

I worked a girls varsity game last night, defending 4A (largest classification) state champs (and still loaded, though their best player was injured and only 7 of 10 players dressed because of injuries) vs a very overmatched 0-13 team. Surprisingly close for the first 5 or so very ugly minutes, then the better team steadily pulled away...56-17 at half, 78-25 after 3 quarters, no press in the 2nd half. In the 4th quarter the winning coach told her girls no more fast breaks, work only on half court set plays with multiple passes. At 98-30 with 1:17 remaining it was obvious they would break the century mark. Instead, coming out of a timeout she had her girls work on a half court offense that stressed inside/outside passing; they ran the clock out without ever taking another shot.

I thought it was a class coaching act because she kept her girls working hard on basics, good defense and offensive areas to improve on while not belittling the losing team (who played hard throughout, BTW) by just pulling back and dribbling/passing around the perimeter or running up the score (they could've easily scored 120-130 had they wanted to). It was neither a pretty game nor fun to work, but it could have been soooooooo much worse.
Old Thu Jan 07, 2010, 04:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndog89 View Post
I worked a girls varsity game last night, defending 4A (largest classification) state champs (and still loaded, though their best player was injured and only 7 of 10 players dressed because of injuries) vs a very overmatched 0-13 team. Surprisingly close for the first 5 or so very ugly minutes, then the better team steadily pulled away...56-17 at half, 78-25 after 3 quarters, no press in the 2nd half. In the 4th quarter the winning coach told her girls no more fast breaks, work only on half court set plays with multiple passes. At 98-30 with 1:17 remaining it was obvious they would break the century mark. Instead, coming out of a timeout she had her girls work on a half court offense that stressed inside/outside passing; they ran the clock out without ever taking another shot.

I thought it was a class coaching act because she kept her girls working hard on basics, good defense and offensive areas to improve on while not belittling the losing team (who played hard throughout, BTW) by just pulling back and dribbling/passing around the perimeter or running up the score (they could've easily scored 120-130 had they wanted to). It was neither a pretty game nor fun to work, but it could have been soooooooo much worse.
My first year as a head coach, we gave up 100 a couple (three?) times. It's not a traumatic experience or anything. If the opposing coach ended up giving a live interview on ESPN the next day because the blogosphere had run with it, that probably would've hurt more! We were young, learning to play pressure defense and handle pressure defense. So when we were down 80-30 to start the 4th, we kept playing hard, playing full-court defenses, and improving. Two years later we made a nice run into the playoffs and set a school record for wins.

I think these things get way overblown. I agree a coach who has his team hold the ball with 98 and a minute left is classy. But I don't think that necessarily means that a coach who allows his team to score there is a jerk.
Old Thu Jan 07, 2010, 04:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by showbo View Post
I believe is comes out to roughly 5.3 ppm (points per minute). Wow.

Texas is 8 minute quarters right?
Yes, Texas plays with 8 minute quarters.
Old Thu Jan 07, 2010, 05:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndog89 View Post

Reminds me very much of a game I had 2-3 years ago that had a different outcome. One team was getting outplayed from start to finish and the stronger team was still playing hard when, with about 2 minutes to go and the score 98 to something a lot less, the visiting/loosing team calls a timeout.

The visiting coach gave them a challenge to just hold the ball for the rest of the game and not let the other team get a chance to make 100.

They were doing a pretty good job of it for about 75 seconds when a pass got picked off out top...off the other way with the guy who threw the pass in chase. As the shooter is going up for shot, he gets hit hard (and makes the shot). Unfortunately, he didn't get up for about 5 minutes...he did eventually get up and walk off.

We counted the bucket, shot 2 FT for the intentional (excessive contact...the defender was actually going for the ball but just overly aggressive).

1 of 2 FTs made...final score...101-3x.

I'm guessing that it was the last time the winning team played a blowout like that (and since they're really good, they've probably been in several).

Last edited by Camron Rust; Thu Jan 07, 2010 at 05:26pm.
Old Thu Jan 07, 2010, 06:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Why would you guess that? Only because you've "discovered" this "new 2-person OOB" throw-in?

It shouldn't OF anything. Time to give back your GED.
Actually I was guessing that cause of watching them at the T-Mobile Invite.

Below, is a link that shows the stats for the Mighty Lions so far this year.

High School Sports | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

They won 1 game this year by only one point while participating in the Iolani Classic in Hawaii. The team that they beat by 1 point was from the NE Corner of the US.