The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   170 - 35 (100-12 at half)...Starters start 2nd Half (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/56287-170-35-100-12-half-starters-start-2nd-half.html)

CMHCoachNRef Wed Jan 06, 2010 05:02pm

170 - 35 (100-12 at half)...Starters start 2nd Half

High School Blog - Another coach defends decision in lopsided game - ESPN Dallas

Thoughts?

Adam Wed Jan 06, 2010 05:08pm

During the game, NMB.

As a fan of the game, I'm not sure, but it would depend on how long the starters played in the 2nd half.

fiasco Wed Jan 06, 2010 05:16pm

The more interesting thing to me, was the incident in the second half. Seems from the interview that both benches cleared completely as a result of a "hard foul."

Everyone who wasn't on the floor when the play happened was DQ'd. So the game continued with just 10 total players eligible.

Crazy crazy game.

Freddy Wed Jan 06, 2010 05:17pm

Bet It Was a Close Game at the Jump Ball

Quote:

Originally Posted by CMHCoachNRef (Post 648923)
Thoughts?

Thought #1) At least it didn't go into overtime. :)
Thought #2) Not really an officiating issue.
Thought #3) Were plumbers doing the game? ;)
Thought #4) I wonder what this coach's peers are saying about this account on whatever coaching discussion board there might be.

fiasco Wed Jan 06, 2010 05:20pm

This coach is definitely getting a bad rap, IMO. He's getting criticized for keeping his starters in the game for such a long period of time, especially in the second half.

But, he played all 15 of his players in the 1st half.

Then, he brought out his starters to start the 3rd quarter. This is pretty much common practice from what I understand, even with a big lead. You have to keep your best playersr "fresh."

Then, with only a little over a minute gone in the 3rd quarter, the "scuffle" happened, and everyone except the starters who were on the floor were DQ'd. So he had no choice but to play them the entire second half.

How is that bad sportsmanship?

CoachCER Wed Jan 06, 2010 05:31pm

I usually go back to my starters in the second half with a big lead (under 25 points). Anything over that, and I see no need of putting them back on the court. If you are beating a team by 88 and have hit the century mark at half, then your own practice is significantly more competitive than what the other team is putting on the court against you.

I just can't defend the coach here for any reason.

jdmara Wed Jan 06, 2010 05:35pm

If you're up by that many points at halftime, you go into a passing "offense" where you only shoot layups. If you don't get a layup, then you don't shoot it. There is no call for this big of a margin. I thought my 100-34 game last night was poor sportsmanship

-Josh

chseagle Wed Jan 06, 2010 06:27pm

Let me guess throughout the game the team that won was running a full court press defense throughout the game, & the only way the opposing team could easily get the ball in would of been to run a 2-person OOB.

Having so many players DQ'd, from each team, shouldn't that of ended the game?

jdmara Wed Jan 06, 2010 06:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by chseagle (Post 648961)
Let me guess throughout the game the team that won was running a full court press defense throughout the game, & the only way the opposing team could easily get the ball in would of been to run a 2-person OOB.

Can I ask what level you've officiated and for how long?

-Josh

TimTaylor Wed Jan 06, 2010 06:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdmara (Post 648968)
Can I ask what level you've officiated and for how long?

-Josh

Josh....none and never....he runs the clock......

Nevadaref Wed Jan 06, 2010 07:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by chseagle (Post 648961)

In NV, three or more people leaving the team bench during an altercation makes that team forfeit. If both teams have three or more come off, then the game is terminated and ruled a double forfeit per a state association regulation.

In short, this game would have ended right then and there in my state.

Camron Rust Wed Jan 06, 2010 08:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 648993)
In NV, three or more people leaving the team bench during an altercation makes that team forfeit. If both teams have three or more come off, then the game is terminated and ruled a double forfeit per a state association regulation.

In short, this game would have ended right then and there in my state.

I don't see that in "the" rulebook! :D

Welpe Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:49pm

In case y'all were wondering, this was not one of my games. ;)

I am curious to hear if there will be any communication from our chapter about this game.

mutantducky Thu Jan 07, 2010 03:06am

the coach is a jackass

Nevadaref Thu Jan 07, 2010 03:33am

"Yates High School, near Houston..."

This is the same school which just participated in the NFHS sponsored tournament in Mobile, Alabama.

How embarrassing for the NFHS to have them display a total lack of sportsmanship against a much weaker opponent. :eek:

*The school easily won both of its games in the tournament.