The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Oct 18, 2008, 03:17pm
Official Forum Member

start second half.

nfhs boys basketball , what is the correct procedure for starting the second half after the final horn sounds and a) the throw-in does not take the court in a resaonalble amount of time or b) the defensive does not take the court in a reasonable amount of time.
Old Sat Oct 18, 2008, 03:46pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rpirtle Send a message via Yahoo to rpirtle
Use RPP (Resumption of Play Procedure)

I believe that after a time-out or the intermission between any quarter, the resumption-of-play procedure (RPP) is used (7.5.1). The timer will sound the authorized warning signal and final signal. The administering official will then sound the whistle to indicate play will resume.
In each situation:
a. The ball is put in play if Team A is ready or the ball is placed on the floor.
b. The throw-in count begins and if a violation occurs, the procedure will be repeated for Team B.
c. Following a violation by one team only, if that team continues to delay when authorized to make a throw-in, it is a technical foul.
d. Following a violation by both teams, any further delay by either team is a technical foul.
Old Sat Oct 18, 2008, 07:07pm
Esteemed Participant

I know that in NCAA they have one minute after the final horn to end halftime, and I believe the same is true (it used to be anyway) for NFHS...so be careful about using the RPP too early.
Old Sat Oct 18, 2008, 07:10pm
Official Forum Member

If both teams are on the court (that is, at the benches), then use the RPP procedure.

If one team is still in the locker room, then start the timer. If they don't get out within a minute, it's a technical foul
Old Sat Oct 18, 2008, 09:02pm
Official Forum Member

Hopefully the game administrator and/or official timer fulfilled their responsibility of advising the team in the locker room that the half had (two or three?) minutes left (two or three minutes ago).

http://forum.officiating.com/showthr...558#post479558
Old Sun Oct 19, 2008, 08:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RefLarry View Post
Hopefully the game administrator and/or official timer fulfilled their responsibility of advising the team in the locker room that the half had (two or three?) minutes left (two or three minutes ago).

http://forum.officiating.com/showthr...558#post479558
Three minutes.
Old Sun Oct 19, 2008, 08:59am
Esteemed Forum Member

Can Play With Them, Can't Play Without Them ...

2-4-4: The referee shall be responsible for having each team notified three minutes before each half is to begin.

2-12-1: The timer shall: Note when each half is to start and shall notify the referee more than three minutes before this time so the referee may notify the teams, or cause them to be notified, at least three minutes before the half is to start.

Lets assume that the referee, at the beginning of halftime, tells the timer to notify both teams when there are three minutes left in the halftime intermission. The timer only tells the home team. The visitors fail to come onto the court in a timely manner after the halftime intermission. I would hope that the Purpose and Intent of the Rules would allow the referee to send someone to the locker room to get the visiting team, and wait a reasonable length of time, before he, or she, charges a technical foul to the visiting team?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Oct 19, 2008 at 09:03am.
Old Sun Oct 19, 2008, 03:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I would hope that the Purpose and Intent of the Rules would allow the referee to send someone to the locker room to get the visiting team, and wait a reasonable length of time, before he, or she, charges a technical foul to the visiting team?

Yep. If the teams aren't out in a reasonable time (say, 1 minute prior to the end of the half), I check with the table to be sure the teams were notified. If not, I stop the clock and have them notified, then restart the clock when I think it's "fair" (and I admit that's subjective).
Old Sun Oct 19, 2008, 07:46pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
If both teams are on the court (that is, at the benches), then use the RPP procedure.

If one team is still in the locker room, then start the timer. If they don't get out within a minute, it's a technical foul
Bob, I'm not sure that the rule reads that way. I don't see it as making any distinction between whetherr they are at the bench or still in the hallway or anything else. If they consume more than one minute before being ready to play, it's a T.