The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Nov 20, 2004, 01:24am
Official Forum Member

Question

Same state championship game as my last post. On the last play of the 1st half there was a dead ball personal foul by the defense. I was thinking, extend the half, but they said "DB personal foul against the defense which will be enforced on the 2nd half kickoff."

3-3-3a says "A period must be extended by an untimed down if during the last timed down there is a foul, other than USC or nonplayer, by either team, and the penalty is accepted.
I know a DB PF is administered from the SSpot, but it was not a USC or nonplayer, so shouldn't the half have been extended for one untimed down after the penalty enforcement???
Old Sat Nov 20, 2004, 01:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MJT
Same state championship game as my last post. On the last play of the 1st half there was a dead ball personal foul by the defense. I was thinking, extend the half, but they said "DB personal foul against the defense which will be enforced on the 2nd half kickoff."

3-3-3a says "A period must be extended by an untimed down if during the last timed down there is a foul, other than USC or nonplayer, by either team, and the penalty is accepted.
I know a DB PF is administered from the SSpot, but it was not a USC or nonplayer, so shouldn't the half have been extended for one untimed down after the penalty enforcement???
Enforce on the 2nd half kickoff. The key words in 3-3-3a are "during the last timed down." In this case, it was a deadball foul, which wouldn't have been during the down, so enforce from the succeeding spot, which would be on the kickoff.
Old Sat Nov 20, 2004, 01:46am
Official Forum Member

Exactly, it has to be an accepted live ball foul that's not USC or nonplayer.
Old Sat Nov 20, 2004, 11:04am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Point taken! I'm glad they got it right.
Old Mon Nov 22, 2004, 04:56am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Lightbulb Canadian Ruling

Quote:
Originally posted by MJT

2nd half kickoff.